Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Protien? Amino Acids? Help!!

So – Nuts only have some of the amino acids we’re supposed to have – I’ve gone raw (just recently) but am continuing to have chilled chicken breast….in small amounts – because I want to have the full range of amino acids

Does anyone know how to do that w/out eating the cooked meat? Is it a huge deal that I still eat a little meat each day? (I used to be a partial vegitarian – & I never ate red meat – but have eaten white meat on a consistant basis….)

Usually if I don’t eat a full complete diet with all of the amino acids our body needs, I gain a ton of weight – even though activity & eating habits don’t change….

I used to get the complete aminos from a balanced legume/nut & grain diet—but now I need help! :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Oh yeah – I’m lame – my eating habits did change – there was just the minus the meat—my bad! :) still it shouldn’t have made me gain weight….

• HEMP PROTEIN POWDER!!!!!

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

you are not getting full range of aminos when you cook your meat.

complete proteins in my diet are seeds, spirulina, goji berries bee pollen. thats all i know off hand.

make a trail mix with your favorite nuts if you want aswell.

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

There are 8 essential amino acids. These are ones that your body cannot produce and it must be provided in your diet. When you cook food, the protein molecules get rearranged and like worleyhimself said, you are not getting all that you think you are getting.

The 8 essential amino acids that you need in your diet are easily provided by a large array of fruits and vegetables, grains nuts and seeds. A lot of greens have all 8. Bananas, apples, lettuce, the list is endless.

As for how much protein, did you know there is a danger to eating too much protein? And less is actually better. You need to try raw vegan to believe it. If you were not getting your protein, you would always be a weak as a toad and you would not have any muscles.

Complete proteins ins in almost every raw vegan food there is (not every). And cooked too. Beans, especially black beans and lentils are extremely high in protein. The problem with this is, that you can eat too much. Also, sprouts (which are much healthier) such as alfalfa has like I think 25-30% protein. Other sprouts like lentils and mung beans are higher Some sprouts have as much as 40-50% protein but I forget which ones those were. Just remember that too much protein does not digest well and it iwll make you tired. Furthermore, if you eat too much of these high protein foods (such as nuts and seeds) you will become acidic if you are not eating enough greens and such.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i REALLY wouldn’t worry too too much about the nutrient content of your food. raw foods contain a spectrum of nutrient such that if you are eating a varied diet you should be getting all you need. (hint: you don’t need that much, you just need to not be eating things that DETRACT from the balance of your body)

i was anemic before going raw, so my concern was iron. i got a blood test a few months later and my iron was higher than my brother’s (who eats everything). our knowledge of nutrition is VERY VERY VERY flawed. eat reasonably and see where that leads you…

are you sure that is the reason you were gaining weight? were you raw?

i’d focus on greens and fruit (on an empty stomach only). remember: FRESH produce is “raw” already. =)

bestest success!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

chia seeds, buckwheat, and goji berries all have a full range of the 8 essential amino acids. i wouldn’t worry too much about it, its not easy to have a protein deficiency!

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Yeah, I would not worry about it either! Though it is both funny and sad to hear about all the people who try vegan. They end up in the hospital because they do not know what they are doing and feel weak because of a messed up metabolism (they are hungry all the time) and are detoxifying. They automatically assume that they are killing them self, their uncle harry was right all along. So, they go to the ER and the doctors LOAD them with fear and put them on liquid protein through an IV and after two weeks or so, they are “normal.” They then continue eating the way they normally do because they have found out that being a vegan makes you low on protein. Not true.

• As mentioned, you do not have to eat chicken to meet your protein requirements. Here is a list I compiled so when I get asked, “Where do you get your protein from if you don’t eat meat”, as I’m sure many of you have gotten, I can show them that plenty of non-meat options exist.

http://www.fountainofjuice.org/high-quality-pro…

Hope this helps!

• I agree with all the previous responses and just wanted to throw wheatgrass juice into the discussion as well. It has all the essential amino acids and every vitamin and mineral necessary for human nutrition. It’s pretty powerful stuff.

• awesom! I just started sprouting my quinoa – so, hopefully that will help & I eat a lot of goji berries in a trailmix I make….

Just curious if any of you know if you can sprout buckwheat? I don’t really know how else to eat it – does it have gluten? I have to be gluten-free….

thanks for the website, jrpatti – it was really helpful & I’ve been looking for similar stuff online, but haven’t been able to…

Also – I LOVE LOVE LOVE wheatgrass! People think I’m crazy, cuz I drink it all the time…but it’s sooooo yummy! Is protein in wheatgrass?