Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Junk food really not good anymore

SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

So, with Easter approaching, every desk is full of little Easter eggs with chocolate bunnies and gifts being distributed all over the place. I managed to ‘just say no’ for days (some more challenging than others). Then today, someone placed mini peanut butter cups in front of me and I just couldn’t say no. I ate 2 of them along with 3 or 4 other mini eggs. About 10 minutes later, my stomach was upset and making terrible noises. It just made me not want to have anymore and it will make me think twice the next time. It was not worth it AT ALL.

This will definitely help me to stay raw. If I know that I will have a bad reaction then I just won’t eat it. It’s like setting a ball in motion and having it look after itself. How nice.

Comments

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

thanks!! I know peanut butter cups are the ultimate temptation but I don’t want to give in this year so your experience will help remind me how it will feel!

• I noticed my stomach has been hurting today from eating some non raw food yesterday and a little today. can this be true? are we always going to feel like this if we ever eat non-raw? I’m fairly new to raw so i’m still a newbie, but I guess this is a good thing if so?!

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Oh peanut butter cups… decadent little bundles of pure EVIL! Heh… my son brought home a bag of those little mini pb cups from school yesterday and I went to town on them last night. Oh. My. God. I nearly threw up. I mean ran-to-the-bathroom nearly threw up. I did eat considerably more than two, though… not tellin’ how many. ;o) But suffice to say, from now on I’m thinking the temptation to eat those evil things will be outweighed by the memory of that gaggy feeling.

I worked out extra hard today. ;o)

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

I am not looking at this as a bad thing – I think this is good.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I’ve been 70-80% raw for a couple years now. I used to have massive carb cravings, and I finally realized it was because I wasn’t eating enough, and my body was very angry with me. I firmly believed undereating was the key to longevity, but now I realize it’s probably something I need to build up to gradually, not something most people can do right away on a raw food diet. I’m one of those people who needs extra protein in my diet, even though I’m sure I wasn’t getting enough healthy fats and carbs, either. I used to go to Whole Foods just for the free samples! Once I upped my caloric intake, the cravings went away. Now I can say no to junk food, and absolutely mean it.

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

I agree with you achin70. When I bring a smoothie to work with me, I have absolutely no inclination to eat any junk. If I bring a small lunch and no smoothie, things are getting pretty tense in the late afternoon. ;). I suppose I need to get past the anticipated reaction of my coworkers. I find myself hiding to drink it – like it’s illegal or something LOL….that way, I won’t have to get into the big discussion. I’m sure this is more my problem than theirs. I’m not feeling ready to defend my choice yet.

• Not to freak you guys out (well maybe I am) but my friend told me a story about a friend of hers that bought some reeses cups and bit into one and there were maggots in the middle! EWWW!!! I quit eating them after that! And my brother in law stopped eating them too after I told him the story. So yeah I have no problems staying away from those.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Yes, people at my meditation class find my green smoothies rather amusing! They sure like most of my raw desserts, though. I think the desserts help make the raw foods diet seems a little less unacceptable to them.

Anyways, all the protein (I use hemp protein powder and chlorella) and fiber (not to mention the minerals) in the smoothies really keep the blood sugar stable! :)

• Well maybe you can make raw counterparts to the easter time snacks next year and share with your friends. Let them have what they want only better for them. Do good and you will feel good. Altho sometimes the eating non-raw food might be a psychological matter. Sometimes we think we are eating something we shouldnt and our mind makes us feel these things we think we are too feel. So if we have a minor slip-up and think positively that our bodies are strong enough to handle these demons and let them pass through us without pain then we can survive it. Think about it. Our bodies can really do wonders if we just let it and let it know we know that as well.