Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Rejuvelac

So I just made my first batch of rejuvelac, and it smells like crap. I know the groats were still good,and I only fermented it for 60(ish) hours, so the rejuvelac itself didn’t go bad. Is this smell normal? If it is normal, how on earth do you drink it?! Can I add something to make it taste better?

Comments

• Was it a sour smell or a decyish moldy smell? I never made one with a really bad smell. It could have got some bad bacteria in it and the whole thing went south. My batched normally taste fine with a slightly twangy smell but not a bad one. The true way to know is if you take a small small sip and it has a bad bad taste then it went south. Maybe next time you should let it ferment for less time like 24 to 48 hours depending on the temp in the place you have it.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

wow. i don’t get rejuvelac AT ALL. i have tried making it several times, naively thinking the “next time would be better.” couldn’t stomach it. it doesn’t make sense to me that you would want to eat/drink something that smells bad.

if you’re bent on drinking it… it’s called for in a lot of raw “cheese” recipes, in which i would imagine the taste gets muted.

also you can squeeze lemon in it, which i’ve heard makes it keep longer (until it turns REALLY bad smelling?! don’t know…)

=)

• I want to drink it because I’m hoping it will help with some of my digestive issues… but MAN is it rank! It doesn’t smell moldy… just fermented and weird (which is fitting). It tastes slightly better than it smells, but I was still only able to drink 6 oz. I’ll try it with some lemon in the morning, and see how that goes. Thanks guys!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

there’s also cabbage juice (natural acidophilous), or ginger juice in water that might work.

hope you feel better.

• Hi kathryntheraw, what kind of groats did you use? I have found the only ones I can stomach is rye, it turns into a light, bubbly lemonish type of a drink. It took me a bit to get used to it, but now, I really enjoy it. It’s like the first time I tried wine, didn’t like it at all, but then I really enjoyed it. I soak them, then let them grow for about 2 days. Then it’s chill time, I like it really cold.

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

it took me about 5 batches of ‘repulsivelac’ before i couldnt take it anymore , the odor could kill a triceratops ;-)

then recently i read where the ann wigmore foundation / retreat whom were very high on this for decades started having batches tested for bacteria types and found that there were alot of bad bacteria along with good so discontinued its use on their patients and started using cabbage to make their probiotic drink . but i hear it doesnt have the most pleasant odor either .

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

I’m making it right now and this is the third day (i think) of letting it ferment and so far, the water tastes sweet to me. Is THIS normal? I’m leaving it on the counter another day just in case. It also has a pickley tint as well as smell, slightly though, because I’m fermenting it in a pickle jar!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Try making coconut kefir or nut mylk kefir instead if you don’t like rejuvelac. You can also break open a capsule of bacteria into the rejuvelac if you want to control what you’re growing.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I’ve never made it with groats before, but I’ve used rye and wheat. 60 hours is a very long time to ferment rejuvelac. I only ferment it 24 hours. Maybe yours is overly fermented.

• So wild osts has been out of soft winter wheat berries for weeks now and all this time I could have tried another grain? Raw Voice Real World gives a recipe for rejuvelac and it calls for the soft white berries. SO I can use Raw Rye? Is that what it’s called? I have heard some people say it aids in weight loss too. I will be guzzling this stuff if that’s true.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

LMAO @ michigan roman’s “repulsivelac”!!!

Gosh, I still have yet to try the stuff! I’m such a weeney!

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I want to try to make this and need recommendations for where to buy the seeds on line??? Also, did lemon help? Should I get rye berries instead of wheat? confused