Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

drunken eating

Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

OK so I’m not going to lie, I drink a lot. Right now I am drunk and I just ate a whole batch of walnut date brownies. And they were delicious!! I feel fine about eating all of that. At least I didn’t eat a pint of ice cream, right?

Is this OK? Is this better than non-raw drunk-eating? Because In have to eat SOMETHING when I’m drunk or I’ll be totally hungover tomorrow. So I ate a hell of a lot of trail mix and a ton of brownies. Which I have to make a new batch of tomorrow, which sucks but oh well.

But yeah, my point being, is this alright? I feel better about this then I do about my normal drunk food.

Comments

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Hysterical! Prolly better to eat raw than dairy or a double QP w/cheese but in general all that late night food sitting in your gut when the party is over isn’t going to do wonders for your health. On the other hand. Whatev. Its just food. :0)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

your body and food intake will be changing SO much. what feels good now may not feel good later (and vice versa), so it’s good to rely on your body-awareness a lot, rather going “well, yesterday i wanted this, so i’ll have it from now on.”

are you interested in moderating your alcohol consumption at all? before i was raw i drank quite a bit of wine. i still have some on occasions (and believe me i NEVER thought i’d say that!), but i find i don’t really want to feel that way often. it used to be quite calming, but now i find it does the reverse. sometimes just having that possibility in the back of your mind will naturally lead you that… i really haven’t done anything special to moderate wine. it just happened…

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

Ehhh, if it happens that way then its ok, but I’m not really interested in moderating my alcohol consumption. “Functioning alcoholic” seems to work out pretty well for me.

Ugh, yeah nuts didn’t work out so well for me. So what did I do? I woke up and ate the rest of the nuts, even though I felt like crap from the nuts.

Slaps hand to forehead Stupid, stupid, stupid….... Now I’m going to feel all bloated and nasty all day and drink again tonight and feel worse. Then I’m drinking again tomorrow!!!! Why do all my various groups of friends require that I drink to not feel socially ostracized?

• Drink green juices spiked with blood oranges… It like “NIRVANA” and if you use the NUTMYLK bag technique to make it, it leaves a cute froth on the top like BEER, and just tell your friends it a new beer out. LOL

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

You Do not have to Be like this. I do not want to judge you Slosh-uh but let me at least tell you that you choose your friends. You do not have to get drunk every night. You do not have to do so just so that you will “fit in.” There is another way.

Besides Alcohol being dubbed “bad for you,” It is not wise and that road end at the death and destruction of your soul. Believe me, I have not ever drunk besides wine when I was in Haiti on a missionary trip (half a glass because t was served to me and I drank it), and I am only 17 years old right now. But I have done other things and I have been down those roads and I know where they lead.

Right now, my sister, who I love so much, is in JAIL because she was hanging around the WRONG crowd.

bold Why do all my various groups of friends require that I drink to not feel socially ostracized?

Because you are not hanging around very good friends. Though it might sound like elementary, this is peer pressure. Please, you do not need to be like that. You do not have to be like your friends. You are special and you are made different from them. You are special because you are made different.

About Alcohol making people happy… I do not think it makes them happy. Once they are not drunk anymore, they have the hangovers and all and they get depressed again.

The bible says not to get drunk on wine. As the book of Timothy says, “drink no longer water only but use a little wine for they stomach’s sake and thine often infirmities.” It says not to get drunk on wine. So, if someone is admitting to a drinking problem, they are admitting that they are disobeying and dishonoring God. For some, this is not a problem, just believe he does not exist. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Please understand that I am no better than anyone else here. I am loved by God as much as all of you are. But these issues need to be brought to the Light. If you want peace, Love and joy, the ONLY way to achieve that is by giving your life to Jesus. And you do not do that by going to church and holding out for just a little longer. You do that by repenting, and asking him into your heart. Your life will never be the same again!

How do I know that? Because I was a wretched man and he saved me!

So, is it better than a non raw drunk? No. For one, it is very bad for your health but you are hurting your self and you do not even see it. The end of this road leads to destruction. Broad is the way that leads to destruction and there are many that go there but narrow is the way that leads to life and there are few that find it. You know why few find life? Because men love darkness rather than light and they do not come to the light because they do not want their deeds to be reveled.

God Bless you all! I will be praying for you and you cannot stop me.

So, you want to get rid of this Alcohol? Get it the shower, and do Hot and Cold Hydrotherapy. One minute VERY HOT (not to burn you but hot) water and then one minute as cold as it gets water, repeated 7-10 times. Then, go for a walk or do something that gets you sweating.

• Oh please spare us the preaching! It’s nauseating to have a 17 yr old kid preach to us about booze. And to have the bible thing thrown at us again.....how judgemental and totally unappropriate. Not good to go throwing stones! I could write a lot more angry words but I don’t think you’re worth the time or trouble.

A couple of things. I am not mad and anyone.

Thank you Rawkinroll for saying that! You know not many people would tell me the truth. But tell me, if what I say is true, why or how is it judgmental or unappropriated? It is either that what I say is true and I do not judge anyone, or that you have a problem with what I said.

Furthermore, she asked if it was Okay, I told her my answer.

I actually would not mind being laughed at if that is what you guys want to do but I needed to way what I said.

How is it judgmental?

• honeywaterhoneywater Raw Newbie

bible talks can be frustrating. i, for example, am agnostic. we just can’t assume the original poster believes in god.

not to start any drama or anything! just wanted to throw that out there.

• slosh-uh, you’re 19, you can get away with pretty much anything. yes, it’s healthier to binge on healthy food than non healthy food. no, heavy drinking isn’t a very healthy habit. yes, i got drunk all the time when i was your age. no, i don’t get drunk all the time now. yes, you can still hang out with your friends and not drink as much. no, you don’t have to change unless you want to. you have lots of time to reverse the damage.

however, would 28 year old me tell 19 year old me to cut back on the drinking? maybe, but not because of the health consequences. only because i wish i had spent more time on things that truly enriched my life, had allowed myself to be real, instead of trying to fit in socially.

trust me, this is hardly judgement coming from me. ha! like i’d have any place. i used to cary a large quantity of whiskey in a spaghetti sauce jar in my trunk. Because I had broken a bottle, and wanted to save the booze, so I strained it in there. Then I kept doing it because it was a conversation starter.

so i think if you’re eating healthy and exercising, you can for sure get away eith what you’re doing at your age. my only advice is not to let your life’s passion fall by the wayside. trust me, you won’t remember those crazy nights you spent, drinking and breaking into the hyatt gym nearly as well as you will your art, whatever form it takes.

• I’m glad this topic hasn’t been overrun with preachy comments. .. just a few. ;]

Slosh-uh, I’m in a similar boat.. I stopped smoking for a bit about six months ago and noticed I had stopped hanging out with any of my friends. It’s a method of socializing.. It’s a reason to gather up a group of friends and have a night of fun. It makes me feel a certain way, and I like it. And damn it I eat food after I do this too! hahaha..

It’s not affecting my life negatively and I’m still functional by all means, but sometimes I get shit from other people for being a raw vegan who still partakes in social drinking and other recreational activities.

I recently came to the same realization that life is short- and I do NOT want to look back on my life and wish I would have hung out with friends and made connections with people instead of being so obsessed with certain things. I don’t want to regret anything. I want to look back and say damn, that was a good time. I want to smile every time I get a flashback of my ‘youth’. I’m 21, but I definitely consider myself young. I do what makes me happy, and I live my life for me and only me. I’ve been called greedy and selfish because of it. Oh effing well.

JoyceH I just wanted to say you seem like an awesome person!!

and thanks to all of the posters who didn’t try to preach about this topic. I’m sure we all know the consequences of drinking by now. :)

• I’m with Ardesmond2. Green juice is key, any green juice: cilantro, parsley, kale, spinach, celery, etc.

After a few drinks, your liver stops processing carbohydrates because it needs to work on the alcohol (which it regards as poison), so all of the carbohydrates in your system get diverted to the fat near your gut. That’s why people get beer guts.

So if you are going to drink alcohol, give your body a break afterwards by having some green juice. It feels very cleansing. Save the brownies for later.

Wow I didn’t mean to start and kind of religious debate on here. Believe me, religion and “repenting” are the very very last things on my mind.

Anyways, thanks for the really good advice, Mandelicious. That’s probably some of the best advice concerning drinking that I’ve gotten thus far in my life. I have a couple of friends who I see drinking so much that they have forgotten their hobbies. As far as my hobbies go, I do music. I play bass in a band, and I love love love it. It makes me feel so good to be a part of the band, playing music with them (and alone) gives me satisfaction that drinking never could. And I don’t want that to change! So thanks for the advice. I rarely take advice, so that’s kind of saying something about how good that advice seems.

And Joyce, I saw that quote on a t-shirt at Sacramento Brewing Company once, I believe its a quote from Thomas Jefferson? Or maybe it was Edison. It was someone alone those lines. Either way, its a great quote, and you are freakin rad.

Mango Woman, you had some awesome input too. I guess life is about doing things in moderation? Seems like a good theory to me.

I love this website. There are so many great people on here with things to say that I would never hear elsewhere.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

yes, bible talks irritate me quite a bit as well. that said, i’m definitely not judging you or your drinking habits slosh-uh, but i figured i’d put in my two cents. i used to be a heavy drinker myself. and i mean HEAVY. binge drinking was a completely regular part of my life, mostly because it was pretty much a given when hanging out with my friends. i don’t drink anymore, even though i hang out with the same crowd, because i decided it was a contradiction for me to be eating raw and talking about healthy eating and so on and being a heavy drinker. this isn’t like a “i used to be like you and now i’m better” kind of thing at all, i’m just offering my own experience. and yeah, binging on raw food is definitely better than non-raw. although green juice is definitely better than walnut date brownies, lol!

Yeah I think I’ll have a couple glasses of green juice at the ready for when I get home from the bar tonight, so that way I can see how much better than could make me feel. Probably a lot better!

• Slosh-uh I just posted a juice I would really recommend you try…..called PINK & YELLOW = Green Juice

• slosh, it makes me feel good that you liked my advice! and maybe it’s not too late for me to live the dream either, we’ll see.

by the way, i still have a glass of wine now and again as well. i had some last night, actually. and it came from a box. and it was good! 3 bandits. good wine, great packaging.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I enjoy red wine here and there. While I would once accompany such a drink with a cheese plate, I now create a plate of hummus, raw crackers or sliced cucumbers and raw olives. Yum! And, perhaps a nice big glass of water between each drink.

• Being hungover most times does not come from not having something in your stomach, it comes from being dehydrated. Juices are great – so is drinking at least a glass of water before every drink. Also you may want to stay away from foods that are too salty – that could make you feel worse. I find that I cannot drink when eating 100% raw – makes me quite ill.

I am a big believer in just listening to your body instead of fighting it. You are the only one who knows how you feel and can tell your body what it needs.

Good luck!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Well, I suppose if you are going to pork out on something, raw is better than cooked!

But, eating raw and organic is a way to rid your body of toxins. If i drink, i feel like i am defeating the purpose. Don’t get me wrong here, i am not holy and pure, I still drink on occasion. But getting drunk, I don’t do that anymore! The next day is a write off, and i feel like I have just willing poisoned myself! Also, it is easy to throw the whole raw thing out the window and eat whatever when you are not in your right mind!!

• SHGADWA - You tell ‘em!!!!!Interesting that so many people who have admitted previously to having control issues also have issues with God…..

• juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

I am in the same boat! I am in university so binge drinking is the norm…however I have cut back, I am just not ready to give it up completely.

Just focus on doing what makes you happy and you will always be living a fulfilled life!

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Yes, Shgadwa, keep going! Don’t mind what others say. You are right and we all know it. I know you are not preaching, you are just stating the facts. People say that to me too whenever I try to say anything about God and such. I really enjoy your opinions, especially since you are about my age. (I’m almost 16) It’s great to see someone stand up for God and the Bible here. There is nothing judgmental about what you say. You’re just spreading the Word, as we were told to do. Thanks for your posts. They rock. You seem like a great, mature young person, of which there are so few today. I am glad to find someone my age who shares my views.

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

superkat92 – I know you and shagdwa mean well but I think everyone has a right to believe in whatever they want. Some people believe in god and the bible and others have completely different beliefs and opinions. It’s all good!!! We are all on our own life journeys! Diversity is a good thing!

Religion is such a delicate subject, especially with such a mixed audience who have many different beliefs, life styles, backgrounds, cultures, etc, etc. The original poster was only asking about what kind of foods to eat after drinking alcohol. I don’t think she was looking for whether the bible states it’s right or wrong. Perhaps she’s agnostic or follows a different religion that doesn’t recognize the bible and god. And if that’s the case, there is nothing wrong with that. I personally found the post to be rather abrasive as I don’t follow the bible myself(I have read it and found it interesting as well as other religious literature. I personally love to learn about other religions but don’t follow any particular one. I try to remain neutral and open minded)

Religion is facinating but it can also be a dangerous topic in a diverse forum such as this. Some feel shgadwa’s post is offensive and preachy while others support it. I don’t want to take sides but perhaps we should leave the ‘right and wrong’ talk concerning the bible and god to religious or christian specific websites where everyone is on the same page and shares the same religious beliefs. I have no issues with god or any particular religion but I would rather not see anyone feel bad because they drink alcohol and enjoy the occasional binge. (I drank my share of beer in college and a lot more in Ireland and I personally wouldn’t change a thing if I could do it all over again.) I think it was brave to start this thread and I was disappointed to see shagdwa’s response. To me it felt extremely self righteous even if he had the best and kindest intentions. That’s just how I see it.

• Perfectly said, JoyceH! I was going to make a comment, but you said it all.

• I remember that…but both folks who commented who are young (which I am not) are speaking with the same passion that they believe in…I am glad that they feel strongly about positive aspects in their life…look at most other teens and you will see what great perspective these two have. I think that earlier comments badgered SHGADWA, not just voiced opinions.

• Hi Slosh uh.

Been lurking on this forum a bit, just learning stuff. Been raw for about 6wks i think (could be more actually, im losing track).

Anyways i just wanted to respond to this post. Ive had to give up drinking for health reasons well before going raw. In my time (and no im not that old, late 20s) ive probs drank more than most do in their entire lives, i loved drinking, my friends all drunk, we had loads of fun.

Its possible my heavy drinking contributed to my later health problems when ive sat back and analysed things. Do i regret it? No, not one second of it. I had a blast doing it, while i wish i never got as sick as i have the journey to wellness has taught me alot and ive become who i am through that journey.

If you want to keep drinking thats fine. If your doing it just to fit in, word of advice, your friends love you, not your drinking ability, and despite all the fun and games they have drinking, when it comes down to it if your out having fun with them they get over that you dont drink and have a good time with you. If your comfortable with your choices, and i mean completely comfortable people dont hassle you to drink with them for long, as long as you dont then have a bad time because your not drinking it wont matter, people like to drink with you because likely your alot of fun drunk (most people are to other drunks) if you continue to have fun sober, its not an issue.

As far as raw late night snacks, dont stress on it, raw food is always going to be a better choice than a cheeseburger.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Well said, JoyceH!!! And kebbster, great input as well. Slosh-uh: Thanks for starting this topic. I’m committed to 98% raw, but I’m saving a little percent for my weekend drinks. I eat raw snacks after it, and I certainly feel better the next day than when I ate Taco Smell. I down a bunch of fruit with nut butter – it’s easily digested so you can go to sleep and not have a stomach ache. Green juices sound like a good idea too.

• honeywaterhoneywater Raw Newbie

i don’t have any issues with god because i don’t believe in him.

really, god/religion/whatever should not have even been brought up in this thread. sorry if i’m being a jerk, i’m not usually offended by much, but i haven’t slept in days and i am insanely cranky. bleh!