Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

New to Raw!?

Comments

• I am trying to find the lists you mention of what is raw and what is not- where can I find them? Thanks

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi rawyummy…go back to the first post on this topic by kandace and click on the links:)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Here’s another resource thread for topics related to newbies: Newbie Page. Your contribution to this page and the Newbie Page pays it forward to another newbie.

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

Hello, I am new here. I am about 80% raw now, still eating a little dairy and steamed veges.

I tend to eat whole raw foods, I don’t know about all these smoothies and dehydrated foods. It seems like whooshing a live thing around in a blender can’t be to healthy for it, but I am probably over-thinking the whole thing. :) Is there anyone else that eats mostly whole foods here or do you know of a forum of whole food eaters?

It’s nice to meet you all!

Good heath and happiness to you.

• thanks Kandace and Zoe for so many things to help us on the way to RAW!!!! i really appreciate! as many as all i see here!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Thanks Tamar ;)

Here’s a link to The Dead Food List

• Hey i am new to this raw thing and i was hoping to go raw on december 1st i did most of my research, but it seems like i can not get used of the taste in my mouth the foods taste very earthy you know and i was wondering does anyone have any tips :)

• Hello all!

I'm new here and so far I love this site, with the exception that I can't logout. Could someone tell me where the logout button is or how to do it?

OK, back to raw. I have tried several times to go raw yet I ALWAYS get too weak to keep doing it. I do green smoothies but perhaps not enough. I'm eating one cooked meal a day and the rest raw. So far that's working for me but I'm not sure if I'll be able to go 100% raw if I keep getting weak.

This is VERY frustrating because I so want to go raw yet I always get weak. I always hear how people say they have tons of energy and they get their protein from plant sources only.

So WHY when I try that I get VERY weak in the middle of the day????? I tried almond powder for protein and NOTHING. Spirulina...NOTHING. Nuts...NOTHING. Avocados....NOTHING. The result is always the same, I get too weak to stay on a raw diet. Someone PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong!! Why can everybody do this and have tons of energy and I can't???????? Any suggestions???

Thanks.

John

• After reading through some of the posts I may have figured something out. Some one said to eat often, like every two hours. Even if it's nuts or snacks. I haven't been doing that.

I eat twice a day only. Breakfast and late afternoon. I think I'll try the eating more often. I also drink ten glasses of water a day. Too much?

Thanks.

• Hey Jfurgers, if you're eating one cooked meal a day then you're not eating raw. Even one cooked meal will make a big difference. I can think of two reasons you may be getting weak in the middle of the day. One would be you're eating too much fat. Things like nuts/seeds should be consumed in moderation. They're best digested when blended into nut mylks. Simply blend seeds or nuts with water. Depending on the strength of your blender and the type of nut/seed, you may want to strain through a nut milk bag or a sieve. Eating a large amount of nuts earlier in the day would definitely slow down digestion.

The second possibility would be that you're having some blood sugar balancing problems, and it drops its lowest in the middle of the day, likely to be picked up later on when you consume your cooked meal. I'd say if you're really serious about getting the benefits of a raw food diet, you need to get as close to 100% as you can. If you're going to eat cooked foods, steamed veggies are the easiest to digest and won't be too detrimental. Hope this helps.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

John, welcome to Gone Raw. There's a lot of excellent information on this site. The site is, however, in transition, which accounts for the lack of a logout link. Ray provided this "logout" URL several days ago: http://goneraw.com/logout. As a temporary solution you can paste it into your profile (the Bio section of Personal Information). When you're ready to log out, click on your name on "Who's Around," and then click on the logout link. Problem solved. When we evolve to a more polished homepage, I figure Kandace and Ray will add this feature. In the interim, this works fine.

For me going raw has been a process. I started with adding a little raw food to my diet and am increasing over time. I always have raw snacks with me, especially at work and when I travel (nuts, seeds, fruit, veggies, a smoothie in the fridge). When I feel hungry, empty, out of energy, I "snack." I don't necessarily limit myself to 3 meals in the traditional SAD style. A 30 ounce smoothie in the morning starts me off quite well, and gets me through the first four or five hours nicely. It usually includes mixed fruits and a green (baby spinach or alfalfa sprouts). I also find that a cooked meal does not "hold" me as long as a raw one.

The search feature is very powerful. Here's the link to my explanation for searching: http://www.goneraw.com/forum/love-new-search-features. It's the same link that Kandace currently has on the homepage. I would encourage you to take the time to experiment with the search features.

There's a Forums category called "New to Raw" (click the Forums tab, then "New to Raw") which has a lot of helpful information. You might want to surf there as well. Again, welcome and happy Rawking.

Brenda

• Hi there! My name is Kat and I've been introduced to raw by a friend about a year ago and been trying to transition to a raw diet for the last 3-4 months. I still haven't achieved it yet but i have not quit! I'm already vegetarian and have not found it easy to transition to vegan let alone raw. Right now I'm the only one in my family who is vegetarian. Just looking for support and so far all the recipes I've tried on here are awesome! Take care everyone!

• I am curious if anyone has any experience with purchasing ebooks or the like from thegardendiet.com (Jinjee and Storm Talifero). I clicked on a link that was emailed to me from them to purchase a 7-day raw program for $10. It sent me directly to PayPal. I paid and never got anything. I've emailed them 3 times with no response. Does anyone have any insight?

Shawna

www.gotgreensrevolution.com

• I don't know that I am going to become completely raw (I don't think my willpower is that strong!). I've recently gotten interested in running, and I find that what I eat during the day really affects how well I run later on in the day. I want to try an 80% or so raw diet to make sure I'm getting nutrients that are easy to digest, but I also want to make sure I am still going to be able to keep up with my running (between 4-8 miles a day). Does anyone have suggestions on how to formulate a diet that would allow me to have easily digestible foods that will give me the energy to run? I'm completely new to this idea!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Cas65 - There is at least one previous discussion on goneraw about/for raw athletes, and most people who posted were runners. Search for "raw athletes" - sorry I don't remember the title exactly.

• Hi Everyone!! My name is Cara and I have been planning my jump from SAD to raw for a few weeks. This week I've been trying some recipes daily and learning to use my blender. Its funny, cause I live in a house full of meat lovin' guys and have heard a fair amount of teasing. However, this week they have tried everything I have made and find it delicious, much to their chagrin. It was funny to see their faces turn from "Oooo gross" to "Wow, thats good" as they drank my green smoothie this morning. A few of them have admitted that they wouldn't mind getting more of "these things" in their diets. ( I do the cooking)Thanks to everyone who shares on this sight. Your recipes, advice, and guidance has made a HUGE impact on my research and confidence.

Cara

• Hello,

I'm pretty new to this raw diet, and just read through this list of "dead foods" and now I am very bummed... how do I find real raw ingredients?

Is it ok if some have been heated and are not completely raw? (for exemple the oats, or nuts that I really want to eat and are labeled raw but are maybe not)

I'm confused on how to do it since there is no way that I can grow my own ingredients...

Thanks for your insight!

Oh, I also have a question about going raw and nursing.

I've been vegetarian for 10 years or so, and eat fairly healthy, but I have been transitioning to raw by eating about 50% raw foods last week, and about 80% this week.

I have been more cranky and have had lots of BM (sorry TMI) but my baby seems more cranky as well...

I am wondering if I'm going too fast and too much toxins are going through the milk...

Anyone with experience or knowledge for my situation?

My baby is only 2 months old, so my milk is all he gets, but I want him to have good milk...

Thanks!

PS: I love all the recipes I find on this site, it is helping me a lot find interesting food/meals to eat and I am loving it! : )

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Cici, you might want to check out the information on the Family Forum for some suggestions on transitioning and nursing. It does seem to me that you might be trying to transition a bit too fast, even without nursing. It's been 30+ years since I had a nursing baby, but I seem to remember that at 2 months they were very sensitive to what I ate. Here's a link to the Family Forum page: http://www.goneraw.com/forums/family.

If you're new to the site, this link might also be helpful:Site Use Tips and Hints

• Awesome Kandace!!

• Thanks emtpdmom, I will do that : )

I thought I was not going too fast... I will try to slow down. Just raw food seems to taste so much better, and I so want my new baby to have good nutrients in his milk...

But I will check out and seek advises in the family place.

I am new to this site, so I am glad to find a place for help and support : )

Thanks so much for your tip : )

• I started eating 100% "raw" 26 days ago ... or so I thought! Thanks for posting this list of "dead" foods. I see I'm going to have to make some adjustments. Life is a process :)

• Hello Raw World out there,

This is so cool, having a place to talk, interact & question with like minded people. Im a 32 male whos been vegetarian for 17 years, 100% vegan for the last 5 yrs and now for my latest evolution I've officially been 100% raw for 40 days now, just after a 12 day seasonal transition cleanse. I have had some major help transitioning as I am lucky to live in Chicago and have had some meals at home from a fantastic Raw establishment here called "Karyns". Although I have been preparing my meals a couple of days a week, experimenting with recipes and honestly having a ball.

Today is officially my first day out there all alone... I love this site since Ive been recipe hunting and finding great ones!!I dont have a dehydrator as of yet but Im thinking on the new Excalibur, any thoughts or better suggestions would be great, Ive also admitted to myself that life in the Raw must include a VitaMix, which I already have the piggy bank started for. But for now, my blender & food processor be just fine.

Anyways, any suggestions would be great....

thanks

Alain

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

Ofaniel , i live in the suburbs of chicago ! :) how exciting. I have been wanting to try Karyn's. I read reviews and got mixed emotions on whether it is worth it. I need to take my hubby there as he is not open to Raw but I'd like him to taste some gourmet meals. We'll see....

I too have been wanting to get a vitamix but they are expensive. I have a cheapie blender that I make all my green smoothies in and it honestly works fine. But yes, a vitamix will be a future treat for myself! Costco sells them for $394, in case you're shopping for one!

• Hey Kitty,

OMG, Karyns is great, I highly recommend you go to their Sunday Brunch, its a great way to taste test a lot of items from their menu. Its all you can eat and Im sure even your husband will find something he likes. I hear ya on the expensive part of a Vitamix, which is why Im saving up to buying one. I too have a blender I use now which gets the job done but after usung a Vitamix (friends house) It is beyond necessary as a kitchen tool, its amazing actually, I wanted to take theirs home with me... As of right now Im really looking to buy a Dehydrator, I dont own one and they seem to be an equally important part of a Raw lifestyle. The Excalibur seems like a good one, do you have any suggestions?

• I've started eating raw and this is now the end of my first week. It's been really effortless. I would say I'm 98% raw. The only thing I've had which is not raw is a drizzle of balsamic on salad, but now I have Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, so I won't need to use balsamic anymore. (Although I may use it, now and then. I don't think it's necessary to be dogmatic about occasional seasoning things used in small amounts.) It's been so helpful to me to have this framework. My eating tends to be really messed up and I was constantly going back and forth between undereating and then binging on processed foods. Now, I'm just focused on eating whole, raw foods (I am avoiding the really doctored up raw concoctions), and it's allowed me to feel okay with eating more calories (1200ish) in a day than I ordinarily would feel comfortable with (I would always be way over or way under). And I know it's just the beginning, but my weight is dropping, and truthfully, I am not feeling as obsessed about it anymore, because I am focusing on the healthy things that are going into my body. I was really inspired by something I read in Live Food Factor last night about how after one year of eating raw, most of your body's cells will have been replaced by new cells that built upon raw food. For now, I'm eating fruit in the morning and afternoon, and then a big salad with tons of leafy greens and a small avocado, fresh herbs / green onion and some sliced or grated other veggies, tossed in cold pressed, unfiltered olive oil and now Apple Cider Vinegar. That does give me a bit of fat, but I am craving that at the moment. Perhaps also because I am still nursing my son, I don't know. I would really miss it if I had to cut out olive oil and avocados. I know some people are skeptical about too much fat, and there are different ideas about the right proportions, but for now, this feels great and it's definitely so much better than the (vegetarian) yoyo diet I was doing before.

• KittyKitty Raw Newbie

good to know! we will have to check it out on a sunday soon. My mom gave me her old cheap-o dehydrator. There isn't even a tempature control on it. I dont think it works very good :( I have not done much research on dehydrators myself.... if you REALLY want one and dont feel like buying a really expensive one , Walmart has them for $30-40. Personally, my first large purchase will be a vitamix. I saw this lady putting on a demo with one at Costco, I was dumbfounded! I stood right in front of her with my jaw dropped! lol.

• I am new to raw, so thanks for all your advice!

• This is my second day of consciously high raw! I challenged myself to a week of raw, at the end of the week I'll see if I feel any noticeable difference in health, outlook, etc! Right now I'm planning raw until dinner, and then if I want I can have something lightly cooked, unprocessed vegan food. Yum!

• I am on a journey in life to improve my health before it gets impossible to fix me. I love the idea of raw and strive to do it as much as I can. I live with 4 other adults, 2 teenagers, and 3 other kids under the age of 11. They aren't bothered by what I do, but they still eat a regular SAD diet, that I have to cook for them. It is a hassle to cook for them and me. I have been transitioning for 3 months. I am trying to kill off candida and fungus and molds in my blood and body. So, no sugar, what so ever. Also, no grains, except Quinoa and buckwheat. I am eating only almonds and pumpkin seeds for most of the rest of the nuts contain molds. I have lost weight, which is an added side bonus. I was overweight. But, I think it is because I can't find enough to eat most of the time. I am very hungry most of the day.

Do any of you have some ideas for me for meals or food that isn't sugar??? Almost all smoothies have some sort of sugar. It is very frustrating trying to find stuff to eat.

I will more thoroughly search the recipes on this site. The onion bread looks good, so far.

Thank all of you for any help ahead of time.

• juicefastfanjuicefastfan Raw Newbie

marypeyer...that might be a really good question to start a new forum topic for! I don't know how many people read this one and you might get many more answers if asked in a separate thread!! Welcome to goneraw!!