Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

New to Raw!?

Comments

• luxdivonluxdivon Raw Newbie

Well now that it's bumped up, maybe if i respond here, it'll catch on, and she'll get more suggestions :) Two things come to mind, which I think would meet your qualifications.

Raw pesto broccoli. Pesto could use almonds & sunflower seeds, with sunflower oil, garlic, onions, and of course basil. On top of zucchini, broccoli it's AMAZING. I could eat it everyday all day.

My favorite salad. Mixed greens with 1 whole zucchini, onions, sundried tomatoes, tomatoes(if you want), and add things like broccoli, and shredded carrots (unless there is too much sugar in carrots). top with sunflower seeds(or pumpkin) and a oil vinegarate Once again, i love this, could eat it everyday. And it fills me up really good too. hope this helps!

• I am finding it increasingly overwhelming when looking at delicious raw recipies and I dont have or cant get half the things!

I live in Denmark.

First of all I don't have a dehydrater but I am hoping to maybe get one for xmas. Second I don't have a juicer but I use y blender, I just hate losing the time.

I have seen that dulce is very healthy and people buy and use many seaweeds but I just can't find it here in denmark!

Heaps of oils and syrups that are used in the recepies, I just cant find raw and dont exist in denmark raw I think :( And websites explain how rare it is even to find raw nuts and oils and syrups even when they are said to be raw by producer..

I am eating normal green salad with tomatoes and peppers and dont know where to get a good raw dressing or taste, like seaweeds and raw spices.

I know many things can be bought from the internet, but I just can't afford it :( I truly wish there were easier ways to get these things, or maybe a cheap website? I got really stressed looking at the recepies :o

Right now I am thinking to stick with my fruit and green smoothies and have a boring salad but I would love to try the recepies I just can't find the right way to find the ingrediants the cheapest way..? I am already out of money 2 weeks into the month and its xmas and I havent gotten all gift shopping done but I also want to make some good and healthy food for myself and I worry I am not getting all I need :o I use Dried Gojis and a bit of bee pollen and honey in things, I also have raw cacao nibs and chia seeds and not raw carob but that is about it of superfoods and I try get as much as I can with out over doing it, they are soo expencive.. I cant eat some of everything each day...

I there any book or place that explains being raw for dummies? Like super slow mow and detailed? I have ordered some recepie books and another book for new raws but it would be sweet to not have to wait half a month for the books and maybe try out some easy recepies and find cheap raw stuff before? ^^ Thanks for reading, sorry If I seem very negative, this site just got me a little frustrated and confused, I have been trying to be as raw as I can be for just a week now..

• Hello fellow raw foodies,

I

Let's see what can I say about myself. Well, i live in the Netherlands.

I am not really new to raw, i have done it in the past. I still drink my almond milk every other day and i eat a few other dishes which are raw. But i am not 100 percent RAW.

I have decided to sign up (yeah after almost 1 year of snooping around and coming on regularly for recipes), because i am determine to go 100 percent raw in the near future. I was hoping some of the veterans can give me tips on how this can be done and how they have done it. It is very important to me that my transition is done gradually. In addition i try to keep my diet as alkaline ( or balanced) as possible.

Yeah, so you know it is fun eating out with friends (NOT).

Anyhow, i know everyone is cool and very helpful on here.

P.S.

I haven't had meat in over a decade. So i'm not really a virgin so to speak. Oh, and i have stopped using soya products almost 1 year now.

• Thanks for the list!

• Hi everyone! I'm not 100% raw but vegetarian and trying to eat more raw foods. The problem I have is preparing it. This site is perfect! Thank you for creating it. I'm looking forwarded in sharing my experiences and recipes with you all. :)

• help me! i always say im gonna be raw!! then i mess up, and i say oh, ill go raw tomorrow this is a vicious cycle lol!! yikes.

• Brand new to Raw. I was a serious carnivore, and knew I had to do something for my weight. I recently took this class at my Church called Devoted Bodies. Awesome group book describing why certain foods are good and others are really bad. Anyway... my teacher coached me through a Raw diet Detox for 5 days. Wow! I never knew that I could actually go raw. That was 11 days ago, and I have not had any meat since. I have also had mostly raw foods. But I am a little confused as to what the difference in cooked vs. raw. I see some recopies on here for soups that look cooked, and then other posts about using a dehydrator. But is that not cooked food? Please explain the principle to me, or point me into the right direction. You All Inspire Me! Thank you.

• Hey everyone. I just joined this website about, well, two minutes ago. I decided to start going raw today actually. It was one of those fluke things. For the past week I've been trying low carb, and I was getting sort of sick of the same thing. I got pretty sick of meat. Even today I went and ate some chinese food, but it didn't have the same kind of appeal it used to have. I figured I would be fine if I never ate meat again, so I thought I would make a little life change and quit. Also, I kinda hate to cook, so I figured going raw would save me that trouble, right? Anyway, here I am and I just have a few questions. I know people often knock this kind of lifestyle because it means a loss of certain beneficial nutrients and vitamins, so how does a raw vegan go about fixing that? I picked up some multivitamins today, will that be enough? What do you folks do about protein? Calcium? Anyway, that's pretty much all I gotta say. I'm trying this out because I obviously want to get in shape, but also I generally like animals more than people and I feel sort of bad about eating meat whenever I think about how generally docile and gentle animals behave.

• Hi! I am new to the Raw Lifestyle and my family and I are transitioning right now. I plan to do raw for breakfast, lunch and snacks and have cooked dinners. The goal is to eat raw 75% of the time. Any recommendations on how to transition and dishes that kids enjoy. I have two 2 year olds, 2 three year olds, a 9 year old and 11 year old. We have been doing green smoothies and don't eat any beef or pork.

• ok, so i've tried going raw vegan before, but i get crazy cravings and end up eating a bit. usually it's cooked veggies, or something crunchy like chips. i want to lose like 20 pounds or so, be healthier, and clear up my skin, which is why i chose raw vegan. i'm already a vegetarian. anyways, how to i fight cravings? what are your tips for success? any other advice? thanks!

btw, i bought the 80 10 10 diet book and it finally came in the mail yesterday, so i've started reading bits of it.

also, did you lose weight when you went raw? how much/how fast?

• Hi everyone!!

Ok, so I am also wanting to start eating raw. Preferrably, I'd like to go 100% from day one. Right now I'm just starting to read on the raw food lifestyle. To get started it seems like there are some "must haves."

Blender

Food Processor

Dehydrator with temp control or doesn't exceed 110 degrees

Any other things you recommend to preparing before starting?

I haven't read all the information out there, but I am curious, do you feel any kind of discomfort when you start - similar to doing a cleanse. You know, the sleepy, headachey, etc etc? It's ok if that is apart of it. I'm vegan now so the adjustment won't be as drastic as it could be, biut I am imagining it still will be quite the transition.

^_^ thank you everyone for filling this site with soooooooo much info!! It is awesome!

And CONGRATS to all of you!! What an accomplishment!

• For those asking about how to control cravings, how to get enough minerals, vitamins, protein, etc, and how to jump into raw, I highly, HIGHLY suggest reading the book "Green For Life" by Victoria Boutenko. It's about $10 on Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Green-Life-Victoria-Boutenko/dp/0970481969/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268070187&sr=8-1 If you want to address any or all of those issues, make and drink at leats one fresh, raw, green smoothie each day! You will be AMAZED at how wonderful a difference it makes you feel in may ways, physically, emotionally, energetically, etc. If you read the book it explains the how's and why's extremely well and it's a veyr easy and quick read , also contains recipes. Green smoothies are blended smoothies of fresh, raw, (organic whenever possible for best nutrional value and no pesticides/herbicides) fruits with greens added. They look green usually, but will taste like the fruit, so sweet and delicious. You want to start with about 60% fruit and 40% greens origianlly and as you drink them for a bit, you will naturally start enjoying the taste of greens more and will want to add higher % of greens than the fruit. Greens (lettuces, chard, kale, celery, carrot tops, beet tops, fresh herbs, sprouts, spinach, parsley, dandelion greens, wild edible greens, etc) contain all kinds of minerals, vitamins, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and lots of protein. Eat a variety by changing the greens up every few days or everyday, however you like. One of my favorites is to put in a blender: pineapple, mango, a banana, and a cup or two of spinach,(all raw of course) then add a cup or two of water and a bit of ice to make it colder. You can add whatever fruits together and greens you want! *My hubby got of his highblood pressure medicine after only 3 weeks of drinking 2-3 cups of green smoothie each morning! (He is not vegetarian, nor raw.) Read the book, you'll be glad you did, then try it and I know you'll be happier for it! It also controls cravings, fills you up after drinking it, lifts your mood, clears your head/thinking, gives you energy, and makes you crave more fresh, wholesome foods when you are hungry. Seriously, makes a world of difference!! Good luck to you all! :)

• Hey everyone! So I just went out and bought a whole lot of veggies and fruits and spices. I'm quite excited to start this whole raw diet thing. One question: I'm surrounded by cooked and unnatural food almost 24/7, so does anyone have any tips on not giving into cravings? Does it get easier?

oh haha the poster above me posted a link about the cravings thing.. Thanks! xD

• Just picking up a few questions in recent posts from Runningtherace and Sarsenault and others

Raw food is food that has not been heated to such a high temperature that its enzymes are all killed off

You will find a lot of reference is to this in any raw food book you read or on raw food websites

Dehydration is a way of treating food that does not kill off all the enzymes as long as the temperature is kept low

There are a lot of books to choose from and the Green For Life One mentioned above is a good start

Last year when starting out on raw I read a lot of books and got myself quite confused as all the experts tend to have a different take on what is the optimum diet. In the end it comes down to what fits with your values and life style. I find simple is best for me and still regard myself as being in transition. I find I am learning what suits me all the time. This is a great website for recipes and advice.

I had to go raw as I have a weird form of arthritis which responds well to an alkaline diet full of enzymes. ( Meat, fish and cooked food generally tend to make the blood acidic rather than alkaline and of course as I said previously , cooking kills enzymes)

I did not buy a lot of equipment when I started and just used my old cheap blender to make smoothies both Green and all Fruit adding water or coconut water (not milk as not raw nor vegan)

I do now have a food processor as although it works much the same as a blender it is easier to make thicker smoothies as it is easy to take apart and scrape out so you do not lose so much of the food

i also have a dehydrator ( with temperature gauge to keep temperature low) which I used to make a lot of raw xmas food for my friends but I personally do not use it every day. I am experimenting making some fruit leathers to carry with me when travelling

I have not used my juicer for months as personally I like to retain the fibre in my fruit and veg.

In the main I just eat fruit and veg some nuts and seeds and lots of smoothies

Occasionally I buy raw biscuits from The Fresh Food Network ( I live in the UK) - these I could make in the dehydrator if I got my act together.

Initially I tried to go raw over night but I got a lot of headaches and felt awful so I then changed my diet one meal at a time , first changing my breakfasts then my lunches and for a long while I had one cooked vegan meal a day. I still do on occasion ( as I said I am still in transition and that is ok by me at the moment )

I still get cravings for other foods and I used to binge a little on chocolate . First I found raw chocolate was a good swap and now I hardly touch even that. I just transitioned myself slowly and did not beat myself up when I fell off the wagon so to speak. Occasionally I eat an egg or a bit of goat's cheese and I am working on this and in any event these tend to be my fall backs when I find myself in a restaurant with nothing else to eat on the menu. Having said that, I am now finding that if I phone ahead to a restaurant then they will make me wonderful salads and smoothies so that other diners are jealous.

i have to say that if I do eat cooked food then I seem to want more of it so I found that it was best for me to eat anything cooked in the evening so that I didn't eat cooked all day.

I find that if the craving for something cooked arises during the day I put it off by telling myself that I will have a cooked meal later and then often in the evening the desire has gone off. I am personally careful not to make myself feel deprived as I might then binge.

I am having myself tested regularly ... when I was on my old diet I was lacking in vitamin C and magnesium.. This has now been rectified.

I am a little low on Vitamin D at the moment but we have had very little sunshine here in the UK over the winter. I am taking a supplement but will start getting some sunshine as soon as possible - about 20 minutes a day is enough to bring up my Vitamin D levels .

The other vitamin to be tested for occasionally is vitamin B12 which can get low in some people after some years.

Good luck everyone on your raw food path .....

xx

• I am wondering about keeping balance in my diet and making sure I dont eat too much fat? Any advice how to keep balance and fat down would be wonderful!!

Tank you!

• hello everyone

how long would it take for me to make some kale chips in an oven? anyone have any good recipes? the ones in whole foods are so expensive but are so good!

• Hello from Berkeley, California, USA. It is so amazing to see so many people from around the world sharing your knowledge and experiences in the realm of raw. Thank you so much for providing this space for learning, and for all your wisdom! I am new to the community and have many questions.

Foremost on my mind at the moment is what does "cold pressed" really mean? I have a jar of raw organic coconut oil made by Artisana. The label says the oil has been "cold pressed," and that "absolutely no heat at all is applied in the making of this oil." How raw is this oil, really? Can I trust the label? Also, I have a bag of raw cacao powder made by Divine Organics. The label claims "Cacao powder is made by separating cacao butter from the bean by cold-pressing." Does anyone know if heat has likely been applied to the cacao at some point in the process prior to the "cold pressing?" What kind of benefits and drawbacks might I be experiencing by consuming these products?

Thank you again for your support! I can't wait to hear your feedback.

• Hi I'm completely new to this but I would like to try to go raw but have no clue where and how to start. Can you help me to start, please ... thank you

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Hey eurogirlsk, the best idea to start out is to start with fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and seaweeds.

There are many different styles of raw diets such as 80/10/10, low fat, high fat etc so it takes abit of playing abit to see what suits you. Theres a thread on here where people say what they have ate for the date that might help give you some idea what some are eating.

hope that helps abit.

http://www.amlaberry.co.uk

• Hi everyone, my name is Melanie and i've recently been extremely interested in the raw food diet. Right now i'm vegan but I would not consider myself healthy. I used to be a very picky eater, but when I became vegan I tried harder to force myself to eat healthier things like vegetables. Even though I eat vegetables, i'm never like "ooh I can't wait to have my salad."I've bought some raw recipe books and i'm saving up for a vitamix (which I should be able to get in 2-3 weeks). I love smoothies, but i'm kind of nervous about everything else. I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there that's picky like me that has successfully transitioned to the raw diet. Thanks =)

• Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum! My name is Aijaz and basically i'm here to learn about regimes of gaining weight. My age is 19 and i'm still 49 kgs. People say i'm very lean for my age and height. I tried basically all regimes which I find locally, spent a lotta cash on them, but still no change. I overheard about the raw food regimes, Searched on alexa and found this forum. Hope I get more and more knowledge about my regime over here..

Thanks! :)

• Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum! My name is Aijaz and basically i'm here to learn about regimes of gaining weight. My age is 19 and i'm still 49 kgs. People say i'm very lean for my age and height. I tried basically all regimes which I find locally, spent a lotta cash on them, but still no change. I overheard about the raw food regimes, Searched on alexa and found this forum. Hope I get more and more knowledge about my regime over here..

Thanks! :)

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

Hey aijazkhan81, as you likely already know if your looking to gain weight your going to need to take in an excess of calories.

Raw might not be an easy way to do that, not that im trying to put you off the idea. The most nutrient dense foods on raw are nuts and seeds which also have alot of fat. A calorie tracker such as fitday.com will help you see how much calories your getting.

http://www.amlaberry.co.uk

• Hey powerlifer,

Thanks for the reply firstly.. I am new to raw, I just wanna give a shot over it.. I'm in search of one specific person who is successfully gained weight on raw food. Once I find him/her out, i'll contact him or his website asking the regime he followed.. Are you interested in raw too if he is successful?

And I have no problem if I gain a little fat..

Please let me know your view.

Thanks. :)

• Hey everyone!

I found a proven and satisfactory regime to gain weight on raw food only. There's a guy named as storm, he's 51 years of age and has an extremely good looking body! I'm going to contact him soon, please help yourself in contacting him too. I'm sure his regime is gonna help us.

Just google gardendiet and the first link is his website.

Thanks

• Green smoothies fill me up for breakfast, and if you don't have a Vitamix, that's ok. Just get a decent $30-$40 blender and go very easy on it. Follow the manufacturer's instructions, don't add frozen fruit, only refrigerated and make sure there's a little liquid in the bottom to help all the solids blend. You need a blender to make things easier starting out, but you don't absolutely need a Vitamix. Usually in my green smoothies I put a banana or two, water/coconut water and greens... that's it and it's super delicious!. But there are tons of green smoothie recipes in books and all over the internet if you want to get fancier. Green smoothies really do help with cooked cravings. I also found that drinking lots of WATER helps with cravings. Drink 16-20 ounces when you get up in the morning, to start out with. Drink some at night before you go to bed. And try to drink 30 minutes before and after meals. Often being hungry and getting intense cravings is a cover up for your body needing hydration.

If you don't have a blender and get afford even a basic one, start your day out with fresh fruit. Eat a peach, some honeydew, some watermelon, a nectarine, pineapple, something "fresh" tasting and then fill up on bananas, then drink some water.

Only attempt recipes with less than 6 ingredients, for money, time, and ease. Good examples are zucchini pastas (a good spiralizer is 15-30$, I recommend the Saldacco) with a simple marinara sauce. Some tomatoes, herbs, and maybe some dates if you want to make it sweet, or garlic and lemon juice if you want it tangy. Simple and delicious, and you can eat as much as you want, until you are satisfied. Another easy thing is chia seeds. You can find them online for as cheap as $30/5 Ib.s (I don't know if that's organic). You just add water, banana slices, goji berries, whatever you want! It's healthy omega-3's that your brain needs, filling, easy, cheap, you can make it ahead of time.

If you don't feel you can do 100% raw, I sometimes have beans or lentils for dinner, with raw bell peppers and garlic in them. I find that they don't knock me as off track as pasta or other types of cooked vegan foods... hope that helps!

• I shall try that too.

Thank you :)

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

I don't think nuts/seeds are the most nutrient dense raw foods, esp. calorie for calorie comparison. I'd go with greens for that. I don't know if that was a typo, Powerlifer. ? Also, most nuts/seeds labeled as 'raw" really aren't, so to call them 'raw foods' is probably inaccurate, anyway.

• Hello,

I am going to be returning from Italy (studying abroad) in a few weeks and would like to start a raw diet. I am vegetarian, but I don't often eat dairy besides milk and yogurt, just because I like other foods better. By the way, is there a raw alternative to yogurt like made with almond milk or something? I know that yogurt is made from the breakdown of lactose which isn't going to be found in nut milk but there are other sugars and I know soy yogurt exists. Anyway, I am an avid athlete, I rock climb about every other day and the days I don't climb I do an hour or so of various cardio. I am a bit worried about calorie intake. Some days I may burn 800 or more calories. Is this easily supplemented? I could lose maybe 10 or so pounds, but significantly more than that would be a seriously unhealthy weight for me. And I love being active so I don't want to have to worry about not getting enough. I read a bit from Tim Van Orden's website, but he says he only eats about 2000 calories a day. I do not think that is enough for me, the last time I really focused on never missing exercise days and eating as healthy as possible I was eating at least 2500 and losing weight.

One other question I have is about nutrients. How can you know that you're getting the RDA of vitamins/minerals without examining the nutrition data for all your foods and making sure you eat a combination that gives you adequate vitamins and minerals? I don't like taking supplements besides maybe spirulina or something (for iodine, although I absolutely love seaweed and my family owns a bed and breakfast so we can order from a wholesaler) because I always forget too and I love eating so why would I miss out by swallowing a pill instead of eating?

One other question, is realistically how much does this sort of diet cost? I know produce is very cheap, but if I'm eating 10 bananas a day it's going to add up regardless of the price. Also, whenever I buy nuts they seem to be inordinately expensive even still in shells. I am going to be living in a house with a few of my friends (still in college), and my parents help me out but I don't like asking them for money if I don't absolutely need to. HOPEFULLY I can find a decent paying job this year, but I'm still only a junior so it's not like I'm going to be making a real salary.

Anyway, I just wanted to add something--if any of you like mushrooms (I love them), they are in fact INCREDIBLY easy to cultivate. You can buy spores for cheap on the internet, or find them on forums (many people will give them to you for free as they don't cost anything to make). These will last indefinitely, because when you grow them you just sacrifice one mushroom (which you can still eat after) and make a sporeprint which is used for the next round of fruiting. Mushrooms like being left alone, and if you spend a little bit you can make them basically automatically from start to finish. The yield is really only dependent on how much space you have. Seems like something a raw foodie would benefit from.