Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

worms - the final straw!

Been raw for the last two weeks. Have not been feeling very well: first week diarrhoea, upset stomach, feeling moody and angry, exhausted, big zit. I know – all the symptoms of detox. But now week 2 is no better: still angry, exhausted, and now have discovered have got worms. All the rest I can deal with but this is jusst too much. What I’m thinking: is this raw food responsible for these worms. they could have come from any of the food I’ve eaten. Anything could have been carrying the eggs. I wash all my salad in cold water but what about those dates. Who knows who has been handling them? Am worried about the sanitary side of raw food.Any advice really appreciated. thanks Maria

Comments

• most everyone has worms so I wouldn’t be too concerned. perhaps you are on the last legs of a natural detox from the raw foods themselves? did you ever eat pork or certain fish? they are definitely filled with worms, could have been from days long gone past that are just now working their way out.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Do you have pets? What kind of worms do you have? I don’t know offhand of any human-loving parasitic worms from inside fruits and vegetables, just what could be left by pickers who are ill and not clean.

Yes, always wash your food.

• yeah, meat is not safer than raw food. who knows who could have been handling anything, right? i mean, do you wear rubber gloves whenever you leave the house? i hope not.

i understand being freaked out though. and sure, it’s possible you got the worms from raw food. but what, you’re never going to eat salad again now? trust me, you’re safer eating all raw than never raw.

being raw does not automatically mean being healthy. you need to be eating greens frequently, and eating enough calories. go ahead and eat nuts and bananas (unless you have an allergy.)

i would definitely either do a parasite cleanse or go to the doctor and get help from them. although i should say, after i got pinworms (long before i was raw) i went to the doctor, and shortly after i took the stuff, i started getting SEVERE stomach cramps that hung around for months, and the doctors couldn’t figure them out.

i haven’t had these kinds of problems since going raw, however. i’m not giving medical advice, just sharing my personal experience.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I have recently started thinking about how sanitary and unsanitary raw food is. I’m not sure how sanitary restaurant kitchens need to be kept… but, I’d wonder that if we all ate this way and I was at a raw restaurant.

Sorry to hear about the worms…

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

i wont alarm you guys with all the crap i learned at the food managers class i had to take for my licence to make raw foods out of a commercial kitchen, but what i will say is that if you wash everything you eat in warm soapy water( and peel nonorganic fruits) with hands that have been washed for 30 seconds or more in warm soapy water( consentrate on the fingernails)you will be head and shoulders above most legal eating establishments…...

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Maria10_15 When mosquitos bite dogs & cats, eggs are implanted and worms are hatched in the animal. When walking barefoot, worms on the ground can burrow into the soles of your feet. I have often wondered if mosquitos can be the sorce of worms in people as well as AIDS. They do pass along malaria. Something else to think about besides the raw food we eat.

I make a strong vinegar solution and soak my pre-washed fruits & Veges for at least an hour, more if I can spare the time. Hope you are feeling better soon and without those little creepy crawlers.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Go for a series of colonics! I was so hesitant at first, but when you eat raw, you don’t have to go for a long time. I did 6, as recommended in David Wolf’s book. It is recommended you do this seasonally.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

I want to reply to waterbaby’s comment about the transmission of AIDS by mosquitos. It was confirmed a couple of decades ago that AIDS cannot be transferred in this fashion. The virus simply can’t survive under those conditions. I only chose to address this because there is enough fear and ignorance of this disease and I’d hate to see a resurgance!

• Hear-hear, Kevin.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Thanks Kevin7197 & Zooey Glass, certainly didn’t mean to open another can of worms… Sorry about the pun…LOL But am glad to know that AIDS can not be transmitted by mosquitos… My head must have been under a rock before… Again thanks!!! I also should have said “fleas” bite the animals and worms are hatched…

• Hi Maria,

Not sure if you are spiritual or not but I would Google & read the Gospel of Peace (it is related). Not sure what kind of worms you have but perhaps your body is so upset right now because it is expelling the worms you’ve had all along and who were content eating the remnants of your old diet left in your colon. Perhaps now the change to a raw food diet is removing their primary food source and causing the worms to create upheaval to your system. That would be my first guess at what is going on since a lot of people have worms and don’t even know it. If you Google parasites, you will see monstrous things people had inside them for years and they had no idea!!!

Also, the only fruit I know of that is probably contaminated with parasites are figs. I stay away from those myself ever since I seen a video on the fig trees. I posted the videos on this forum a while back called “Queen of the Trees”.

I hope you can endure the raw food while you get rid of them. After all, I believe most parasites will feed off of the cooked dead food than the raw.

• If you have a parasite such as worms (I’m assuming you are seeing them in your stool) go see a doctor. Conventional wisdom tells us that ANY food (meat or raw) could have potentially carried them.

• Not sure what type of parasites you have. You really should get it checked out though. I don’t know what your diet was like before, but let me tell you about my best friend who I introduced to raw foods. Her diet was terrible, fast food and junk. I started her out with really easy foods like creamy tomato soup with some organic no salt tortilla chips, smoothies etc. She loved it all and ate it up, she’s type 1 diabetic…(I always get them confused, she’s the one that was born that way not get it later in life). Suddenly about a two weeks latter she started getting really sick like you did. Serous detox going on for sure then suddenly she came back from the doctor complaining about parasites causing her problems. Unfortunately she went off the raw food never really getting rid of the parasites or the sticking with eating better. She’s back to being tired all the time, not feeling good mostly and gaining weight again. And she still has her little friends who are happy and smiling that she’s eating fatty SAD foods again.

We all have parasites in our bodies, specifically from eating a SAD diet. Meat and fish are one of hte number one contribitors to this problem. When you eat raw foods we digest it so fast that the little critters don’t get to eat as much, because SAD food sticks to us like glue and forms hard bodies in our colons that they can feed and feed and feed on. When you deny them their food source suddenly they start really showing them selves. And trust me they are good at hiding in our bodies unseen when they are happy.

I had the same problem with the little devils and started taking some parasite cleansers like black walnut, pumpkin seeds etc. You need to do a serious cleanse and colonics cleanse as well.

Don’t give up!!!

• Thanks everyone for the encouragement. the last couple of weeks have been hard but have managed to stick with it (apart from pinching a few of my kids chips). Still not feeling well, still have diarrhoea and sorry to say my little visitors are still with me. Is this tooo much information?

Mandelicious, sorry to hear about your experience with stomach cramps but tempted now to go and get an over the counter tabs to sort the whole thing out as I don’t know how many more pumpkin seeds I can eat. Alix1962, yes it does worry me when I think about the people picking my food. what if they haven’t washed their hands? At least when you cook food you’d kill all potential parasites. I suppose our ancestors would have picked their own food and wouldn’t have had this worry. Omshanti, am totally scruplous about hand washing and washing my food. But what the people who pick our food? When have they washed their hands. Bellasera, thanks for the words of encouragement. Sounds like SAD food is almost like a plaque on our colon in the same way plaque on our teeth is a host to lots of little bugs. Sorry am starting to sound really paranoid now but have been feeling so ill the last few weeks it’s hard to think it’s just detoxing. Don’t want to get hung up on this germs/handwashing thing and then develop ocd.

Anyway will keep going and hope for the best. Thanks again everyone.

• maria10_15 and everyone reading this please invest in 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide to wash your veggies and clean your cutting boards. This should be a staple in your freezer right next to the ice cream maker :) This stuff goes along way as you are to dilute it in clean water.

Peace and Blessings.

I agree with the peroxide suggestion. Been using it for years and can’t imagine my kitchen without it! Please be sure to read the cautions for handling!

• Hi Dr oz has taked about worms on Oprah. If you have them there’s a chance everyone has them in your household. Not sure how they are trasmited from person to person but he said to put a piece of tape on your kids anus at night before they go to bed and check it in the morning. If they have it. maybe it didn’t even start with you.

• Dear god, I accidentally clicked on the ‘gardening’ topic above this one and stared in horror as I read about a woman who keeps her worms in a barrel.

Moving on… how the hell do you know if you have worms? I read that once you do the master cleanse there’s a period when—because you haven’t eaten—nothing is coming out… and then, like a horror movie, after a few days stuff starts coming out. Even though you haven’t been eating. And that stuff, is often worms. Aren’t there tablets you can ingest?

This may sound redundant, but I don’t want worms.

There are a number of websites that discuss herbal elimination programs however I’m not well enough educated in how these programs fit into the raw lifestyle. These programs generally involve the ingestion of walnut hull extract, oregano extract, garlic, just to name a few. I did discover that pumpkin seeds in the diet helps to eliminate worms. These seeds also offer other benefits for men in particular.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Jubb’s Lifefood Recipe Book has a 100 day parasite flush:

1oz green black walnut 1oz wormwood 1oz clove 0.5oz male fern.

Grind all herbs into a powder and take 1 level teaspoon of the mixture twice a day. Don’t just swallow it either, chew with saliva so They also recommend that you do a gallblader/liver flush first. Store the mixture in a fridge or cool dark place. The recipe is highly effective when used for 100 days because it completes the egg laying cycle of all parasites.

ardesmond2, how much do you dilute the peroxide for cleaning?

The standard dilution ratio is 2 oz peroxide to 22 oz water to achieve a standard 3.5% dilution.