I'm Making Kim Chi!!

I was just wondering if anybody had made Kim Chi before? I didn’t use salt, so I’m wondering how long I should let it ferment? Also, should it be in a dark area?

Comments

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Well I can tell ya I’ve never heard of anyone doing it before and NOT using salt. I was under the impression that salt was a big part of the process ??? Where did you get your recipe from?

The recipes I’ve seen say to ferment it for a few days to a week or so. But like I said, I don’t know about the no salt deal. Good luck!

• i am not sure how long it will take since I always use salt…first off it helps to preserve the caggabe and secondly it reacts with the pectin keeping everything crunchy and bringing out the lactic acid natural to the cabbage, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work without the salt. The batch probably won’t be as firm.

It can be in a dark area though it isn’t necessary. I usually leave my jar on top of the fridge or next to our dehydrator (the warmth speeds the process up a bit) So location is your choice, it will take a bit longer to ferment in cooler areas. Best of luck! let me know how it turns out!

• I think you need the salt. Not for the nutritional benefits but because it controls the bacterial growth in the ferment. You wouldn’t want it to ferment to fast before you get a chance for the flavor and cultures to truely develop.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I have such wonderful childhood memories of a good friend’s mother filling the house with kim chi jars. Your post is inspiring me to try my own. Looking around, the one kim chi recipe here on Gone Raw (http://goneraw.com/recipes/3018-Kim-Chi) calls for salt. I haven’t made the recipe yet, but salt looks integral. Do let us know how yours turns out!

• I’m keeping my fingers crossed! The Co-op I shop at sells a really good kim chi that is salt free, but they charge $13 for a 16 oz container! So, needless to say, I’m attempting to do on my own!!! I will for sure let you know how it turns out!

• http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1985-0… There you go. Check that out it may give you some insight into salt free fermenting.

• Wow, thanks Chris! I definitely did not do mine exactly this way, but it’s close. I’m almost confident it will be fine… :)