Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Coconut Milk for Kittens

A Siamese cat breeder is driving me out a10-weekold kitten that I’ll have in a few hours. I am curious to see if she’ll drink my raw coconut milk (recipe posted on my profile). Is there a reason for me not to do this or does it sound like a cool experiment? Let me know what you think!

Comments

• i would definitely do more research before you do this. cats are carnivorous creatures 9more so even than dogs.) feeding her coconut milk once probably won’t hurt her, but if you plan to make it a staple, i would look into it further. and mostly, i would not recommend it.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I second what mandelicious said. Cats won’t even scavange for food like dogs will and in their natural diet the only veggies they would really eat would be whatever their prey had predigested. I doupt it would harm the kitten but I don’t know if they’d have the ability to digest it properly. Kittens are able to digest regular milk up to a certain age, and then they loose that ability. That’s why it’s said to not give adult cats milk.

Read a book called “The BARF Diet” by Ian Billinghurst. I probably spelled the name wrong but you can look up the title.

Siamese are such beautiful cats, and I love their eyes. Have you though of a name yet?

• My 2 adult cats go nuts over coconut milk…they love it. I’ve only given it to them on rare occasions and they’ve only had the unsweetened canned kind. I think it’s ok to give as an occasional treat but certainly not as substitute for mothers milk for a kitten. It might not be nutritionally optimal as a kitten’s main food.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I wouldn’t do it. Cats aren’t vegetarians. I don’t even feed our wild cats cow milk! Do a search on the Internet and you will find several recipes for kitten milk replacement.

• I actually wasn’t thinking of giving it to her as a main food, just as a little treat.

rawchocohlic – I am getting a blue-point apple-head siamese kitten. I think I am going to name her Blue Girl! :)

My dead cat used to get a little interested whenever we would bring an opened young coconut to his attention or even some coconut cream I made. Weird, huh?!

• i think as a little treat it should be fine. but don’t take my word for it, i’d check with someone who knows more about animal nutrition.

Yeah, try maybe emailing someone who’s really studied the BARF diet and knows a lot about feline nutrition. I’m used to giving all sorts of raw-food scraps to my dogs, but cats are different. Also, if you are going to start Blue Girl on a BARF diet, or even partly raw, you’d probably want to do that earlier rather than later. My cats won’t eat anything but catfood now because they’re stuck in their old ways. Try this link for more info/resources: http://www.barfworld.com/

I once adopted a cat that was part Burmese. Learn from my mistake and hide your curtains for the next 6 months! Also, take lots of pictures.

• What’s this thing about a Burmese mistake?? And btw, what’s the BARF diet? A raw diet, or a cooked diet? I will takeyour advice, thanks!

BARF stands for ‘Bones and Raw Food’. Follow the link I posted above for more info. It’s basically the raw food diet but for dogs and cats and the book goes into detail about what percentage of meat and veggies they need. Cats need more meat because they’re not scavengers like dogs are. As for the Burmese thing, they’re closely related to Siamese and my cat pretty much destroyed every curtain he could by climbing when he was a kitten.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

My cats are scavengers! They kill birds and mice and keep the snakes out of the yard. We have ferel cats around our place and two pets.

• My cat used to be like yours 123!! Blue Girl has arrived! I will post a picture of her when I get my camera (I know it’s taking a while) She is so cute! Thanks for the info, I will check out the website!

• I’ve heard and read that you’re not even supposed to give your cat traditional milk. I am a serious cat-lover, so I agree with the others about doing some sound research.

And speaking from experience—even if you’re cat likes something, likes it a LOT, it doesn’t mean it’s good for him. Take crack cocaine for instance.

• my mother has worked w/animals for over 30 years .I have seen and know many things,my advice def. Please.please research this before you give this to a tiny creature. I have also heard NOT TO GIVE ANIMALS/CATS TROPICAL FRUITS-TOXIC.let us know what you find out.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Something to think about… What does a cat in the wild consume (which is what has kept cats alive since their inception)? Do they drink another specie

• i have to add that the beautiful kitten i live with is fed raw coconut water as a treat, and she luuuuuurves it…also some juice pulp mixed with her food.

she is very healthy and happy