Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Easter Hell

Ok, so how many of us just hate Easter (or any family holiday for that matter). There’s nowhere to go that’s open and its 20 so walking around pointlessly is out and the turkey STINKS. I can’t stand the smell of meat and its everywhere… I’m going to end up compulsively washing the clothes I wore today and anything in my closet that remotely smells of meat is going to the drycleaners. To add to that my mom made a healthy cake that Im supposed to enjoy because it has no oil aka less calories no oil means loads of egg and milk. So… if anyone else has some ‘I hate family dinners’ rants to share, spill. And if ANYONE knows how to get rid of the rotting smell I associate with meat… please share.

Comments

• What the heck is this supposed to be about?

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Nicci, you must bring your own food. Do not expect family to suddenly become raw food chefs and create food for you. Also it could be worse—you could be the one preparing the meat! That would be me, the raw foodist. Have a sense of humour, bring a big salad and a raw dessert next time. Don’t even tell them it’s raw. When you get to me my age you finally realize you don’t have to get sucked into the family mess anymore. You can be an observer without getting sucked into the drama.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Nicci – I feel ya. I avoid family events like the plague too. I am not religious so Easter isn’t my thing either. It is hard to be around all the meat and stuff but I avoid family events mostly because my family is sort of nosy and they think the way I live is odd compared to them so there is alot of tension and the events are not enjoyable. Well at least, I am grateful now that I am many states away from my family so I have an excuse not to go to family events any more. :)

• Wow…I have to say frankly that you are overreacting. I think that this view and no offense, but your’s too JoyceH are a little bit sad. First off, I would not not go somewhere because they served

• I just had an Easter meal with some friends who don’t know I’m trying to be raw. I made the Thai Slaw recipe from this site and brought it to the dinner. Everyone loved it. I’m not 100% yet and did end up eating a little more cooked food than I normally would at home and ended up with stomach cramps afterwards. There were plenty of very simply prepared whole food cooked vegetarian dishes to choose from and some lamb which I did not even want to look at as I have never been a red meat eater except when it was forced on me as a child. I made the best of the event and enjoyed myself. I am transitioning slowly as I know that is the only way I can accomplish getting to 100%.

• Living in the house makes it impossible to leave, if it were a family dinner I wouldn’t go- I prefer family bonding with everyone separate and with a short time slot. My parents adapted slowly to me going pesco-vegetarian, but they still like to joke about meats and put it under my face saying ooh dont you want some. Taking the heart out especially is not ok. Joking with me about something that I really find offensive and unappetizing is NOT ok with me. It may be in good nature, but me leaving should give them the idea that its not funny to me.

I still can’t give up fish fully because they get offended every time I try to say I want to not eat it and will mix the vegetables with the fish so I eat it all or nothing. When they aren’t around I manage to eat an 80% raw vegan diet- with them… neither can apply very well. Usually I stay out until somewhere between 7:00 and 8:00 pm to avoid these situations. My work schedule also helps to keep me at home for max of 4 meals a week, 2 of which I can usually schedule over or make salad ahead of time. Holidays for me are hell because I don’t have the school library, the gym, or most of my friend’s apartments to hang out at.

I may have been a little too agitated this morning, but there was a dead raw turkey lying next to my blender, then once it started to be cooked everything smelled of it- slowly cooked meals are better at filling a house than baking and only trumped by frying onions… Independent and environmentally minded people really shouldn’t live at home any longer than necessary.

• I don’t like, nor do I celebrate any holidays, but the unhealthy food is only a minor bit of my anti celebratory heart. My boyfriend and I have so much love between the both of us and for life that we don’t need holidays for an excuse to be happy!!

I also wouldn’t condemn anybody who does celebrate. It’s part of what they believe in, just as raw is what most of us believe in. So, when we do get drug to a function we surely don’t flip about the food or our families being disgusting by eating the rotting flesh. We just bring our own raw dishes and enjoy friendly (well, sometimes controversial) conversation.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Nicci – I know what you mean! I hate being around cooked food – especially meat, as I love animals so much. Although I’d like to be more accepting, it’s not easy to be around cooked food all day every day. Yikes! Maybe you can leave the house on days that it really smells? It’s a very difficult situation, and best of luck to you!

• Boutenko talks about this….why not focus on the things to be thankful for? For example, the meaning of the holiday, the opportunity to be together, to be healthy, etc. It isn’t just about the food

• Here’s how I handle it. I moved away from my family, far enough so that I could do my own thing. On holidays, I stay home and make vegan (cooked) food because I can get my husband and daughter to eat it. We focus on Jesus, the reason for Easter, and not the food issue. I get vegan candy for my daughter. After they try it, they like it. If my family wants to come on holidays, they are welcome.Otherwise, they visit or I visit on non-holidays. My holidays are personal to me and I celebrate them in my own way. If I have to travel, I pack a cooler and take food with me. That’s it. Don’t stress.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

When I first started eating vegan, I would dread family gatherings. This situation just wasn’t tenable for me – my family is just too important in my life. NOw, we often invite our family over for holidays (especially Christmas). I’ll make a bunch of vegan and raw foods and offer to let them bring anything else they’d like to eat. Someone inevitably brings meat and this is the only time meat is in my house, but I still feel positive that I am able to make an abundance of healthy, delicious food to eat and share.

• JoyceH, sorry I wasn’t trying to be rude or anything. The thing is, and it seems like you are NOT one of these people, but they exist, there are so many hateful vegans it can get a bit overwhelming. People get wrapped up in so much dogma that they forget about family. Ok, I understand there are families out there that make jokes or even undermine you, but there are many who do not. Most people are simply ignorant, not of their own fault but remember most ofus were raised to believe this is the way to eat. I just get very touchy when people talk about leaving families and doing other things because I am so close with mine and I know that even though all of my extended family eats fairly unhealthily, I still love them and I am not going to let their chosen foods stop me from enjoying their company! I just think there is already enough hate and disgruntled people in the world and I think we would all benefit from spending more time with family and friends.

I understand some of you don’t celebrate holidays, that’s your choice, but still it doesn’t have to be celebrating a holiday to spend a day with family. Forget that it’s Easter and call it family day. I am not Christian so I don’t celebrate easter but when I go to my family’s house they have their Easter decorations and they always pray over the food. At first this stuff bothered me and I felt disrepected. Then I realized that it wasn’t that at all, I was being childish. These things are simply the things that give them comfort, just as my own religion and raw foods give me comfort. There is nothing wrong with celebrating diversity, and in fact it is a lack of celebrating the latter that we have so much violence in this world. So regardless of whether or not you celebrate Easter or not, I wish you all a very happy day full of love and goodness!

p.s. Kandace- I really like what you said, it is well written and empowering.

• p.s. JoyceH I wasn’t referring to YOU as