Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What the heck do I do with my potatoes?

So, my boyfriend picked up some groceries from the store tonight—he always does an awesome job picking out the best produce! However, tonight he decided to grab not one but two bags of fingerling potatoes, lol…I laugh because neither one of us know how to use them in a recipe! I was thinking of slicing them the best I can and dehydrating them for chips. I’m not too sure what else to do. Any suggestions or tips, please toss them my way!! I personally don’t like potatoes, but I’m willing to make them tasty for him!!

Comments

• I can’t wait to hear if anyone has any idea’s on how to make something raw out of these. I just love them in the store, every time I pass them I think…ok maybe just a little dish of these tasty treats pan fried with some olive oil and salt and pepper. Uggggggggggg..then I smack my hand try not to think of them. But they are so tasty and yummy looking.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I thought you couldn’t eat potatoes raw because they are toxic. Despite that though, I have seen a number of recipes for raw potato chips. In fact, I think queenfluff posted one on here a while back.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I make sea salt and vinegar potatoe chips raw. You can use whatever sort of potatoe you want.

The recipe is from Alissa Cohen’s Living on Live food book:

Basically just slice the potatoes thin enough like potatoe chips (I use my spiralizer on the wide blade and works great). Peel first obviously

Marinate the chips in apple cidar vinegar for 15 minutes.

Put on dehydrator sheets and salt.

Dehydrate until as cripsy as you like (will probably take about 4 hours until you need to flip and remove them from the sheets). Makes your house smell like an English pub. (I spray mine with some olive too so they get a bit “greasey”. :)

• spiritedmama, here’s what I found when searching about potatoes. I seems as if they’re toxic when they’re green…

http://www.blurtit.com/q587628.html

• Okay, so we decided to chop them pretty thin with a “wavy” knife. Since we don’t have much vinegar in the house we squeezed a few lemons and limes to cover the potatoes and we topped with a few herbs. (dill, basil, parsly, chives, white pepper, ect…) We’re going to let the flavors seep in and add some evoo in the moring right before we dehydrate. Thanks for the tips!!!

• good info from that site, chakra. PS- be careful about how long you leave them out before dehydrating. Maybe the vinegar will keep it from doing this, but the last time I “marinated” some potatoes they looked fine when I cut them, but then they turned grey after a few hours marinating in some olive oil and salt. This was back when I was cooking but even after I had them in the over forever they never got crispy and stayed soggy and grey. they could’ve just been bad potatoes, but I’ll never marinate potatoes again. Let us know how it goes though b/c I have a potato at home know that I’ve been wondering what to do with.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

don’t eat potatoes raw, but sweet potatoes are ok.

• You can make chips, they are NOT toxic. Best to massage them first with a little olive oil, then soak them in lemon juice and water for a couple of hours. Then massage again and dehydrate with a spritz of oil.

• Well, I made them into chips! My boyfriend LOVES them! He describes the flavor as something comparable to Dill Pickle Chips. He wants me to make more…So maybe we’ll take pictures of the next batch and post them as a recipe. :) Thanks for all the wonderful tips!

• Raw potatoe are definatly not toxic. Many people drink potato juice and it is very healthy for you. The main thing is starch but that can be soaked or rinsed out.

Would love to see recipe and pic of chips Chakra essence.

Yes, definately post your recipe for the chips. I love the salt and vinegar ones but I would like to try different marinates!

• Parsnips make wonderful chips also. Kind of like a white carrot. They dehydrate wonderfully and end up very crunchy!

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Hmmm! I’ve never thought of marinating potatoes for 15 minutes! Does that take out the starch? I can use lemons or apple cider vinegar? I’ve tried to make raw potato chips in the past but i always coated them in lemon and while they came out crispy, I didn’t like the flavor. I’ve been looking for something to take out the starch forever! This might be it!

another idea i just got is once you have finished soaking the potato chips in the acid, to soak them in water to take out the flavor of the acid. i think they would be finished when you taste on and it has no flavor and there is no hint of starch or acid left in the potato- then it’ll be ready to dehydrate, i think.

Oh, potatoes are healthy for you, i think! Vegetables are healthy in general. I also think wheat and nuts and seeds are healthy for you as long as they are raw and organic. Of course, if you have a certain disease, eliminating some stressors for a while until you can handle them again is always wise, i think.

I made organic dehydrated potato chips and conventional raw chips and the organic potatoes always came out looking as pretty as lays potato chips- like they were fried and light and crispy- while the conventional looked a little faded. That alerted me to the big difference in quality between conventional and organic, i think.

yuna -

I just bought the book “How we all went Raw” by Top Raw Men. They have a chip recipe in there too. Before they do the marinating part they actually soak there chip pieces for 2 to 3 hours in water and drain off the soak water and rinse the pieces at the end of the soak time. They say this apparently removes the starch. I haven’t tried it before but it is definatley a new piece of information that I will try next time I make chips!

• why not make the potato chip recipe that was recently posted on her, it looks amazing!!

wow queenfluff, salt and vinegar chips sound delicous! I’ll make some!

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

Thank you, queen fluff. I’ll try that too! :)