Sweeten with...YACON?!

RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

What the heck is yacon? Has anyone sweetened a recipe with it (and only it…no agave now, people!). I am exploring alternative sweeteners through fruits/veggies, which I feel is a lot healthier than stevia and agave. Any yacon tips?

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey Rawsiki, I’ve tried yacon syrup and yacon slices. The yacon syrup tasted fruity to me, which didn’t work with everything and didn’t seem as sweet as stevia or agave so I needed to use more, which was a bummer because it was the most expensive of the three. It was really good drizzled on almond butter, though, like peanut butter and grape jelly. I couldn’t eat the yacon slices straight – too chewy and odd tasting to me, not exactly a treat for me, but I sometimes chopped it up and added it to my treats. I did discover an unfortunate side effect – GAS!! Big time, which I didn’t connect with the yacon until I found an article about it online. Oh, and it’s a tuber and it has lots of health benefits, but because of the cost and the gas I gave it up!

• RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

yikes! Well, I am still going to check it out for myself, who knows? I may end up loving it!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

It tastes like maple syrup to me. I also like to soak dates in water and use the soaking water as a sweetener, you can also do this with raisins, goji berries, and other fruits…amazing how sweet date soaking water is! Or make date paste (soak dates for a few hours then blend them up in the food processor with a bit of the date’s soaking water) and use that for a sweetener. You could always add a lot of the soak water to make a thin, watery sweetener instead of one as thick as creamy butter.