Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Athletes?

lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Since re-dedicating myself to as close to 100% as i can, i’ve noticed a return to fabulous running and phenominal recovery. I’ve managed 1 marathon raw and i follow runningraw youtube segments.I thought i’d start a discussion of athletic raw tricks of the trade. I don’t just run. I spin, teach Pilates a few times/week and take a 90 min. hot yoga weekly in addition to running about 25 miles/week. The difference running cooked vs. raw is remarkable. I’m wondering if other have experience similar painless clarity and joy in their sport.

Comments

• Please believe it izhpt I have never recovered from workouts so easily while being raw. I cold turkey from vegan to 100% raw on Thanksgiving of 07. I gave myself 2 months off to let my body do it’s own thing detox etc. Started back strong with calisthenitcs and a gym workout and I haven’t been sore yet. Me and buddy of mines went running and he literally had to stop trying to keep up.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

That’s awesome! I just finally made a decision yesterday that I AM GOING TO GET ACTIVE! Then I forgot and haven’t done anything about it today – Aaaaaaargh! Thanks for reminding me. :)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Great! So you’re doing the ING? I thought i’d never do another marathon as it was for a very special person who passed from leukemia just 6 days after he was diagnosed. My emotions, strength and motivation were so high. I stayed raw and finished my first ever marathon in just over 4 hours. I thought I’d never have that kind of push again, but I’m feeling the desire for another—not to beat my time, but to run raw! Maybe just a half?

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

Please try to motivate me! I ran two marathons pre raw and have been struggling with my running since going about 90 percent raw and giving up caffiene/dairy for good. Any motivation would help.. part of it is the weather though.. in Upstate NY we haven’t got above 30 degrees for months..

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

ING? Anyway, after I posted yesterday I immediately went for a 45-minute brisk walk. I was really in tune with my body, and even though I haven’t been exercising for the last couple of months and not a lot before that, I felt great. I can always tell, when I start a new exercise plan, where my body is weak. Yesterday, I didn’t have all the problems I used to have, and when I had any little pain/discomfort, I saw in my mind what my body was asking for to fix it (greens for the one in my calf, stretching for my hip, etc.)! It was amazing, and I am hooked!

• Hey everyone! I am a raw marathoner now too. My first marathon I ran two years ago and I was SAD. I decided this November to become vegan and I began training for my second marathon in December. Then a friend of mine told me about raw food and I’ve been doing that since February. I cannot even believe how amazing it is being a raw athelete!! My energy levels have sky rocketed, I don’t get sore after a run, and the next day I feel better than ever. My marathon is this Saturday in Washington D.C. I am super excited! Kminty3: Want some motivation?? I live in Montana and this whole season I was training it was 20 degrees or colder, snowing, icey, and winds up to 40 mph!! After running in those condiditions I feel like I can do anything. And you can too.. you just gotta get out there. That’s the hardest part.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Allison—good luck!!!! good raw tricks—dates for quick energy at that miserable 16-18 mile mark and have your support person get you some coconut water around then as well. It’s the most purely isotonic beverage there is. Then while everyone else is choking up the last hill, you just go on!

• Ok – I am the novice of the group. I am starting very slowly since I am coming from 206lbs. Now down to 190 lbs since I started eating raw and running. I did my first 5K on St. Patties day and now I am training for a 10 K.

I have to say the hardest part for me is getting started, but once out the door – my legs will not let me stop.

I had an interesting discovery: today was a stressful day – on a day like that I would have had no problem loading on the carbs. But the first thought I had was – I have to have a green smoothie (and I know it was emotional because I was loading every green veggie, and fruits I could find – juicer first and the blender: broc, spinach, romaine, 1 orange, grapes, 1 apple, 1 banana and flax)) then I took my 5 yr old and went for a run. I do believe there’s-a-change going on !!!! :)

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Yay! You all are totally inspiring me. I’ve always hated exercise. In the past I would guilt myself and call myself lazy, but I’m learning how to be nicer to myself so now I just look for motivation and try not to call myself names. Like going to Mexico in May… and wearing a swim suit, yikes! ;o) I’ve been going to the gym for a couple months now and I’m really starting to feel so much better physically. I haven’t lost much weight yet (just a couple pounds, actually) but I can see differences in my body, and my jeans are fitting better, so I must be toning up. I’ve always wanted to run, but for some reason it scares me to try. Like I’m gonna fall down in the road gasping and cramping, haha… for now I’m sticking with 15-20 minutes on the stair machine or stationary bike, followed by half an hour of weight training on the machines at the gym, 3 or 4 times a week.

And yeah… I have definitely noticed the difference between raw and non-raw workout days!

Thanks for all the inspiration, guys! :o)

• EnjoyRaw CONGRATS on the weight loss and the new exercise energy!

Jenergy—not everyone is meant to run. Really. Different body types, etc… just do what you enjoy.

As for me. Have been an athlete for years (10 marathons and 2 iron distance tris), am not fully raw but have been moving in that direction. One of the things that seems to hold me back is my training—since I find it quite difficult to take in enough raw calories to fuel a 20 mile run!!! (while also keeping my tummy happy and not having to stop at every porta-potty from here to timbuktu!)

Since incorporating more raw, I find myself feeling much more fuzzed out and woozy feeling during workouts. Just not enough energy. I think I still need to get my balance right.

• jenergy – If I can run, anybody and they mama can run. When I started I ran 15 seconds and walked 5 minutes and SLOWLY worked my way up now to 3.5 miles (yeah me!) and that’s at 190.8 lbs. I am overcoming the fear of running outside (I keep thinking people are saying – who is that fat#@$ jiggling down the street) But it has not been like that – my hubby and kids and a girlfriend in the ATL are my biggest supporters when it comes to running.

Someone mentioned on a different thread that Bee pollen is a good thing to have for endurance/recovery – as I increase my distance I am storing that info in the back of my mind.

Side NOTE: I’ve noticed that since being RAW - I don’t have a “scheduled” time to eat, I kinda graze throughout the day.

More Later, more often

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Trawthlete, sounds like you need sodium. I only remember this from marathon training days. After 16 miles, I’d get loooopy! It would last forever into the evening. I’d feed myself—no change. More water—no change. There are many great foods that won’t send you to the portajohn. Actually, Once the cooked food stops going in, the digestive problems should cease. It may be the combinations that are affecting you. Before the long run, you could make a raw oatmeal. I just have fruit. After you need some serious fuel—try many bananas w/ raw nut butter to aid recovery. More importantly, try celery for the sodium, sea salt your oats or your pre-training meal. Maybe switch to coconut water since it has sodium—too much regular water can dilute your body’s sodium and can be quite dangerous—hyperydrosis—as I’m sure you know. I’m not an expert at all, but i am a physical therapist and knowing your body’s signals and what to do for them is important. Cramps=water, low energy=dates or quick carbs, seeing purple people on magic carpets=salt!

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

Has anyone read the Dr. Doug Graham book “Nutrition and Physical Performance”? It gives suggestions for making your own sports drinks for endurance activity as well as the best way to fuel yourself. I found it to be really interesting and I am giving it a try, and lots of green smoothies as well.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Can you give me advice on running marathons? I started running around October of last year and am now up to 5 miles of constant running. I notice that occasionlly after I finish the run my left hip and my right knee start to really ache. Maybe I need better shoes.

The thing is, I want to run harder, longer, faster. I love running; feel like I found a niche in a way and I want to keep expanding on my progress. I would love to do marathons. Any advice for a newbie? I’ve been 100% RAW since December.

EnjoyRaw, that is really cool. I admire your determination! I’m not sure what the fear is all about… probably like you said, I don’t want anyone to SEE me running. Self conscious silliness. It was hard for me to go to the gym at first, too, because of the whole mixed-gender thing, but the girls-only-workout-in-a-circle thing wasn’t working for me at all. Once I got over the nervous factor about the gym it was all good. I just keep my eyes forward and my mouth shut and work it! Heh. Thanks for your encouragement. I’m gonna get there, I just know it.

• AKAAuburnEyes~ Do you know where I could find that book? I’ve looked on Amazon & nothing. I love Doug Graham & I definitely need advice on what to eat/drink to stay fueled for runs.

I’m planning to run a 10 miler at the end of April & I’m not sure if that’s even a long enough run to need to ‘eat’ anything. I can barely drink water when I run let alone eat. Any tips?

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

MOTH- i highly recommend going to a running store for shoes. a good running store will watch you walk, ask a lot of questions, and have you try on lots of shoes! and then you’ll feel like you can fly! if not, the store should take the shoes back, no problem and try out another.

my fav marathon book is http://www.amazon.com/Non-Runners-Marathon-Trai…=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206494411&sr=8-2

good luck!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I’m going to find that book also. Maybe Organic Athlete has a link. Moth-the average running shoe is designed to break down after around 400 miles. I’m much harder on my shoes and they don’t last longer than 5 months tops. I like Phidipedes running stores as well as Fleet Feet Sports, but i don’t know if they are national. Yes. A good evaluation, where you are running on the treadmill and they are filming your stride is essential. I also found I needed to change my insole to a gel insert once i started running more than 10 miles at a time. raw_mama -you shouldn’t need any “food” for a 10 miler. Most people don’t use up their glycogen stores until 16-18 miles, but it depends how long you are out there. If it’s taking you 3 hours to run 10 miles, you may need something. You go! Moth-I had a WONDERFUL experience with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training. Mostly novice marathoners. great advice which you can take or leave and apply to your raw life. It was a great group. i still stay in touch with many of them. Runraw needs to have local chapters. If you don’t waqnt to run for a cause Runners World has descent training logs.

Raw_Mama I ordered the book directly from his website, www.foodnsport.com along with the 80/10/10 which I haven’t finished reading but is equally interesting.

His tips for staying fueled during endurance events was blending a banana in 2 quarts of water or soaking fruit in water overnight (dried fruit that is) and then removing the fruit to save for after the event (to replenish and refuel) and using the water to drink during the events or training.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Thanks for the linkAKAAuburnEyyes. i read 80-10-10 also. Hmmm is all I can say. We could have a virtual raw team here. Pick a goal and hold each other to it by posting our raw training. Do we have a long run guinee pig to try that banana blending. I’m afraid I’ll hurl.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I’ll try the banana blend! I have a super sensitive stomach but typically banana’s are the one thing I do ok with. I don’t know if I could do a date as per someone’s suggestion.. I am suppose to do 12 miles this sunday so I”ll do the nana and let you all know

I think 1 banana in 2 quarts of water (8 cups) can’t be nearly as bad as a sip of gatorade … I don’t have anything endurance length coming up now though. I can always try it during a regular workout, it can’t hurt!

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

EnjoyRaw-Way to go on doing your first 5k! I admire you so much! Jenergy-I started running by doing the Couch to 5k program from coolrunning.com. It’s a 9 week training course but if you’re not ready to move on to the next week you can repeat. I have done it once and run two 5ks. I have started the training over again because a friend who wanted to do it but didn’t want to do it alone. It’s a wonderful program! I myself felt embarrassed about running where other people could see me. I work out at our churchs gym and I just went at different times during the day to see when they weren’t very busy. I usually work out with elderly people! Good luck!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

That was me on the 2 dates at mile 18 instead of that goo. I subbed coconut water for Gatorade so that’s what i carried with me. Is it suggested you pack the banana water like any sports drink or you have it after? kminty3 what are you training for? You are nominated as our guinee pig girl. I’m working my way back to my weekly 10 miler. I’ll just be 8 this weekend. It’s going to be 72 degrees!!!!!!!! Ahh—to get those tights off and feel the chub rub again! Welcome again to all working towards a fitness goal.

The banana water is for during a endurance workout/endurance event. So is the dried fruit water. Post exercise is fruit until satisfied (particulary bananas, blend bananas to get them in you easier). How quickly you have it after matters though. I have always tried to stick to within 20-30 minutes when I advise cilents and for my own workouts. I think Dr. Graham had a more liberal 2 hour window, I have to reread that section. A photographic memory would be SO handy.

Exercise is at 6:30 a.m. tomorrow morning. I will try the banana water tomorrow and give a report, or a dried fruit soak water drink.

I wish I had known about dates when I ran my one and only marathon 4 years ago. I would have been popping them like pez instead of forcing down those nasty goos. The goos did the trick though. I am a complete date addict. Better than that other things though.

Made it – 1 quart water 1/2 banana (didn’t have a water container big enough for 2 quarts). It was less “viscous” than gatorade, looked creamy but was very watery and tasted lightly of banana. No complaints, I’d have no problem using that again for long events. Having a more substantial post workout smoothie now, spinach and bananas, leftover banana water and a handful of dates.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I’m going to try it for my long run, which will only be an 8 miler this weekend.

Stefunk, I just checked out that couch-potato to 5K program at coolrunning.com… Wow! I love how organized & simple it looks. Makes me feel like I could actually do it. ;o) Thanks for the heads-up on that. Now that it’s staying lighter outside longer I can start going for walks/jogs after dinner. Woo!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

jenergy—you can sooo do it. I love anything that keeps on a schedule—heck the page says today is a 2-mile jog. Who’s to argue with that! Most of those programs train you very well and that’s a very good feeling when it comes time for your event.On a humorous note, check out justyouraveragejoggler.com. This i’ve got to see! :()

Guess what… I jogged yesterday! For like a minute, then I had to walk again. But then I jogged again for as long as I could, then walked, etc. And it wasn’t THAT hard. I can tell I really need to work on cardio at the gym, because I was all outta breath almost immediately, which is a little disconcerting. I thought I was in better shape! Heh… onward… ;o)