Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Athletes?

Comments

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

That is awesome Jenergy!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Woo-hoo! off i go today! It’s 62 degrees already!!!!!!! it’s Spring! It’s almost strawberry time!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

jenergy – that’s exactly how I started a few years ago after not having exercised for several years! It amazed me how quickly I was able to increase the amount of time I could jog before I had to stop and walk. Now, I feel great just walking! I went on Monday for almost an hour, and when I clocked it in the car later I found that I had walked over 3 miles! It was so addicting that I wanted to keep going forever. Good thing I didn’t, though, I ended up being a little stiff/almost sore the next day. I am having a hard time making the time to go out and do it, but I can’t believe how that taste of it has got me begging for more! I want to walk across half the country and not have to worry about time and having to get back. Have you guys ever heard of Barbara Moore? She walked across the United States in fifty-some days! (about six miles per hour for around 18 hours every day!) She took some celery juice and banana with her, and everything else she ate was what she picked wild on her way. :)

• ONWARD jenergy! That’s how I started! YOU GO GIRL - can you hear my WHOPPING IT UP FOR U!!!

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

You know I just started lifting weights again and I am building muscle faster than I expected. I even ran intervals alternating 5.5 to 4.0 for 40 minutes the other day and I haven’t attempted that in three years. I’m finding that pineapple and fresh grapefruit juice really do alot to boost my energy. My wonky back is even doing good!! Whoot whoot!!

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

I know what you mean angie… to find myself craving exercise is weird indeed! Heh… for the last week I’ve had my son at work with me, a combination of spring break and an extremely cool boss, and haven’t been able to get to the gym. It bummed me out! We went for a walk/bike ride (me on foot, him on his bike) on two of the days, but the rest of the week it was raining and we couldn’t go. So out came the exercise DVDs. I just can’t believe my dedication lately. Starting to think I’m a pod person or something, haha!

Thanks for all the encouragement EnjoyRaw & everybody else, it’s great! :o)

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Does anyone else find that BEING RAW gives them INSANE amounts of energy??! The past two weeks, my vital energy has skyrocketed and all I want to do is move around and exercise, and sometimes feel like my whole being is vibrating very quickly! It’s very remarkable; I’ve never had this much energy before in my life! I just want to DO things all the time. :-) I’m off to the gym, right now, hehe.

• StefunkStefunk Raw Newbie

Jenergy-Way to go!! I do love the Couch to 5k program. Since this is my second go round with it it has been easier. The new runner friend I’m doing it with is very cautious so we have been repeating weeks. Week 3 took us 6 runs before she was ready to move on. I like not having to rush! You will be amazed at yourself and your body and all it can do. Keep up the good work:C)

Allison-I almost forgot…your marathon is today. Good luck!!!!! Can’t wait to hear how it went!

I went walking again this morning – an hour and 15 minutes = 4 miles! I am so excited; I set a goal a couple of years to be ready for a 300-mile hike by the time I turn 40. I am only 33 now, and I am feeling so good that I know it won’t be any problem; I’ll just have to find people to go with. Maybe after I get ready, I’ll spend more time to train friends to go with me heehee;)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Allison, how’d it go??? I managed an 8 mile run today. This is HUGE for me as i haven’t seen mileage over 5 for a year. So pleasant—deer, chipmunks and bunnies hopping along the Greenway. The deer make me cry. For me that’s all i need-a good run, some great tunes (i’m way older than ALL of you so today it was some old Neil Young mixed with Amy Winehouse), and self-time. PSOB! (Patting Self On Back). Try 10 next week for the long run.

• Thanks for asking everyone!! The marathon was sooo amazing. The weather was perfect and the course was in D.C. so I got to see the entire city along the way. I ran solid the entire way at a nice pace. I did NOT hit the wall at mile 20, I kept my speed up the hills, and I finished strong. I beat my first marathon time by 20 minutes!!! Running raw is just the best and I will never go back. I’ve already signed up for my next run.. the Disney Land 1/2 marathon in Aug.

lzhpt that’s awesome!

• lzhpt: you mentioned TNT in one of your earlier posts. Have you trained with them before? I did my first marathon with them in June of 06’.. the Rock N Roll in San Diego. Team in Training is great!!! You raise money for cancer, meet some amazing people, and train with a group of people and a coach. I think your idea of a raw TNT is awesome. I would totally quit my job to work on that ;)

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

Congratulations Allison!!! Great job!!!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Allison, you can tell you are on such a runner high! Congratulations! yes. i trained w/ TNT and did my first ever Marathon in Jan. ‘07—PF Chang’s Rock ‘n Roll Arizona. My team did chuckle at me ditching the nutrition seminar and subbing in the dates and coconut water. I’m getting the itch for another one—warm weather, scenic and FLAT!

Wow, you guys are so inspiring!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

jenergy—most of my TNT team were 11-12 min. milers & walk/runners who wanted to do something for a loved one. Some trained for a 1/2 marathon, others a full. The stories and dedications are truly inspiring and lifelong friends are made. You could definitely do it. It takes about 4 -5 months to complete a training.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

My running FINALLY feels better! like I”m back. I’ve ran two marathons over the last year and a half and am running one in Burlington Vermont in eight weeks. I had been really slacking on my long runs but finally this weekend I planned to do a 12 and I successfully and pleasantly completed it. I took coconut water with me and it was divine! I think I”m going to bring banana water next week for my 14 miler to practice with that too. I just really struggled with my running after giving up dairy and caffiene and going very high raw but I felt like “hey I’m back” this weekend, finally. The weather was also above freezing which helps alot of me because I have poor circulation in my feet and hands and tend to feel like they are numb in colder temps which is really uncomfortable. Hopefully this will be my best marathon yet with all this raw. I did have some green tea on my long run morning. I am going to start doing that even though I don’t drink caf during the week

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

did anyone clarify how you “carry” your drink on your long runs? i’d love to know any tips. my longest run so far was 10 miles and i didn’t bring anything. but as i further train for my marathon i’d like to know what you pros know!

• I did four miles today – Yippie!!!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

heartshapedsky—time to start packing for you. I use a fuel belt sold at many running stores. I think my little bottles (4 around the belt) are about 6 oz. each. For the marathon, I bought larger bottles as well, which i pre-filled w/ coconut water and gave to my somewhat enthusiastic husband for exchange at mile 17—just dumped the empties and grabbed the 2 larger ones. Now if you area SERIOUS marathoner, you are not going to want this added weight. i didn’t mind. i got used to training with the 4 small bottles. Also since I ran with a group, there were planned water stops so i only packed the coconut water. If you are by yourself, it gets a little more complicated, but if i’m around, I’d be there for you!!!!!

you’re awesome lzhpt, thanks!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

An option if you are running a long distance by yourself is to pre-plan the route and stash some drinks and/or food along the route. However, training with a group is awesome.

• Question: So, like many of you, I am an avid runner. However, I just started the master cleanse. I want to get things all flushed out so I can start raw clean! What are your thoughts on working out while on the MC? I usually run everyday, lighter run on days I do weights. But I’m thinking with no calories coming in, and lots of stuff going out, it’s probably not a great idea to be working out so hard (or at all?) Give me your thoughts, please!

NewbyRaw – ardesmond2 has posted somewhere that he quit working out for about 3 months when starting raw to allow his body to rest during the detox phase. I have read others saying similar things. Maybe go for light walks sometimes so you don’t rot;) but definitely the detox takes a while and your body is working hard. It sounds like you have the right idea :) Happy journey!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I agree w/ Angie, NewbyRaw. You do not want to be running where there is no bathroom—maybe yoga at home (check the ashtanga yoga thread for good DVDs) will help speed the detox, but when you are tired, just rest.

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

i think you guys are awesome because i’m definitely not a long distance runner… but I am a darn good sprinter!

any athletes besides runners? I’m dancing ballet again after being off for several years, i finally figured out its one of those only things that makes me happy and i’m putting all my energy into it. it takes A LOT to get the body back into ballet condition. even training for years and stopping for a month or 2 can set you back. I’m interested in how to train the best to get the most muscle strength and flexibility (exaggerate flexibility) with as quick results as possible (lol i’m american). My interest in results have to do not as much with body image/weight as with my eagerness to advance. So far i’m doing 2-3 days intense morning/ early afternoon class, 1 day rest. Will I get anywhere by taking a hard early class and second easier class later in the day on the ‘on’ days? or supplementing with yoga? i mean, if i workout not only hard in quality but also increase quantity will that be conducive? do we have to worry about protein intake, are there foods that give you better athletic results? will fasts/cleanses help or hinder?

EnjoyRaw, congrats on your four miles!

How do you all measure your distance? Do you have pedometers, drive it first in a car, what? I did a long circuit with my son (on his bike) last weekend, from our house to the park, then back past our house almost as far the other way to his school and then back home. MOSTLY walking, but I threw a few 30- and 90-second jogging sessions in there. I didn’t actually time the jogging, just did it until I felt like I couldn’t breathe and got a stitch in my side. I’d love to know how far that was though, so I can brag on my distance. :o)

Kundalalita good luck and wow on the ballet! I think that’s got to be one of the hardest and most disciplined physical practices out there. Sorry I don’t have any suggestions for you, though. I am SO not a dancer. Hehe…

i just got in to the nike women’s marathon in SF in october!!! i’m so excited, it will be my first marathon and i’ve heard this one is so fun!

Jenergy-I use my husbands Polar syster. (Pronounced Polare) I wear something on my shoe, a monitor around my chest, and a watch. It measures-altitude, distance, calories burned, low/high/average speed, lap time, regular time, and dices vegetables and makes coffee! Okay, maybe not the last two! I can then upload from the watch to my computer and it tracks everything for me. I don’t know the price but it is a worthy investment!