Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Athletes?

Comments

• heartshapedsky— I have heard that the nike women’s SF marathon is awesome from some ladies I trained with last year when I was training for the Kaiser SF half marathon last year. You get a tiffany’s bracelet or necklace, right?

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

italianagoneraw- yeah, i’ve heard they hand you a tiffany’s bag at the finish! i saw the necklace from last year. congratulations again on your blog!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

kundalita. lots of good questions and welcome to our world of movement-no matter what you do. My daughter dances 6 days a week—it is very deep work so i appreciate your efforts there. No problems at all with your current schedule. Of course you can supplement w/ yoga. Hot yoga, if you are not systemically hypermobile can be very restorative and cleansing, but it takes some getting used to the “boot camp” style. It’s not for sensitive souls. Here we discuss our exercise challenges and victories while eating raw. I think you’ll find as high raw as you are, your recovery time will be so quick regardless of amount of plant protein—maybe not even getting sore at all as I’ve recently discovered. italiangoneraw and heartshapedsky congratulations!!! I’m so ready! Easy 4.5 miler today. i have never enjoyed my running as much as I do raw. It’s effortless, free and painless now. jenergy—doing great!! Try pacing your breathing to your steps, inhale 2, exhale 2. that way the diaphragm doesn’t freak out and cramp on you, though as you relax you’ll fall into a more relaxed breathing pattern and you won’t cramp anymore. :)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

kundalita. lots of good questions and welcome to our world of movement-no matter what you do. My daughter dances 6 days a week—it is very deep work so i appreciate your efforts there. No problems at all with your current schedule. Of course you can supplement w/ yoga. Hot yoga, if you are not systemically hypermobile can be very restorative and cleansing, but it takes some getting used to the “boot camp” style. It’s not for sensitive souls. Here we discuss our exercise challenges and victories while eating raw. I think you’ll find as high raw as you are, your recovery time will be so quick regardless of amount of plant protein—maybe not even getting sore at all as I’ve recently discovered. italiangoneraw and heartshapedsky congratulations!!! I’m so ready! Easy 4.5 miler today. i have never enjoyed my running as much as I do raw. It’s effortless, free and painless now. jenergy—doing great!! Try pacing your breathing to your steps, inhale 2, exhale 2. that way the diaphragm doesn’t freak out and cramp on you, though as you relax you’ll fall into a more relaxed breathing pattern and you won’t cramp anymore. :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

jenergy – When I walk, I have just gone as far as I could or wanted to and then drove it later in the day to find out how far I had gone. If I decide to go a certain distance one day, I will probably want to drive it first so I know how far to go, but I have been walking the same route so I know when I get to the house with the black boat, it is 4 miles. :) Not as safe an area past there, so I’ll probably drive another route to see where I need to go if I want to go farther. For me, though, I tend to get discouraged if I am trying to go a certain distance, but if i just go, I usually am surprised at how far I have gone.

• www.mapmyrun.com is the site I use to measure my miles….saves gas…and if I don’t have any legs left to hope on my bike once I get home to retrace my route that’s where I go..on the site you can also search for routes other people have created that are in your area…great site…hope that you find it helpful.

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

thanks jenergy, and izhpt! I have tried yoga in a sauna as i call it, and yes it take some getting used to! well good to know my schedule and diet seem fine, and glad to know theres another dancer somewhere in the midst lol…does she do raw food too?

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

She’s a miserable teen, kundalita, and lives on white flour products!!!!!! Love her crazy spirit and she would be oh so lovely raw. I keep setting the example and hoping for the best. She was 11 when i went raw. The now 11 year old is the mini-me—must’ve been the cut-off to have an effect. She is the Gymnast and raw pie officionado! Rawks with raw spirit and love.

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

Well I finally got around to reading this topic and I am soooooo glad I did! I’m trying to get back into a regular workout routine and hope to be a runner one day! I’ve always been a good walker but I just want more. I tried to get into jogging/running last summer and actually pushed myself too hard and ended up with shin splints… that wasn’t too fun. Anywhoo after a nice and lazy winter I’m looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. I like schedules and I will definitely start up with that couch to 5k program! I’m excited! Wish me luck!

Oh and one question! What do you pro’s recommend for PRE workout fuel? Please give me some ideas to try out. I tend to get nauseous easily when working out hard. I don’t know if it’s eating too much of not the right thing or the lack of not getting enough fuel in me??? Some clarification would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :-)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Coconutty—even before a long run, all i have is fruit—at least 30 min. before i go out the door. if you’re exercising 1 hour or less, that’s all you need. more than 90 min., You may require something more. Good luck to you! kundalita, we could have a thread on the horrors of Bikram hot yoga alone!

• Hi everyone, I am 100% RAW for 3.5 months. I am a triathlete and am training for Lake Placid Ironman in July. I have run 3 Marathons as well as some triathlons on a somewhat SAD diet. So far I have trained on the bike as long as 2 hours and run as long as 2 hours with nothing but liquids (special homemade energy drink), without to much trouble. I find that I don’t hurt as much and seem to have more energy. Have to see how longer training sessions are going to affect me.

• All I eat before running is fruit also. Not only does it give me plenty of energy but it’s also hydrating. Even before my marathon all I ate was three pieces of fruit. Oh and I wanted to share what my recovery has been like since my raw marathon. Right after finishing the race I was just a little sore but able to stretch and walk around like usual. The very next day I wasn’t sore at all!! I could go up and down the stairs and run errands without any pain. That has been the most amazing part to me because after my first marathon I was crawling up and down the stairs and was sore for 4 days!!

• jenergy – Thanks and keep plugging away. I also map my runs/miles through www.mapmyrun.com. Type in your address and point-click the route you want to go and TAH-DAH – it tells you how many miles and estimates the Cal burned. It’s a beautiful day, but I got drag myself out the door.

Ok, I think I need a lil help. I planned on starting the couch to 5k thing monday but I decided to do a trial run today just to see where I was at cause I couldn’t wait, hehe… Anyhow, I followed the first workout exactly and it was actually pretty easy. Problem is I think my joints (knees/ankles) are gonna be the thing that’s gonna hold me back. I’ve really never ever been a jogger so my joints aren’t used to the shock. So is there any extra exercises (or anything) that I could do to help me adjust more??? I recently got a rebounder so I’ll keep jumpin around on that. Any other tips to prevent inury? Thanks a bunch guys!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Definitely good shoes at a great running store where they watch you run on a treadmill. Also, do you have flat feet (pronator) or do they scoop(supinator). Your shoes should be specific to what’s going on there. Superfeet makes a fantastic over the counter orthotic for the pronator. Make sure you get the green ones, though. They run about $30. if your mileage starts getting up there beyond 10, you’ll need to change out the Superfeet for a gel-type or Sorbathane insole. All of this available at a good running store. A good little test to see what your foot is doing is to sit in front of a mirror feet straight ahead and note the arch. Now stand up and check out the arch again—if you’ve dropped more than 4mm, you need an arch support in the running shoe that extends the length of the foot. More cool stuff to stock up on—blister-free socks and Body Glide (looks like a deodorant-you rub it where the skin rubs together, inner thighs,under arm seems, under center bra seem. also.. Be sure to run on easy surfaces, like packed soil or gravel at first. Avoid cement—blacktop will be better. Hope all this helps. Keep raw—those joint aches will disappear!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Leaving you all for a little while—florida for a parental visit and NYC w/ the hubby! A little Opera and a lot of raw food restaurants thanks to all the new yorkers here @ Goneraw. Keep exercising and I’ll be running and doing yoga in Fl., then walking all over the city!

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Hey, Izhpt… thank you SO MUCH for the tip on regulating my breathing to my steps. It made a major difference. Went on another walk/run with my son last night and I was able to run so much farther, and so much more often! I’m stoked! It feels so good to be moving again after a winter of being a slug. ;o)

I think I ruined my knee already :( I did my first day of the walk/jog program on Tues and now it’s Fri, the rest of me feels fine but this one knee is still hurtin me! Darn it, I’m so frustrated. I was so excited to start on this program. Hopefully things will get better over the weekend.

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

coconutty- maybe you need to just rest up that knee for awhile. don’t do anything that gives your knee discomfort. eat yummy raw food and rest rest rest. you will get better, focus only big love and healing for that knee and your whole body. good luck!

coconutty – I don’t know if this is for you, but for me, everything seems to have a mental/spiritual/emotional connection. I used to have HORRIBLE knee problems – my kneecap would even sometimes pop off to the side when I was standing and barely turned or something, and I would have to force my leg to bend to pop it back into place. It ruined my attempts at running after only about three months, and I had to be carried back down from a hike. While doing some emotional release work, I finally realized (a couple of years ago), that for me it was a physical symptom of an unwillingness to move forward in life. Ever since then, my knees have given me NO PROBLEMS unless I am having emotional/mental/spiritual resistance to something that is going on or that I could be moving forward into. In her book, “You Can Heal Your Life,” Louise Hay says that knee problems can be caused by a mental pattern of inflexibility. Just a suggestion; don’t know if it helps – either way, I can relate to the pain and frustration of knee problems keeping you from doing/accomplishing what you want. :( Oh, yeah, sometimes a good chiropractor can help a lot, too, if he/she knows what to do for it.

One more thing – if you start by walking, it seems to be a lot easier on your joints until your muscles build enough so that you can handle the jogging. Or, some people (like me :)) just do better with walking and yoga and never with running.

Thanks Angie… That’s really interesting, and since you mentioned that I’m very curious to look into it! I do actually have some huge changes in my life that are about to occur, and I’m still not sure if I’m looking forward to them or not. Weird! My knees have never been the greatest and I do have habits of inflexibility! Thanks for that input, I’ll be checking out that book. Not to stray away from the subject but do you have any other book recommendations regarding emotional release? I have loads of “issues”, hurt, pain, and what not, that I just need to get out of me. That’s one aspect of my health that I haven’t tackled yet so thanks again for mentioning it!

You’re welcome! I know of one other book, which I have heard highly used and recommended but haven’t read yet: “Feelings Buried Alive Never Die” – I think it may be similar. I can’t remember the author’s name. Also, there is one called “The Bright Red Bow” which is about emotional healing, and another one called “Healing Your Family History” about breaking free from negative family patterns. I haven’t read either of those either, but have heard good things about them from people I know. I’ll look up the authors for you when I get a chance. I think that “Healing Your Family History” is by Rebecca Linder-Hinze (not sure about the spelling on her last name), but I’ll find out for sure.

Thanks a lot!!! I’ll have to browse those online to see what I can find. So ya know, hey, maybe it was a good thing that I strained my knee, cause now I have some resources to help tackle some of my deeper problems! It’s just facinating how life works itself out! Thanks again.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

That’s very interesting insight about the knees, angie! I love running, but had to go on rest after straining my right knee during a six mile run. I’m soooo eager to get back to it that resting is driving me a little nutty. I also am a big believer in the mind/body/spirit connection yet never thought to relate that philosophy to what was happening with my knee. Maybe I can get some INNER work done while I’m resting up waiting for it to heal.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

someone mentioned dates being good fuel during a run so I tried it this weekend during my 16 miler and they did work great! I hadn’t run over eight miles until 2 weeks ago.. did 12 last weekend and hit 16 this weekend. I guess raw is helping my running afterall! The reason I mentioned the dates is because I have a really really sensitive stomach and can usually only do banana during a run but was able to stomach soaked dates just fine.. yeah!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

kminty—glad that the dates worked for you! MOTH—sent you some info. after you posted about your knee pain so i’m hoping you saw that. i was running around Fla. this past weekend and i’m tan!!! This from a fair skinned one—i never tan. I read about this w/ raw food and for me it’s a remarkable change. jenergy—so glad the rhythmic breathing is also helping. All you with the knees-get that leg up on the wall with your ice. It’s the best thing you can do…Interesting little tidbit—anterior (front) knee pain is your stomach meridian. Inside knee pain is the kidney meridian. Doing therapeutic stretching specific to these meridians can help so obviously some good quad stretching for anterior knee pain and inner thigh stretching for the medial knee pain. That’s quite simplified.

• So glad I found this! I plan to do my first marathon this year. I have nerer run long distance. I have been wondering what to eat/drink during and after a long run. I don’t have anyone to meet up with while training to give me coconut water. Any other ideas for sodium if I just take water? Also, what should I eat afterwards. I was told to eat some protein for recovery but not fat.

If you can take it, celery juice is a GREAT source of naturally-occurring sodium. I think someone on this thread mentioned dates for post-run.