Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

garden in my kitchen?

So are there and herbs or veggies that would be easy to grow a small amount of in a pot in my kitchen? I’d really like to grow a few herbs like cilantro or peppermint, and maybe some tomatoes or something but I live in a tiny apartment. hopefully this isnt a ridiculous question, lol.

Comments

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I would think that any herb would grow well in the kitchen. I’m going to grow wheatgrass. My neighbor grows tomatoes in the house all winter. Lettuce is supposed to grow well indoors. You could grow a salad!

• FeeFee Raw Master

Basil is good even I can grow it and I can kill anything!! Ok I did kill one last year but thats cos I never watered it. In England you can buy growing herbs in the supermarkets in a pot so you dont need to start them from scratch. My friend has a whole selection (basil mint etc) on her window sill with no problem.

• Sweet so herbs are a go! and I think I’ll try tomatoes. I suppose I’ll have to wait till I have a yard someday to have an orange tree (tree?) even though I want them so bad, I cant stop eating oranges all day long. I think it’s my first big preggo craving! :) I would try the wheatgrass but I dont have one of those little wheatgrass juicers. Anyway, thanks for the tips. Do you think it matters what size pot I plant these things in? Or what type of soil for that matter?

• in another thread on goneraw a member told me she was growing all sorts of goodies in her kitchen ( tomatoes and I believe even an apple tree!!) She said she started her tomato plant from a seed from just a regular ole’ cherry tomato she ate. I took her advice and tried this and sure enough it worked! right now I have a seedling growing that was started from a tomato seed! I can’t wait to see if I can get tomatoes from this plant. I read that when the tomato plant blooms indoors you should gently shake the plant ( or use an electric toothbrush ) at the base of the plant to mimic the buzzing of bees and help pollination. hope this helps.

• There is a fantastic book that I am reading that I would really recommend for anyone that wants to start creating container gardens of vegetable, herbs, fruits and edible flower. It’s called Mcgee and Stuckey’s The Bountiful Container. They explain everything in detail and it even breaks down whether you live in an apartment or a house, even a loft.

• Oh that book sounds awesome. Thanks Ardesmond2, I think I’ll go the library tonight and see if I can find it. My husbands mom and aunt have been giving me all sorts of seed packets for starting a garden since like last year, lol. I can’t wait.

• Thanks for the book suggestion. I’ve really wanted to do some gardening, but I’ve got to start very small.

• You can grow almost anything in your kitchen, or on a balcony in containers =) My doggie pulled up my baby apple tree and chewed it to death. =\ So, I have to go get some more organic apples anyway to begin new seedlings. I usually keep things out of their reach, but he got to it when I moved things around cleaning – he’s a sneaky sucker. I also have a mini-blueberry bush in a pot in my kitchen. But I hope to get that in the ground once the frosts are over. There was a person back home who even grew a corn stalk in a pot on his balcony. =) Herbs are wonderful for indoor growing. I have an Egyptian green onion in my living room window too.

• Ok I was reading this thread this morning at work and search the public library for the book that ardesmond2 recommend and it happen to be available in a near by library by my job and at lunch time I run there and got it. Thank you ardesmond2 so much, this book is realy easy to follow and is full of realy good info. Can’t wait to go through the whole book. I already have seed growing in my kitchen window waiting to be plant and some more seed waiting to sow.