Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

White Foods

I know everyone has various information on nutrition and so forth, but I have heard that along the lines of how color can represent which vitamins are in produce; the information I seem to remember getting was that white foods didn’t have much nutritional value and were more just starchyness. Sooo- cauliflower, parsnips, white eggplant, et cetera, I just look at them and they seem so bland to me. Does anyone know what type of nutritional value these foods hold and do any of you try to stay clear from these foods? I generally don’t like to rule out any particular food category, particularly vegetables, but I havn’t been able to bring myself to buy these yet. I’m really not one of those weird “i only eat brown/blue/whatever foods” people or anything like that, just have this weird stigma in my mind and would like your thoughts.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

rawrach, thanks for asking as I too am wondering the same thing. I don’t eat anything white either.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

parsnip and cauliflower are extremely nutritious. in fact, parsnip is richer in vitamins and minerals than its bright orange carrot cousin. do a little research on google, don’t be fooled by the colour, lol!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

Garlic, onions and apples are white and have lots of nutrients. White rice, white flour and white sugar are the antinutritive foods.

• well thats good to hear elizabeth, i have been wanting to try some of the rice recipes that call for cauliflower so I guess I just need to get over it:)

• cauliflower and ‘white’(eygreen) cabbage are yummy to me at the moment…both high in sulphur, which is very good.

i really love parsnips..not found a star recipe for them raw yet though.

as long as the food is naturally white and not bleached and stripped it’s going to be good!

this reminds me of a meal my mum was served up in hospital once. it was macaroni cheese, with white rice and cooked cauliflower. all cooked to stodgy death. that was another moment in my life when i realised how very wrong things can be! this was meant to be helping people heal. it wasn’t even doing it visually..

rant over!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

crystalbat i SO know what you’re talking about, it is OUTRAGEOUS the kinds of foods people get in hospitals.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

I know! Isn’t it disgusting?! They give those poor people such bad food…all cooked, proceesed, dead food! How do they expect them to heal? It just doesn’t make sense….

• mm…even any fruit that is given is not in any state to eat!! i remember thinking “ooh, a redeeming pear” then giving it a squeeze and realising it was like a rock and was thawing after being frozen and would never ripen.

very, very sad and weird.

my dad always said “if i ever end up in hospital, bring be a bottle of ketchup (uk)”

i stuck with my word even though it’s not great stuff…helps add a bit of flavour haha and contains lycophene so they say

sorry for the slightly negative subject change hehe, so what other white foods can you think of? coconut is the most pure white i can think of mmmm coconut butter…cacao butter though that is more golden i saw some pure white turnips recently and considered buying them over easter weekend as they looked so egglike and i thought i could dye them with beetroot

pale crisp apples…doesn’t get much better than that

sesame.

whitecurrents!

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

According to Gabriel Cousens’ white foods (apples, cauliflower, radishes, chives, leeks, scallions, garlic, and onions) contain the phytonutrients allysulfides and quercitin. He suggested eating all different colours.

Don’t even get me started on hospital food. Mmmm . . . reconstituted mashed potatoes.

• ugh… I volunteer in a hospital and it’s gross… not only the food they serve the patients on the wards, but in the basement we have a full food court with all the fast food crap one’s heart could desire! where’s the love! Has anyone ever wondered how the food industry and the health care system feed off eachother? Ignorance + Cheap nutritionally pointless foods= staggering medical bills. I mean I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist but… kay I’m gonna say it… IT”S A CONSPIRACY MAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!!! ;)

• lol. (“you’ve gotta laugh…or else you cry”) you sound like a conspiracy theorist! but yes, tis true…

hmm, i always forget about radishes..hardly ever eat them and horseradish and daikon/mooli honeydew melon is whitish

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Coconut is white!

• oh my NO. White food rocks, Yambeans are white and very nutrient rich. No No white food is the way to go. White mulberrys, peeled almonds are white. Yum cant go without the white.

• SystemSystem Raw Newbie

when they talk about white foods being unhealthy, i think that has to do with a standard american cooked diet mindset. Most white foods in the SAD diet are processed bleached wheat products with little nutrution left. So, they give a general prescription to avoid white food. however, white foods that are raw and organic and vegan are very healthy and nutritious and tasty! I mean, most flesh of fruits like pears and apples are white. :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

dreaminraw – i hear ya about hospital food. it’s a scary situation out there. I get angry when i see small children being fed fast food – they’re being exposed to disease and weight gain before they’re even 10 years old! How will they recover!