Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

How about a raw food diet for the economically-challenged?

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i also wanted to add that as you do this you get better at making affordable choices that work for you. i FEARED my bills before, but now it seems i spend a pittance compared to the people who check out before and after me.

nothing packaged, nothing bottled = cheaper.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

My opinion is (if you have to add cooked food to raw) stick with the brown rice and dried beans and nix the canned foods. Eat a green salad with the meal.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hell yeah piannisima! but those folks are subsidized! grin…..

zooey, poop, gas, vomit, drunkeness, debauchery, and general vileness always draw a good crowd…good times!!! ;)

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

You are TOOO FUNNY Omshanti!

• well this is probably going to disgust some people…it had that effect on me at first. My roommates and I (poor college raw vegans) make use of Food Lion’s Outdoor Refrigeration Unit (O.R.U.) They don’t advertise this special high tech unit because it is a special treat from the Universe…anyway, the only way I am able to sustain a raw lifestyle is because I dumpster dive frequently. The amount of earthbound farms spinach, romaine, and mixed greens that is thrown away weekly is astonishing. Most Sundays we come home with about $150-$200 of produce by hitting several dumpsters in our area…this seems unsanitary and unhealthy, but we usually only grab packaged goods or produce that has a hard exterior (pineapple, cantaloupe [which has been plentiful lately], etc.)

if anyone has any questions/comments about the ethics or sanitation involved with dumpster diving feel free to field them…when I first heard about it from an Anthro professor I was a little turned off, but now I save thousands of dollars on produce…thats how I get by

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Yesterday I raided the library for all their books on wild greens. I plan to identify and try one new plant a day for a month. It’s actually quite fun, and doesn’t take a lot of time if you’re just learning bit by bit.

MonsieurReality, there are probably more deadly germs in a hospital than in the dumpster anyways. My grandfather used to do that all the time and he never got ill. It’s really sad what school fees put us through though. One of my friends almost exclusively lives off of junk food.

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

I usually compare what i spend to the unhealthy. that includes groceries, there convenience store shopping, over the counters, prescriptions, maybe contacts, eating out, liquor, health insurance. all those things that healthy people dont need.

also, if i save money i put it to the side for health. example i pay my car insurance annually because i hate bills coming in every week. so that saves me $44. there for processing fee each payment that they would charge me. or if i save 2 dollars on avocados or 4 dollars on pants. bamm! that goes in my underwear droar.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

worleyhimself2 – what a great idea! I have definitely compared my raw food cost to my decreased need for prescriptions. The idea about keeping the money aside that you save on things is awesome! I’m starting it tonight – I just bought extra of some herbs that were on sale, and I know it’s saving me a lot in the long run.

I just thought of something else – www.azurestandard.com is a company that I order from. Things like nuts, oils, herbs/spices, seeds, etc. I buy in bulk and save a ton of money.

• You’re my kind of girl, Omshanti. You sound absolutely berserko.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Hey angie, my family ordered bulk items from azure standard for a couple years. They have a lot of really great stuff! Last year we switched over to a local organic farm for produce and cut way back on the packaged items, so we didn’t do the azure standard thing.

monsieur reality one of the smaller”trendy” markets down in encinitas puts their stuff that is , shall we say , out of date, in shopping carts on the loading dock behind the store…i get cut flowers from there often…the food that goes to waste is sickening though…i asked the manager about donationg to a soup kitchen and she said that it was against health codes but if i wanted to take it to a kitchen she wouldnt be opposed! how messed up is that? i took some nannas home from there once too but i didnt make it a habit, not sure why…some kind of weird mental block about it i guess..i mean here im stomping around about waste and willing to feed this perfectly good food to homeless people but for myself id rather bitch about the cost of living…whats that about? do you ever get negative feed back from the store about your diving? I mean if you pulled up there in a van and emptied the whole lot..would they care, the store i talked to didnt seem to but yet there is this weird…stigma, block, hesitation,inate pride? guh, this makes my brain hurt…your insights would be helpful….

zooey, sass is my middle name. course i usually answer to my other moniker… “smart ass”. wonder if this is what my dad meant when he said” youve always been a bit of a bohemian” who, moi?( batts eyelashes) GRIN

spirited mama: danka! ;)

• hmmm well we are pretty selective about our food. We obviously don’t take stuff that looks bad or rotten, that’d just be silly.

It is somethign I have done pretty consistently for almost a year now and rarely have I encountered anyone. Sometimes I’ll run into some other dumpster divers, if so we’ll chat about what’s good that day in the V.I.P. fridge or why we dive (A lot of people like to get veggies for pets and animals that frequent their property, great way to build rapport with your ecological community :] )

When store people come out while we are getting food or something they usually freeze for a minute, look either completely disgusted or they give us that ‘are you really taking food from a dumpster?’ look of disbelief. Then they say that we have to leave, because stores don’t seem to like it, even though it is perfectly legal to take the food once it is in the dumpster (public domain). Sometimes other people will drive by and look absolutely horrified! There is a stigma, and it took me a little time to get past it.

However, when you see boxes of rotisserie chicken sitting in the dumpster it gets you thinking about the grocery industry and our culture. An animal that is bred to be eaten ends up in a dumpster, not feeding anyone, and going into some landfill somewhere…is there anything more demeaning to the beauty of life? I don’t eat chicken or cooked food but there is a lot of food that could be feeding SOMEONE…and last time i checked there are a lot of SOMEONES needing food in this country.

Rarely though do we run into store people or anyone…so it is usually an exciting 5 minute adventure into food variety and freeganism!

best of luck. Take what you need, leave the rest, be well and earthen!!

monsueuir, when i wrote out of date i mispoke i meant not as fresh and pretty as they like to sell, akak bruising, brown spots on the nannas, ect… bread that i snot todays bread…i get that for my chickens sometimes in the winter to give them a treat. so i want meaning spoiled or bad…but you r answer was what i thought..people act all disgusted..there is that ick factor….hmm ill give it more thought! thanks for your insight!

• MonsieurReality thanks for this post I have a different outlook on FREEGANISM, I read about it yesterday and I honestly have to say I was little on the “ARE THEY SERIOUS WAGON” but today I kind of see your point now. Also thanks for the raspberry tip on the green juice, IT RAWKED>

Omshanti your recipes go on and on for days. My daughter is nagging me to make those darn spicy cheezits so for your sake and mines I hope they come out right . If not I am sending a virus to your computer HEE HEE.. No really I hope they come out the right way, cheezit’s was the last thing she had before we went on RAW. :)

ardesmond 2, if your cheezit dont turn out ill send you some for free…however if you are just a poor ass unbaker i resend that offer!;) teehee also realize these dont have the crackers snap as the “real” ones do but the flavor is authentic according to hubby who was a snack food conosouer….. happy baking! as per the virus i have a mac, I laugh at your virus, i blow my nose in the general direction of your virus….mwahahahahaha your virus is puny! ( i hope you are a monty python fan, other wise i hear crickets out ther right now….) teehee let me know how the cheezits turn out….

omshanti – You are totally cracking me up the last couple of days with all your posts – thanks!!! I loved the Monty Python imitation :D

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

angie~ I think omshanti is dipping heavily into a new batch of goji berries. ;)

Goji berries! And to think of all the time people waste with drugs and alcohol…:)

I blame the kombucha! grin, you know “increased sense of well being” and all that stuff! I like to spread the joy….;)

Angie your goodies get in the mail tomarrow…not sure exactly what foods you are avoiding other than fruit but the ingredients are on there sooooo, hope you and your dad and super man like it.

• What are these goodies you speak of. LOL

Omshanti are you making treats and not sharing. You guys crack me up sincerely.

I am so addicted to this site. :)

• Wow I have to admit too I sometimes eat Ezekiel and Manna breads. They are soooo good! Other than that I am all raw, but I do like making complicated food. Greenie-It is not for fear of anything, it’s because I ENJOY it. I like preparing, chopping, uncooking etc. And I miss cooking!

ardesmond, i was really touched by angies story so i offered to send her some nummies from my unbakery to entice her dad to the raw way! who knows the poor man may be scared for life after he tries my stuff …anyhow thats the scoop.

this site is great, i love all you people! I get cracked up all the time, either everyone here has grade A senses of humor or i am severly emotionally illiterate! teehee i prefer to see the world as coming from the same joyfully twisted way as i see it. Humor is where you find it i guess. ;)

Omshanti – Yay! I just sent you an email telling you how my dad thinks your offer is so cool and I can’t wait to see what kind of stuff you make! Anything that might “entice him to the raw way” would be awesome. I’ll let you know when we try it! :)

• omshanti how cool is that WOW

angie please let me know how your dad takes it all in.

All’s I can say is WOW

• Bananas! Bananas! Bananas! Bananas!

They are so cheap and have about 100 calories each. They are the raw-foodists rice/pasta/potato. Each day have a salad or two and a few pieces of other fruit (apples, oranges, berries, etc.), a few nuts, and then get the rest of your calories from bananas. Have 3-6 at a time – just don’t eat too much fatty stuff (avos or nuts) within a couple hours before or an hour after the bananas or your blood-sugar could go a little out of whack.

Yeah, bananas – I used to compare everything to bananas – I’d look at something in the store that would be nice to have, but not necessary, and I’d talk myself out of it by saying “I can buy a lot of bananas for $12!” LOL

• I see this is actually an old thread, but I still wanted to chime in...

I am nowhere NEAR 100% raw, more like 50% at best, but I find it SO refreshing to see all of you folks here you have a healthy (no pun intended) view on raw eating... and doing the best you can with what you've got.

Having just spent $$$ on various nuts, seeds, veg, etc this past week to make some fancy-schmancy raw recipes to take to a party (more for myself than anything, so I won't be tempted by the Doritos)... I can completely relate to the "how can I afford this?" question.

Even living in a big city, I sadly don't have easy access to a co-op (not conveniently, that I don't have to take off work for), and growing my own food is not a realistic option. So I am getting the hang of which grocery stores have better selections of which types of produce/foods at better prices. Who knew that Fiesta would carry young coconuts? Quel surprise!

Taking one day at a time, not beating one's self up for an indulgence here or there - that makes life manageable.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

I am banana free since August, since it is a hybrid fruit, and I am feeling the $$$ hit. I spent about $70 minimum per week on food and was able to try other fun foods and experiement. Now I spend @ least $100 every week (but not much more than $100 unless I eat out) and no longer feel like spending all of my money to experiment with new things. Maybe I will go back to bananas...but I really am enjoying the banana free-life...I think it's helped me.

Anyway, back to the subject @ hand.

The cheapest calories when it comes to truly raw food, at least in my experience: Bananas and Sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds back up my digestive system, but they are still cheap calories if someone can take them. Also try any other nuts that you can buy in bulk @ whole foods (many are organic and are still very cheap calories). Just find the dead food list to see if it is really raw, because, while I'm not trying to sound like a dictator against anything that isn't really raw, if you are going to choose a good type of nut/seed to eat regularly, it might as well actually be raw as opposed to not (cashews, etc).

On the subject of a cheap raw diet...there is an market in my city that sells EXTREMELY cheap produce. I could eat for $50 per week at most if I got my food from there. But NONE of it is organic. However, if I had no choice, I'd eat a 100% conventional raw foods diet. It would be cheap if you use certain markets (usually in dense cities...and not in the wealthy center of the town - I don't know if every city has such markets). A conventional raw diet is way better than a conventional SAD diet OR an organic SAD diet (organic waffles, pizza, etc).

Oh yeah, and relatively cheap organic is at Trader Joes.

• This is so far my fav Forum!!!! I am only about 80% most of the time so when my $$$ is tight I do go for non organic fruits and veggies and sprouted breads and beans (MMMMMM Beans) A weakness of mine!!

Thanks for all the great advice for us Po folk.