Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Beans-Kidney, Black, garbanzo are they raw?

snoopy99snoopy99 Raw Newbie

if i buy beans, kidney, blac, and garbanzo, canned from the store…are those not raw anymore? would i need to buy the dried versions and soak them to sprout them? are they good for the raw diet?

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Canned food isn’t raw. I recommend starting with lentils instead of the other beans. Dried Lentils, red or black, are very easy to sprout. They go well on salad. And they may be easier to digest than the other beans.

• snoopy99snoopy99 Raw Newbie

ok because i found a recipe for hummus and one person said that they used canned garbanzo beans…so was confused if they were raw or not

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Anything in a can has been heated to kill bacteria. They figured out that one ages ago when people were getting sick! Anyhow, you could buy dry garbanzos and soak and sproat them, then make your hummus. i personally hate this kind of hummus. It is nothing like the conventional kind. There is a zucchini hummus on this site that looks way nicer.

Really, don’t waste your time and effort on the sprouted bean hummus, it’s disgusting!

• snoopy99snoopy99 Raw Newbie

when i go to the grocery store i only find nori sheets that are roasted…where can i find raw nori?

• I made some tasty sprouted garbanzo bean hummus. I just kept mixing the flavors till I got it right. IMHO, the trick is to make sure you add a good amount of tahini and lemon and then I add in an avocado as well and it turned out just fine. I’m a big hummus person. I bought some dry black beans but havn’t done anything with them yet.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

We had a co-op here in Portland that sold raw nori sheets, but it has sadly closed. Now, I’d look online.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

snoopy 99: I get my raw nori at Whole Foods. Don’t know if you have one close to you.

People seem to like the Real Hummus recipe on this website, made from garbanzos. The creator uses a few dates to give it a little bit of sweetness. Pretty cool! :)

• I would not use raw kidney beans, soaked or sprouted. I have read that they are toxic raw.

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Kandace, which co-op closed in Portland? I hope it wasn’t Food Front. I am visiting in June and I love that store!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Food Front is still alive and well! It was The Daily Grind in SE on Hawthorne. I used to live in walking distance of that place and they always had raw nori, which was incredible. Now that you’ve reminded me, I should look at Food Front!

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Kandace, I love love love Food Front! Oh, i also loved New Season. Do you ever shop there? The last time i was in Portland i did go by the Daily Grind which looked like it was in the process of going out of business. I actually walked to The Daily Grind by myself from SW 3rd and Oak to the west bank Esplanade over Hawthorne to SE Hawthorne. It was a real trip as I am not at all good with heights. I couldn’t belive i did it. What an accomplishment. I was very proud of myself.

I would love to find out about any raw events going on while i am out there in June.

Maine Coast has untoasted raw organic nori sheets and the Food Front should either carry them or be able to get them for you. If not, you can get them online at: http://seaveg.com/products.php

• I’m in the process of trying to sprout garbanzo beans ( for the first time ) .. I’m on day 2 and already see the tails starting to come out!! I just used regular dry garbanzos (in a bag from my natural food market) ... I’m a whiz at hummus so I’m excited to try my hand at sprouted hummus in about a day !

• Oh, Daily Grind! I loved their salad bar with all of the sprouted beans.

Kandace/Other Portlanders- I bought raw nori sheets at People’s Co-op a few months ago. Not sure if they still have them, but I think I’ll check back in and find out.

• Ssarah & Kandace ~ I was at People’s 2 nights ago and the only raw nori sheets they had was a pack of 50 for $40. The price was too high for me and I didn’t want that much anyway (I’m only feeding myself). Do you know where else in PDX to get raw nori sheets?

• Mermadria- $40 is waaay to much to pay for a pack of nori! I buy my nama shoyu, sesame, and a lot of veggies at Asian marketplaces in town- An Dong on SE Powell (midway between 50th and 82nd-not sure of the exact x-street) is generally pretty good and very inexpensive. I’m not sure whether their nori sheets are “really” raw, but they do have varieties that are not labeled as toasted. Good luck!

• Ssarah – I live right off Powell, so I’ll check it out sometime. Thanks!

• I saw raw nori sheets on http://www.realrawfood.com 50 sheets for under 20 bucks. I paid more from an other site last week… then I found these.