Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

PURE FOODS in NYC

WooHoo! Just went to Pure Foods (Think Sarma and Matthew of Raw Food, Real World). Other than it being extremely expensive and some of the dishes really tiny, it was amazingly delish. Even my non-RFders loved it.

If you have a chance, go and get the lasagna, cheeze app and flourless fudge cake for dessert. Yowza!

Comments

• How awesome! I order from her online store http://wwww.oneluckyduck.com, NOTHING like actually getting to got the pad though! I live in Prescott, Az. I’m waiting for the book to come in the mail. I love their rosemary quackers. Good stuff! And nice to treat yourself!

• It’s too bad she doesn’t sell the same stuff on oneluckyduck as she sells at Pure Food and Wine. Wouldn’t it be cool if she had an account here on Gone Raw! She should sell her ice cream real cheap on her website, I would order it if she soaked the cashews. Can’t eat unsoaked cashews. And I wish she sold her own sprouted almond butter! I can’t wait till Matthew’s new book comes out. :)

• Hate to sound like a Pure Food and Wine basher, but I have been there several times and was underwhelmed. For the prices they charge, the service is lackluster and much of the food seemed very heavy. I used to pick up goodies at PFW Takeaway, but stopped after waiting on line interminably. It reminds me of that recent post about some people working in vegan eateries appearing a little brain dead. But that’s okay because it forced me to make a lot of my own stuff and save a considerable amount of money.

• MON - u are totally on regarding the staff. I hate it when wait staff act like they act like they are tolerating you.Yup, some dishes were small, but I guess that I just liked finally getting there and the lasagna was awesome. I tried making it in the past and there was no comparison.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

speaking of fabulous NYC restaurants, anybody been to quintessence? im going to new york again soon and want to try both restaurants. new york in general is so raw friendly, juice and salad bars everywhere!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

AHHH! I’m in NYC in 2 weeks! Decided not to go to Pure, mostly b/c of what Mon46 says and i’ve heard that everywhere. been to NYC many times and I’m so simple. I’m intrigued by quintessence. Where? We’re staying in Murray Hill.

• elizabeth, I frequently stop in there to get a “teccino cappucino” to go (incredibly good) and then go next door to buy some wonderful items at the Live Live store. Believe it or not, I still haven’t eaten in the restaurant. Still, the food looks wonderful, the portion sizes are more than generous and the staff are friendly. I’m planning on finally eating there with my non raw husband next week (he didn’t love Pure Food either, but was enthusiastic about Quintessence’s menu). I would definitely try it if I were you. Have fun in our fair city!

• SueSue Raw Newbie

Izhpt, I won’t hold it against you that you are a brs fan…I’ve been to Pure Food several times and the service has always been friendly. Had the same waiter each time (Maybe he saw us coming and knew I was a good tipper….lol) The food is pricey but yummy and I only order stuff I would not make at home. I truly recommend it. I’ve been to Quintessence and had the “burger” which was awesome. I’ve also been to Caravan of Dreams which is less pricey than Pure.. and has a more extensive menu, and is also awesome. Have fun on your trip.

• lzhpt, Quintessence is on 10th street between Avenue A and 1st Ave. (closer to Avenue A). Have fun!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

pure food – always had great service. i agree with mon46 about the heaviness of the food. their sundae is edible heaven though. and the ambience (esp. in the summer, outside) is AWESOME. go for a late dessert and a coconut water.

quintessence – been told i wasn’t missing much.

my absolute fave place to eat in NYC is bonobo’s. no atmosphere at all, so better to get it to go if you care about that. but everything is SO SO fresh. and so so healthy. you can make your own salad with all sort of great homemade dressings and nut pates and chopped veggies. kale salad… you can taste ANYTHING before you eat it.

have fun in the city!

• Piannisima, I also think Bonobo’s is a good place. Very simple, with friendly people who are happy to give you samples! And after reading everyone’s responses, I’m willing to give Pure Food 1 more chance. I’ll wait for the garden to open, though.

• Pianissima – I agree about the sundae… it was amazing. The food is expensive but definitely worth stopping in for the dessert!