Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw cashews - raw or not?

achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I’ve always been told raw cashews are not truly raw unless they were opened by hand.

However, on the Living Tree Community website, it’s believed that when cashews are conventionally opened by using heat, that not enough of the heat makes it through the shell to alter the nut itself.

Here’s the link: http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/store2/faqs.asp

I welcome all comments on this. :)

Comments

• Just to be safe, I always order my cashews at sunfood.com, where they are guarenteed raw. Interesting, though!

• I’ve been wondering about this too. My natural food store sells both “Organic Whole Cashews” and “Organic Raw Cashews”... but I’m not sure if they’re REALLY raw…

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I got nuts and stuff from Real Raw Food out in BC, and it is awsome. The nuts are TRULY RAW. You can tell the difference between ‘raw’ cashews and the really RAW ones. At least I can! I will only buy from these people from now on!

MMM I love David Wolfe and have bought Sunfood Nutrition stuff in the past, but as I am Canadian I would rather buy from a Canadian company!

• Katherine and Luna, this is totally off-topic but I have really got this romance thing going on with Canada right now. From the CBC podcasts, to the similarity in where i grew up—Northern Michigan—to the less aggressive, open-minded culture in Montreal and the amount of Europeans… Is this romance founded? Do you guys love Canada? The whole Barack thing here is stirring up some long-dead love for the U.S in liberal circles but in general it’s pretty tough here.

What do you say?

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Of course I love Canada! I just REALLY HATE the weather! I have heard the folks in California are similar to us here. There seem to be alot of artsy fartsy, open minded people here. Espcially in Vancouver! My town is pretty cool, there are a few vegitarian cafes and a really nice Indonesian/fusion place that has a seperate menu for veg. heads. (That place is reserved for special occasions as it is a fortune)

We have had some incredible musical talent sprout up in Canada over the years as well. It’s a great place to live. I like not paying to go to the doctor as well! :)

Like every country you do get your close minded conservative kill joys!

• Canada’s a pretty good place to live- as long as you don’t mind the weather (which I often do!). The post-secondary school system is pretty respectable, and there are even some exceptionally good universities here. The big cities- Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver- are AMAZING, in my opinion. But then you contrast the metropolitan hubs with all the rural area Canada has- it’s really the best of both worlds. As for our politics… well, they range from sketchy to barely-existant. We’re not exactly known as a political superpower now are we. So, just take all the Canadian stereotypes you’ve ever heard and deflate them into something realistic- and that’s pretty much Canada. I’d say the romance is founded…but then again, the veg/raw scene is very small. By the way, which university do you teach at?

• What do you mean by “Barack”? You mean Obama?

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Yeah, I think I’ll stick with the truly raw cashews from sunfood.com. Even if the minimally heated cashews are kinda raw, they probably still have a lot of mycotoxins! Sunfood.com’s cashews have been tested for toxins, and they test very low! :)

• Thanks, Katherine. I teach at a University in the area in the grad and grad program, in a addition to a smaller arts college in the area that you probably haven’t heard of.

Both of which I would be more than happy to tell you more about if you feel like emailing me.

And Luna—yeah, the music, the open-ness; I gotta give it a try, I think. Venice Beach is great but it’s sorta the only place to live in SoCal in my opinion—that is, the only place where you get a sense of community. And I sometimes feel surrounded by billboards and crazy drivers and celebrity-worship.

I want brambles and bees and a little path down to the river. And a place in back to write.

• Yes, Raw—Obama. Whether you’re into him or not, he’s woken up some people here who have been disillusioned for a very, very long time. If you’re not from the States, and not in the States—you really can’t imagine what it’s like. It’s like… waking up in a different country.

• Don’t think I’m some creepy stalker lol- I didn’t mean to pry into your private life. I just have a prof who lived in Cali recently… but I just checked, and he’s from Berkeley, not SoCal.

• Katherine, you can be my stalker any day. Berkeley rocks. And what are you studying up there?

• I’m doing history and English at Queen’s- and will be going for a post-grad in a couple of years if I have my way. I was actually considering Cali (or somewhere warm in the States) for my MA. I take it you’re an English prof? (Just guessing based on your screen name haha)

• English and History! California is great but So Cal is rough—I don’t know if you heard this but once you come to Los Angeles the U.S. Customs department confiscates half your brain.

(I’m going to get it for that one)

Email me sometime, you can find the address on my profile and we can talk fiction. So many great links and websites and authors…