Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

David Wolfe!!

2»

Comments

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Dave def. rocks! He has always been a very inspiring speaker!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

He has a lot of charisma and good products available, but I have a hard time with anyone who states things as truth without any credibility (ie he is not a scientist, nutritionist, or anything of the sort, neither does he cite scientific studies or quote those with real authority when making his claims). Coffee? I can’t believe he is promoting drinking coffee! Awful stuff and studies have shown that caffeine speeds up cancer (although I guess one could argue that all the other good stuff in a raw food diet would help make up for that and help cure the cancer?) I do learn from him and have enjoyed some of his products, and he has done a lot to promote health, but I just have a hard time with the fact that he promotes himself as one of the world’s topmost authorities on nutrition and he doesn’t have any scientific credibility to back him up.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Regardless, if izhpt, will share, he can park his boots next to my husbands. Phew, I better get out the maca!!:)

Yeah, I don’t actually agree that cooked food is poison. I just think it is incredibly inferior to raw!

aspire – Can you tell me where to find out more about outlawing organic food & seeds? That’s pure insanity

angie, what, what, what?!! did I miss something? Outlawing organic food? Who the h@# wants to do this? That is an outrage!

aspire said that there is a law trying to be passed in congress that would make all organic foods and seeds illegal by December 2009. It IS an outrage! I want to look up more info. about it so I can write my congressman. I’ll edit to say aspire and not JoyceH – oops!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

angie – I don’t remember David advocating drinking coffee – do you remember where you read or heard that? Maybe you are thinking of Juliano? He serves cold pressed coffee at his raw restaurant.

Yeah, David is not a scientist.. BUT he does do tests on the products he sells – meaning that if he says there is such and such amount of mineral or whatever in something – it is because he has tested it.

Honestly though I don’t believe every scientific study I read – I mean, you keep hearing reports that certain things are bad for you and than two years later they are great for you. I mean, what is really the truth here? A scientific study doesn’t always prove something is good (or bad) for you. I would rather buy a product from David Wolfe that he promotes as healthy than from say Kellogg’s or the Dairy Counsil. The Dairy farmers claim milk is good for us – we all on here know that is not true – they just want to sell their products.

He’s actually a lawyer and has a few other degrees. I heard he was working on some sort of nutrition degree.

He is his bio: http://www.davidwolfe.com/Biography/tabid/563/D…

But really I don’t feel that you need a degree to learn nutrition. I think many of us on here know more than some doctors! I don’t have a degree and I feel I know enough about nutrition in certain areas that I could right a little booklet on it. :)

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Queenfluff, I couldn’t agree more. Personally, I don’t see why you need to be enrolled in a university to read a textbook. One of my favourite quotes is by Mark Twain when he said “I’ve never let school interfere with my education”. None of the stuff David Wolfe has learnt would have been done undergoing formal education. In fact, he’d just be out there with all the others promoting aspartame, but he’s smarter than that and you can tell buy the way he speaks. If he had a degree it probably wouldn’t change anything he’s said. However, it may just waste time he could use with further research into raw food. This rant has been brought to you by someone very disenchanted so far with formal education.

Has anyone read David’s new book Amazing Grace?

queenfluff – I was just responding to the post by lzhpt – she said she saw him making a smoothie with coffee as the base.

Sorry, everyone, I didn’t mean to say that a degree is required to know something, but usually the most credible sources say where they got their information – they cite their source of information, or they give specific information about the studies they or others have done that show the results they are stating as true. He doesn’t do that from what I’ve read. That doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t have truth. I would say that a lot of us know things about nutrition, but where did we get our knowledge? By reading what has been written and researched by others. He probably has gotten his info. the same way.

stRAWberry – He is underweight? As for the “breatharian” thing, I have heard that there are people in the world who live only on sunlight and water. There are also studies I have read about that show that the more food we eat, the faster we age and die – even raw food (but here I go not citing my sources – man I am a hypocrite! lol).

Sorry if I sounded critical. I am just presenting different opinions and ideas, not trying to judge whether David Wolfe is good or bad. I have learned a lot from him. I guess the thing I am concerned about (for myself, too) is getting too hooked into one person’s view or way of doing things when it may be that not everything the person says is really best for me. Example: I am now following a plan by Gabriel Cousens to reverse diabetes. The majority of the plan feels right to me, and I have gained a lot of information from Dr. Cousens that I hadn’t heard before. There are a few things about his plan that I know are not right for me, so I am not doing them. I felt the same way about a lot of the things David Wolfe said before, or about products he recommends/sells. I have learned a lot from him and have been extremely grateful for his raw chocolate and some of the things I have read in his books. Sorry I was so negative before.

stRAWberry, well, we are all entitled to our opinions. He has a pretty nice physique for someone who is underweight!

I really appreciate everyone’s feedback and opinions! I agree, queenfluff and Raw_Chocoholic – I am super interested in nutrition and have read tons of books about it. But in college I chose not to go into nutrition because of the things you mentioned. I felt it would be a waste of time, so I chose to go into web design so I can better promote the raw lifestyle! Man, I am feeling stupid tonight!

• For those of you interested in David Wolfe’s education, here’s what it says in his bio: degrees in Mechanical and Environmental Engineering and Political Science. Studied at Oxford (doesn’t specify for how long). Juris Doctor in Law from University of San Diego.

To me, it looks like the guy knows how to do research, but I agree with Angie that one should quote one’s sources to be perceived as credible. Some of his claims are a bit (or a lot) out there and I’d like to know what studies he’s drawing from. Still, he is sexy. Then again, would you expect any less from us Leos? ;)

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

angie, no need to feel stupid. In fact, I feel my rant was a bit over the top and I also felt bad afterwards. It’s just that I’ve just spent too much time watching people I know decline in health over the fear to question the professionals. Because of this I don’t really see a degree as a sure sign of knowledge, but something society depends upon too much in judging the worth of someone’s voice. You certainly have a right to question the source of any information and I don’t think you should have to feel stupid for that.

How would it even be possible to outlaw organic foods? I can see them passing a law that they wouldn’t have to label GMO or pasteurized foods, but under what grounds would organic be deemed unsafe?

• as for david, he can be a really entertaining speaker, and he has a greater knowledge of nutrition than most in the healthcare field, but i have to agree, he is NOT a scientist. i could care less about what degrees he has.

strawberry – i agree storm has a really nice body, but according to his own site, he’s been living off of orange juice mostly for the past year. most long term raw foodists eat much less and do just fine, dont lose weight. i think david wolfe probably eats too much fat, too much chocolate, and based on video/pics ive seen of him shirtless, his stomach looks a little bloated. maybe he should lay off the cashews and jungle peanuts.

david jubb is the only “nutrition expert” whose knowledge and scientific approach truly satisfies me. his opinions on nutrition are all based on concrete data – he does his own research with high powered microscopes. he seems to have a real understanding of how the body works. he doesnt eat much either – maybe 300 cals a day. and hes not thin

and i have no problem with conspiracy theories. once you realize how sheltered the average citizen is, anything is possible. most people’s reality of whats going on in the world is based on mainstream media, mainstream “education”, and opinions of family and friends who have grown up in the same system.

• Outlaw organic foods???? It is just ridiculous and sad. They are trying to make us ill, they make genetically modified food full of pesticides, artificial flavourings, preservatives, doctors prescribe medicines, which rather generate more ill-effects than heals, But I think any government does not have the RIGHT to prohibit your choice! In Hungary in the communist era organic food was outlawed too, but come on this is th 21th century!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I would think any desire to outlaw organic food and seeds would be something to do with Codex Alimentarius, which is like the WTO of the food business. If they could, they would. I am sure our government is willing to help them and the target date for the USA opting into their goals is 2009. The only possible safeguard we have is that so much money is being made off organic food. You should google their name and find out what you can. You will be exposed to some very scary stuff,

Most of you are complaining about what Dave says and what he eats. First of all the man has a lab of is his own where he tests all of his products. No hes not a scientist, but most scientists today are making drugs and so called “foods” which are killing off everyone like flies. I would rather listen to an herbalist than a scientist any day. Second you should all really look at what you are eating before criticizing others. Yes Dave eats a lot of chocolate, cacao and coconut butter, and cashews, but thats what feels right for him. Is what you are eating any better or worse? Most of the recipes that are posted on here are loaded with nuts (fat) and on top of that oil. Basically it seems like living on nuts alone with small amounts of vegetables and fruits. And nutritional yeast; is that really good? Or does it just taste good? Sorry to sound very critical but it angers me when people just criticize other before evaluating themselves.

• You make some good points humananimal. We probably should just drop this thread. It’s just that when someone puts them self out there as being a top authority on something it can’t help but illicit controversy and comments. It’s just our human nature. At least not everything said about him here has been a criticism. He is most likely way more experienced and knowledgeable then most all of us here on this site. I’ll shut up now. I’m starting to feel sorry for the poor man. What if he actually visits some of these sites and reads all these comments. On the other hand he may just laugh at it.

You make some good points as well :) I believe that we should all take in information and and do with it as we please. No one is obligating anyone to live a certain lifestyle. I remember Dave saying that a woman came up to him and told him that he told her to eat this and that. Was she obligated to do everything that he spoke about? No! He just offers suggestions from his studies and his own experiences. And never shut up ! You are free to say whatever you please :) I guess one of my pet peeves is people talking about others when they themselves are not perfect. I have done in the past as well, but now I keep an open mind. I apologize if I hurt anyones feelings and I sure hope I didn’t acquire any enemies on this site.

V

Not to worry! I have such an open mind! I really pride myself on being open and liberal. I really don’t think you need a degree to be an authority on something. Plus, if he were to go to university and get a degree in nutrition, all he would be getting fed is the bullcrap SAD ways anyhow!

Anyhow, I do like the guy, I think he has alot of great things to say. Some things I don’t agree with, and that’s fine. I am sure it is probably fine with hime too. You can’t please all of the people all of the time!

And no, humanimal, you have not made enemies, at least not me.

• Me neither, I agree with you humanimal!

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

No worries here, humanimal. :o)

• Hey Angie! Sorry, for the late response! I have posted a new thread titled “EVERYBODY needs to know this!” that contains a 40 minute Google video of Dr. Rima Laibow (who left her successful medical practice to head up HealthFreedomUSA to stop Codex Alimentariius that most people are completely unaware of) who speaks about how Congress is in the process of passing 5 Bills right now that will effectively ban all true nutrients and truly organic products. Please watch.

http://goneraw.com/forums/6/topics/4537?page=1#...

You can find more info and links at HealthFreedomUSA.org, but I am going to search for the other links I have around that pertain to the info regarding how exactly they (Codex people) managed to get actual nutrients labeled as toxins and poisons and other relative information that effects our health, our lives. I’ll get back!

Also here is Chris Carlton’s post on Codx from a few months ago that explains Codex some: http://goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/2734

No worries here either, humanimal – and sorry if I offended anyone!

aspire – thanks for the info. :)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Wow. i hope no one was offended by the poncho humor—you know I’ve learned so much from DW. Far be it from me to criticize the coffee smoothie (i’m still on 1/4 C of the caustic stuff each day). On my part, I was mearly pointing out this video exists out there and may be misleading to a newbie raw foodist. That said, we each find our own and for the newbie out there whose saying, “I can’t eat that way. It’s too expensive”. I say you don’t need these products. You DO however need the cacao and a sense of humor about hemp ponchos. It’s just funny. Eat Raw Live Long. Laugh more, Live Longer. Thanks for the forum, Luna blu. I’ve had some good laughs.

• I went to go hear David Wolfe speak at Rawvolution tonight. He really is an engaging speaker. We really had a great experience hearing him speak. We got to meet him after the lecture, and he was fabulous. The new edition of the Sunfood Diet Success System came out tonight, so we picked that up, as well as “Amazing Grace”. I was just so thrilled to meet him. Our teenager said she could see me blushing clear across the room.