coconut oil/butter: healthy?

anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

Hi,

I have seen many recipes using coconut oil/butter, but does not it have 90% SATURATED fat? is that healthy?

Thanks.

Comments

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

hello anngoingraw: Coconut oil is about 80% fat, and the saturated fat in it is very healthy. The saturated fat in coconut is composed of medium chain fatty acids (MCFA’s), which is pretty rare. These types of fatty acids are more likely to be converted to energy for the body’s needs, as opposed to being stored as fat.

Not all saturated fats are unhealthy. Cocoa fat (chocolate!), and palm fruit oil are other forms of healthy saturated fat. I’ve heard mixed things about palm kernel oil.

So have fun with coconut oil, no guilt required! :)

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Couldn’t have explained better. Awesome achin!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

I am now an Artisana coconut butter addict! It has replaced my almond butter habit. So much for lightening my diet LOL

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

Great! Thanks a lot!

It’s increable my desinformation!!! I will try to find coconut oil/butter and try to make any sweet recipe.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

humananimal: Thanks!

anngoingraw: If you’re just transitioning to raw, maybe you’re not too worried about this, but a lot of coconut oil out there is labelled raw, but it’s actually been processed at high temperatures. Truly raw coconut oil should have a wonderful coconut aroma. Coconut oil that is not raw has been deodorized. Just something to keep in mind as you go shopping! :)

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

thanks a lot achin70, I’ll try to look for a really raw oil. I have looking for information MCFA, very interesting!