Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Introductions Are In Order

Hello every(raw)body! My name is Adria and I am a 33 year old graduate student living in Portland, Oregon. I’m getting my Master’s in Teaching but am also a lifelong singer/songwriter/actor/goofy creative person.

I have been overweight since the age of eight and have a form of chronic depression called dysthymia. I also display signs of having polycystic ovaries. I have never been diagnosed with any major endocrinological imbalances (only a slightly underactive thyroid), but my suspicion has always been that it’s all connected and that once I find the key, all these things will be healed simultaneously. Four years ago, when I found Shazzie’s website and started reading about raw foods, I believed I had possibly discovered that key.

I started to go raw, felt incredible, but then had some traumatic events occur and allowed that to take precedence over my health. Over the last four years I’ve gained weight and lost it, fluctuating between 153 and 189, but mostly hovering around 168. At 5’2”, I should be around 130. Every year around springtime, I have been drawn back to the idea of going raw. This time, I mean it.

When I began looking into raw foods last week I weighed 188. As of this morning, I weigh 184. Also, I feel terrific. I’m rediscovering what true hunger is and, because the food is so nutrient-dense, I’m getting through the day on much less of it. I have one meal a day in which I eat cooked foods and the rest of the time I’m totally raw. My goal is to be 100% raw by my birthday in August. I am not a vegetarian and will probably continue to eat fish.

I’m very excited about joining this forum and receiving the support of lovely raw foodies. I certainly have a lot of questions! I realize now that all those problems I spoke of above are symptoms of what David Wolfe calls the “false body,” and I’m looking forward to losing it!

Thanks for reading,

Adria

Comments

• hi adria, glad you’re here! sharing your love for david wolfe !!! just watching videos on the best day ever right now…

your right on it…love the journey LOVE, jenny

• Hello! I’m in Portland too, glad you found the site!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Adria – I went through a remarkably similar experience, but with different health issues. At one point I KNEW raw food was the answer, but stress and trauma put me back gaining weight. Several months later, as I worked through the emotional/mental things that were making me continue to gain weight, I came to the realization that there was the real me inside, and if I fed the real me, all the excess (weight, sickness, etc.) would just go away. Later I read David Wolfe’s thing about the false body and it was what I already knew about myself! Anyhow, I never intended to eat raw again because I had been so stressed about it before. I became willing to feed the real me, and within two weeks I naturally wanted to eat raw! That was almost 3 years ago. My thyroid is no longer underactive, I don’t need antidepressants any more, my cholesterol is normal, and I have more energy even when I am sick than I ever had before. Best of all, I LOVE the food, and I find it hard to believe that I ever thought of all those boxed things as food! :) Life is GOOD and getting BETTER! Good to “meet” you!

• I don’t think of Raw food as the miracle cure-all, but it’s definitely worked for me. I had mad hormonal issues that went away when I went Raw. I considered that maybe it was the weight loss that helped, but when I went back to cooked my problems returned, even though I maintained my weight.

Adria & Angie – I’m glad it’s working for yall, and for so many other people!

• Thank you all so much! I feel very welcome already.

~Adria