Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

achy muscles

pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i’ve had achy muscles in my arms and legs for the past 2 weeks (i think). it feels like there’s a sort of restless energy brewing in me.

i’ve been high raw since last july and experienced absolutely no detox symptoms. is it possibly i’m getting a delayed reaction?

i’ve also been going a lot of yoga, but i don’t usually get this sort of feeling from exercise.

any thoughts?

Comments

• I’m not sure about the detox. Make sure you’re getting all your vitamins and minerals. I sometimes tend to get stuck on certain foods that I like and need to go out in search of more variety for my diet. I then feel so much better after making a green smoothie with a new veggie I haven’t had in a long time. Also, yoga for me has been great… but I noticed that it has triggered some pain in areas where I have had problems in the past. It’s slowly getting better. My ankle which I hurt running 4 years ago is now feeling some pain (maybe the nerves?) after doing yoga… but it gets better the more I do yoga. I hope some of my rambling helps :)

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Are you still drinking coffee. Coffee is known to promote achy muscles. Also foods from the nightshade families may do this as well. Achy muscles may just be a sign that you are allergic to the nightshade family. I will also add that too many spices or maybe one spice in particular may be causing this. Indian food which contains a load of spice is not a yoga food. Try to cut these things out and see if your symptoms decrease or totally go away.

V

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

interesting.

skystrdust- i’ve been trying to incorporate some extra variety, but there’s not a whole lot of choice in the winter here. i’ll look…

humananimal- wow. i think you may have hit it on the head. i don’t drink coffee, BUT now that i think of it it started around the time i made this delicious raw marinaded eggplant dish. hm… and then i felt like i needed iron so i added some cacao (which i normally don’t eat at all) to my dessert and that’s when it really got bad. i’ll try and notice the spices… i’m pretty minimal in spices in general.

why is the nightshade family bad?

oh, one more thing: i’ve never had problems with cooked eggplant.

and ironically i was trying the eggplant to add some variety to my diet… oh, i am a constant experiment!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

pianissima—don’t skip those dark green leafys—loaded w/ magnesium, which will ease the muscle symptoms. have you had anything cooked? I always have a harder recovery if anything cooked sneaked in.

• I just ordered from David Wolfe’s site a new product – Magnesium oil. You apply it topically and absorb the magnesium through the skin. The claim is it goes right to the cellular level to relieve pain and inflammation. I’m curious to see if it works as I have fibromyalgia and have a lot of achy muscles. You could also try Epsom salt baths. That has always helped me.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Most of the nightshade family fruits are picked way before they are actually ripe. For example green peppers are just immature bell peppers, so are green tomatoes. Even though eggplant is purple when you buy it, it was picked green. Picking these fruits at an early stage in development can trap naturally occurring toxins inside. The main reason why you really did not have problems with cooked eggplant is because these toxins are destroyed when subjected to high heat. Another example are potatoes because many are harvested when they are still green. Out of all the nightshades I believe that you should really steer clear from potatoes. They are extremely starchy and very difficult to digest. They also contain the most concentrated naturally occurring toxins. Natural doesnt always imply good :)

thanks guys!

magnesium… hm… if i ate more greens i’d turn green, seriously. but i did incorporate some cooked veggies since i thought it was detox and that would slow it down… now i realize i should probably just hold my ground…

thanks for the info about nightshades humananimal.

is there anything else i could eat to get this OVER with????

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Pineapple, papaya and mango—foods with very high enzymatic activity have natural anti-inflammatory properties. Muscle soreness or body aches/fatigue, Pianissima?

i’m not really sure how to describe it.. it’s more of an achy feeling… it’s the same feeling i got once when i did a juice fast… like when you’ve gotten out of a hot bath and there’s this PULSE in your system. but it’s not making ME more energetic, it’s making me more tired…

i’m down with eating pineapple and mango! yum!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Sounds like you might be sensitive to the cacao? It does have theobromine in it which can be a stimulant.

MSM is supposed to help with achy muscles plus it speeds detox.

queenfluff—yeah, it’s some combo of what i ate and i don’t think the cacao helped. well, at least i know that now.

i’ve never tried msm, but i’ll go check it out.

also, i looked “nightshade” up on wikipedia and i still don’t really understand what it means. how can tomatoes and potatoes be similar? help?

pianissima -

I may not be 100% accurate on on this but it is my understanding that plant families are classified according to similiar rules that animals are. For example, we humans are mammals but we aren’t really like some other mammals at all – like dolphins. We are classified as mammals based on the fact we give “live birth”. Just like birds are all egg layers – but not all birds fly.

So, in that same manner of thinking, plants are classified based things like “produces flowers” and “does not produce flowers” and than subclassified by leaf and seed number. So, really the tomatoe and potatoe really don’t have much in common other than their structure (ie both potatao and tomatoe plants produce flowers ). So, I don’t think you should think in the vein of “I can’t eat any nightshades at all” . The “nightshade” family of plants is really just an order of flowering plants. The potatoe and tomatoe just got classified in the same family based on similarities in plant structure.

Does that make sense? Sorry, if that is too “science-y”. That was the best way I could think to explain it.

no that makes total sense. so nightshade means produces fruit? i guess i was just wondering how i could feel confident going “oh that’s a nightshade… OBVIOUSLY because____” =)

Not all the nightshade plants produce a fruit or berry – some are herb producing. But they are all flowering plants. So, there isn’t really a definatae way to to say this is a nightshade – you sort of need to know which ones are in the nightshade family.

Here is the page for the nightshade plants:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae

You know that the wolfberry (goji berry) is in the nightshade family. :)