Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Honey!!

Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

yeah, this is a controversial one, but since I have found out that raw agave isn’t really raw, I am thinking of going back to using raw honey. I bought some local honey that is pretty much solid, and it says raw. So, is the solidity the tell tale sign that it is raw?

i know the whole story about ‘stealing’ the honey from the bees, but I do my part for animals every opportunity I get. So I am willing to have honey as long as it’s RAW.

So, in a nut shell, how can I tell if a raw honey is truly raw?

ps. Pleas don’t jump all over me with the facts on honey harvesting and such, I already know! :( and don’t hate me for this choice all you bee lovers out there.:)

Comments

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

If it’s really thick, pastey, and almost opaque, I think it’s a pretty good bet that it’s raw!

• You could always make DATE syrup, especially with the tasty dates you get from Canada.

Honey makes me want to throw up every time I taste it.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

coconutty, yes it is thick and totally opaque.

ardesmond, I was thinking aobut that with the dates! The last ones I got from BC were so gooey and moist it would haved worked like a charm! (if I hadn’t pigged out on them!) I am not the biggest fan of just sitting down and eating honey either. I wouldn’t say it makes me want to throw up though!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Raw honey will crystallize (get thick/whiter/hard) and heated/pasteurized honey won’t. My dad used to have bees and he always took some of the honey but left some for the bees, too, but I think most beekeepers are into profit and take it all and then feed their bees sugar or corn syrup for the winter – :P. I WAS a fan of sitting down and just eating honey with a spoon, but only for a very short time, until my body got enough of whatever it needed from the honey (I am betting magnesium and enzymes – I used to have a lot of allergies). What do you mean, raw agave isn’t really raw? The bottle I bought says “specially processed at temps below 115 F” – what?

• Yeah mines to angie, but just like everything else people are using different AGAVE’s and I can say I have done some reading that some AGAVE’s are just a mixture of corn syrup. I only buy one brand and it say RAW and shows some people on the side extracting the agave at a certain temp and what not. If you want to be totally safe you can yacon syrup or buy the blue agave from whole foods.

• Luna Blu- being the raw honey lover I am and having tried a handful of “raw honeys” I will spare you the efforts and recommend the best raw honey I think as far as taste and purity on the market- by far YS organic bee farms- note the thick texture (if its already soft in the jar its not raw honey)

http://yearstoyourhealth.secure-mall.com/shop/?...

This the raw honey many of the Raw Living Food Restaurants use in NYC and/or sell. Just dont get the one with Royal Jelly- not so yummy.

Angie- if you want the background on why Agave isnt truly raw and Ardesmond is right and that quite a handful can be tainted with corn syrup w/o even listing it- check out

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/agave.html

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Thanks for the link, but I am from Canada, and like to buy Canadian and better still loccally farmed things. :D

Madhava is the brand of agave, but you have to get the raw one. If it had corn syrup, I would be able to tell by the way it would affect my blood sugar, I should think. The one I have used raises it some if I eat a lot of it, but it is not as high and stays steady longer like other low-glycemic foods. Corn syrup definitely doesn’t act that way in my body! :)

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I get my honey from a bee keeper whose hives are only 100 yrds from my house! His honey is completely untreated and natural. Don’t judge the “rawness” by its tendency to solidify. Some types of honey do that (like orange honey) whereas my favorite, chestnut honey, will never solidify. About Agave necter, I really don’t care for the flavor, so I use a combination of Canadian maple syrup, non-raw but I love it, stevia (in small quantities cuz I don’t love it), and honey.

Also, raw honey is liquid at first and eventually thickens up – this takes more or less time depending on what kind of flowers the bees make it from. If your honey is thickened up, you’re safe to assume it’s raw; with the liquid, you never know. I happen to have a friend who is a beekeeper and we get our raw honey from him. Yum! :)

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Cool new photo ardesmond2!

• Thanks Carmentina I am blushing…

I know we talked about this hours ago, but you guys I went out and bought some REALLY RAW HONEY, I am making some honey mustard dressing. CROSS YOUR FINGERS >>

I LOVE THIS SITE> peace.
  • I also use really raw honey…it’s sooo good! ardesmond, if you figure out how to make honey mustard dressing PLEASE let me know!! I used to LOVE that stuff…a little too much! I tried making it once but no such luck…

• jackiev ahhh yeah me tooo. I just made the honey dressing from this site and pardon my spanish or is it french IT”sucked. SOrry for whoever recipe it is, but I am not sure what kind of honey mustard they have had in the past. It was disaster.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

I buy Really Raw honey. I think honey is freely given by the bees, don’t you? No one’s eating the bee or giving the hive extra honey making hormones. It’s like their prize—”Look what we made for you?” I think they would be sad if we didn’t eat it—all that work and all. hmm?

• coconuttycoconutty Raw Newbie

ardes – sorry to hear that recipe sucked! I checked it out and wasn’t too sure about it. I think you’d be better off keeping it more basic. Eh, who knows though. I make non raw honey mustard dressing all the time mostly for the hubby… 3 ingredients – vegenaise, dijon mustard, and honey of course. So I would assume if you can find a GOOD raw mayo that is pretty authentic tasting you should be good. As far as the dijon mustard goes, I would think mustard powder, a lil vinegar, salt. Then add your honey. One of these days I’ll try to come up with an on point raw version!!!

• locustgirllocustgirl Raw Newbie

if you buy local honey you can get reassurance from the farmer. local honey also gives the benefit of helping with pollen allergy symptoms (for those who have that issue). if you don’t have any beekeepers in your area, i can personally vouch for this farm who has fabulous honey. all of it is raw except the “wild west” one. http://www.marshallshoney.com/

• I just wanted to note- if you opt to not use raw honey- “raw” agave or not- its not really raw. Like Yacon syrup- it has to be heated about 115 degrees to be produced- http://www.living-foods.com/articles/agave.html. Not trying to sound dogmatic- I just want to make sure everyone is informed properly.

Sara

I thought 118 – 120 degrees was when it isn’t raw? Whatever, I still feel good with the Madhava agave that is labeled “raw” and says “specially produced at temps below 115 F.” I also love honey. :)

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes, there is raw agave… well, the one I buy says not heated above 118F.