Raw in LA?

Hey there,

So, I’m just getting into the raw way of life, and I really want to do it right. I am in Los Angeles, and I’m just wondering if anyone can give me the names of some specialty stores where I’d be able to pick up a good amount of the things I’ll need for the raw lifestyle! Things like, the oils, agave juice, vinegars, fresh raw nuts, coconut juice/meat, certain spices… anything else! I’m excited and ready, but unprepared. Also, I’m very curious about nutmilk, but afraid I don’t have the means to make it myself – is it sold anywhere?

Any and all comments or suggestions are more than appreciated! Thanks so much!

Comments

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

lucky girl, souther california gives you so many options! you can buy prepared raw food at most whole foods stores and lassen’s in ventura. there are raw restaurants that sell ingredients too. i’d go to http://www.happycow.net/ and/or http://www.yelp.com and search away! you can always call raw restaurants near you to see if they have suggestions. good luck!

• Thanks so much, I really appreciate your suggestions! Great insight! I’ll be RAW yet! :)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

You are so lucky! There are dozens of raw restaurants in Los Angeles. www.welikeitraw.com used to have a map of the USA with all of the restaurants and raw businesses on it, but I can’t seem to find it. They’re all on there! They even sell Roxanne Klein’s pre made raw meals in Wholefoods in LA.

There may be raw coaches near you who could take to shopping to all the best spots. I think that would be well worth the money.

• HI NewbyRaw,

I am also living in LA with the hopes to becoming fully raw. What part of la are you residing in? I live on the Eastside in Echo Park. I would love to chat....I am on this adventure alone and it is always nice to have some friendly support.

Ciao, Stacey

• Hi NewbyRaw,

I live in Woodland Hills (San Fernando Valley), which is near the restaurant/store “Follow Your Heart”. They often carry ready made raw food from raw restaurants in LA. This worked for me when I first began eating raw and didn’t realize that making my own raw meals wouldn’t be that hard…just different. But it was an easy way to be introduced to raw meals. They also carry many raw uncooking ingredients. They can be a tad pricey for certain items, but they do carry some items which the Whole Foods by me does not, such as raw coconut butter.

Whole Foods is a good place to go. Trader Joe’s carries raw almond butter, and raw nuts,oils, some decent organic produce at great prices.

Also Vallerta (the Mexican supermarket) and Korean Market are great sources for cheaper produce (although not organic). The Korean Market even has kelp noodles and sea vegetables.

Another place I highly recommend our farmer’s markets. I used to religiously go to the farmer’s market in Calabasas on Saturdays or Encino on Sundays. There is a great organic producer farmer, named Jim, who is very friendly and offers good deals on fruit (especially riper fruit).

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-farm…

As for the nutmilk, I’ve seen it at Whole Foods, Trader’s, Follow Your Heart, but I doubt it’s raw.

Best of luck and enjoy raw in LA!