Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green smoothies--good or bad

2»

Comments

• I am a fan of food combining, and I find that keeping acid fruits together and sub-acid fruits together in a smoothie usually works quite well for me. i was experiencing that bloating feeling when I started green smoothies, and I think it was due to using too much fruit, and the wrong combination of fruits. According to food combining, you should never mix sweet fruits with acid or sub acid fruits, so I suggest not adding bananas and dates etc to smoothies for the first while you are using them (I've found that plantains work better for me than bananas, not sure why). Here is a great food combining chart:

http://www.alderbrooke.com/chart.htm

• I don't eat raw all of the time, but I've been increasing my percentage quite a bit...

I've found with the green smoothies (and fruit smoothies), you need to avoid any dairy/fats/oils/etc if you're having the smoothie for "cleansing" reasons. Anything like milk, yogurt, nuts, nut milks/butters, flaxseed added to the green/fruit smoothie will prevent it from passing fast enough through your system.

I also stick by the general rule to have one on an empty stomach (first thing in the morning is best), and not eat anything following the smoothie for about 30 minutes or so. (Not that I'm even hungry after the smoothie anyways...)

It's best to try to avoid dairy completely anyways (I realize this is a raw forum, but I saw a few mentions of dairy).

My favourite green smoothie is:

1/2 cup chopped kale

1 frozen banana

juice of 1 orange

1/4 cup crushed pineapple

1/2 tsp each vanilla extract and ground cinnamon

1/2 cup each crushed ice and cold water