Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

HELP!!! FACIAL HAIR...NOT COOL

Does anyone have any suggestions on elimanating facial hair? I am getting more hair on the sides of my face and then what happens is they turn into little ingrown hairs and then I’m tempted to poke at them. Please help!!!

Comments

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Is this something entirely new to your body? How old are you?

• Dain… I started noticing more hair about 1 year ago. I’m at the ripe old age of 45, I can’t believe that when I say my age. Where did the time go? You know we are only young for a minute or maybe a split second. Just not fair!!! Thanks, Sharon

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Yes,I know what you mean. The other down side for so many women is that by the time we understand the power of our beauty, it’s gone.

I’m close to 3 years ahead of you. You know we are getting about that age where the facial hair could be a sign that our hormones are slowing down. I had a friend who started going through menopause when she was around 47. She was still having her period but the first I heard her mention anything about menopause she told me she she was getting facial hair. I said, “Oh my god! I don’t want facial hair.” She said, “No kidding, just cause you don’t want it doesn’t mean you’re not going to get it.”

I don’t have a clue what else could cause facial hair except your hormone levels. When I start getting facial hair, I am going to wax my face every week. I say, go ahead sister and rip that s* out.

P.S. I like your earrings. I bead too. I haven’t had too much time in the past two years due to my health and business, but I am organizing my MASSIVE collection and beads and findings right now and hoping to get back on track soon. I just looked at your profile again – I make mineral makeup too. If you also like to paint, knit and crochet, we might be twins.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Dr. Christine Northrup believes increased facial hair on women is hormonally based. She has a book called The Wisdom of Menopause. I have seen her speak and really admire how she focuses on nutrition first before going to an allopathic options. Let there be more like her!!!!!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes, I heard it’s hormonally based too. Is it recommended to eat more estrogen-high foods? (I don’t know like what… but, I have a list somewhere in my library.)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Did you start taking any new medication or drug therapy of any kind last year?

• Sharronas…you’re still YOUNG! On raw time, you are definitely still young!!

• I’ve worked as a beauty therapist for years before I started homeschooling my daughter, and I must say that it is very,very common for women of your age group to start growing excess hair , my mum included. It ha something to do with the adrenal gland. Just whatever you do don’t pluck!! This will only increase it.

• msrawdivamsrawdiva Raw Newbie

well, what do you do to control it other than pluck? wax, maybe?

• I have done electrolysis on my facial hair and it’s gone now. It’s not expensive – and it’s permanent. Don’t use the home kit electrolysis though, it makes hair worse.

• Waxing is the same as plucking they both draw blood to the hair follicle and ‘feed’ it, electrolysis is the way to go or laser if you prefer-far better than the nasty medication they put you on which can make you really sick.

• msrawdivamsrawdiva Raw Newbie

i heard that electrolysis doesn’t work well with most grades of hair that us sistas have. something about the burning hair getting caught in the follicles is what i’ve heard.

i guess it’s time for more research on my end.

• I know this thread is really old, but I thought I'd revive it because I'd like some help! I have hair on my chin (and under my chin) that is thick and black, and I wax it. I want to know if anyone knows of a natural cure for this type of hair! I had cfs and fibromyalgia before, I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It started getting really bad when I was 18, I think, but I might have had it before then. I'm half Mexican, so would it be normal, considering my ethnicity? Could I have hormonal problems? Does anyone know of anything other than hair removal techniques that could help me reverse this?

• i got Linda Pages,Healthy healing ,12th edition in front of me.

"hormone imbalance in women"

1) high stress lifestyle depletes adrenal glands(adrenal exhaustion),which will affect/deplete hormones (Tulsi Tea is great )

2) environmental hormones to avoid or reduce exposure to :

hormone mimicking pollutants

hormones injected to food(meats n poultry,non-organic)

3)birth control pills

4)hormone replacement therapy

5)severe dieting

6)serious body building

7)surgery

8)long illness

9)nutrient deficiencies especially : protein

calcium

iodine

b vits

essential fatty acids(omega oils)

please look into /research info on hormones in water supplies , what gets taken out and what stays in water supply.

at risk of exposure to estrogen disruptors ?

1)living in hi agricultural area(chemical sprays /pesticide/insecticides(got to question non-organic fruits especially)

2)eating a hi fat diet

3)eating hormone injected dairy foods or meats regularly

4)prescription HRT or birth control pills

reducing exposure :

1) cut back on fat !! HORMONE DISRUPTORS ACCUMULATE IN BODY FAT !!

2) eat sea vegetables like wakame dulse nori regularly (spirulina or chlorella as tablets or powders,smoothies or juices)(for chemical removal)

3)avoid injected commercial meats , go organic where possible.(please consider priorities if cost is to be brought up)

this is just a piece of the puzzle ,hope this was slightly useful. happy healing , there is plenty more info if required , natural herbs and tinctures , superfoods , grasses etc

• I'm 31 and have dealt with facial hair all my life, my sister who is two years older had a problem that was much worse then mine but mine has still been a source of embarrassment for me since i was younger. I have shaved, i have waxed but now i let it be as my skin is more sensitive and reacts to waxing, and shaving leaves you with stubble. I went traveling through south east aisa last year and bless the forth right honesty but Oh my, embarrassing. Look at the hair on your face, it's so long... can i touch it? I wanted to crawl into a dark hole. An asian man sitting on a plane on a different occasion commented again, wow, you have a lot of facial hair. Can't you do something about that? LOL.

My sister who is darker then i am tried having laser work done but it didn't work, her hair wasn't dark enough. She's gone through 3 years of electrolysis going twice a week for an hour and spent tons of cash doing it, but it's worked for her. I tried going but my skin reacts to it and i get acne, about as embarrassing as the facial hair. So i've learned to accept it. But would love if someone had other answers. (electrolysis is also very painful and !! especially if you're against taking tylonol or ibuprofen, i wasn't at the time but now i would be)

Laser is a great option for people with dark hair and light skin, this is where laser is most effective. If you are fair skinned with light hair it, from what i know.. it doesn't work. If you have dark skin and dark hair, i think it works a little bit better but not completely.

Interested in experiences anyone else may have with hair removal, thank you. :)

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

as soon as i saw this post, i knew i had to put my 2 cents in. a few days ago, i was trimming my mustache haha i don't have a lot of hair, but it's black and i can notice it- nobody has mentioned it to me though. of course, i wasn't paying attention and i cut my lip with the scissors. it was so painful!!!! i have a slit on my top lip now and i've just been telling people that my cat scratched me.

i haven't tried waxing or professional hair removal because i'm cheap and figure that hair growth is only natural anyways. i just try to cut it when i notice it's getting darker and longer. i mean, i don't wanna look too manly!!

• I just wanted to add my experience.

I have hair on my chin, upper lip and side burns....

I first noticed it whenn I was about 16 when a friend went to grab what she thought was a loose hair and it was attached!!

I'm now 32 and since I was 18 I have spent huge amounts of money and time on electrolysis. Different types of electrolysis work in different ways. The plain electric current didn't work much at all for me (but it took me a long time to realise what a waste of time it was) and the type that creates a chemical reaction in the hair folicle worked well but has scarred my skin ( I had this done while I was in iceland and haven't found it anywhere since).

2 years ago I decided that I would try laser as my hair always grew back no matter how much electrolysis I had....I don't have a very darkly pigmented hair in relation to my skin so tried a few different places for their opinions. I was told I had to shave twice a day for 6 weeks and spray on a solution to help enhance the pigment in the folicle for the process to work. This was a little daunting and I felt a bit like a man, but at this point I was convinced it was my only solution.

To cut a long story short..The laser hasn't worked, my hair now grows back thicker, darker and more prolifically than before and I have given up trying to get rid of it. I wax and pluck when I feel too manly, ( I know this doesn't help the growth but other than letting it grow what else can I do)

I figure that I am as I am and I have to accept that and hopefully eating a cleaner raw diet my hormones or whatever it is that is causing this might regulate and allow my skin and hair growth to normalise.

It has taken me a long time to realise this is how I am, my family is full of hairy women and my hormones are quite likely very much out of whack, but the recent realisation that I can control and heal myself has allowed me some sense of calm when I picture the future, whether I can fix the hair or just accept it.

So many women out there have this problem and I'm wondering when we all became so intollerent of our bodies and their differences..we should all learn to accept variety and I am so impressed with women confident enough to leave their hair growth all natural.

I wish I had been able to read forums when I first started getting hair, I probably wouldn't have bothered with electrolysis, at the time I felt I was the only person out there with extra hair and felt very freakish...I was wrong on so many levels.

• squidgy... that was nice to read. i think you're the first person i've ever read/heard of having a similar experience to mine and it's nice to know i'm not the only one. thank you for sharing. I've also reached a point where i wax and pluck and am comfortable doing so. And have also accepted that i have "peach fuzz" as other people call it. who are being affectionate. :)

another note, it is better to wax then to pluck on the face. the women who did my electrolysis now does my waxing and this is what she has told me. The face is the only part of the body where the hair follicle will not be killed over years of waxing, as oppose to the legs or arms for example. She's told me the reasons why, there are more.. hmm.. i'm not remembering. more of something in the face, to protect it from damage. so when you pluck a hair, all of the cells come in to repair the damage done to the follicle and make it stronger. over time this plucked hair will become stronger (if on the face) if you wax the face, there is a broader amount of damage to the hair follicles being done at once. like waxing the upper lip for example. it's not possible for the cells to cover this whole area to repair the damage done... or in the same extent that plucking one hair (on a mole for example) would. i'm hoping that over time waxing will reduce the amount of hair. or they'll invent laser for fair skin, haired people. :)

• Hi Amanda.

Thanks for that about the plucking/waxing...I do try hard not to pluck, but I'm rather lazy when it comes to getting organised for a wax...sometimes it is just easier!

There are a few of us out there...The only person I have met personally that didn't bother to try to hide her hair was a girl hiking in Australia. She had the most fantasic patch of fair hair on her chin...It was awesome and it made me really consider what was important...Enjoying life and doing the things that are important to me...or spending all my time worrying just a little what was being said or the imaginary looks that I thought were being thrown my way.

I will probably always have a bit of a hang up....I don't like my husband touching my chin...or worse...brushing it the wrong way!!....but now I've written that I realise it is the next thing to confront!

And I will still be carrying wax with me as I cycle across Africa, though without a stove to heat it on I reckon it won't get much use....!

• I'm an electrologist and I can tell you it's the ONLY permanent form of hair removal. Laser CAN work, but ONLY on dark, anagen hair on light skin. So, no good for blonde or grey hair, or dark complexions. Also, if you shave, wax, or pluck, you are only increasing the hair growth. Once a 'virgin' hair has been cut oxygen is delivered more closely to the papilla which 'awakens' the follicle allowing the hair to grow deeper, stronger, thicker. If you wax or pluck, it strengthens the papilla in a similar way, allowing the hair follicle to grow deeper. Electrolysis kills all cells in the papilla. Hair grows in three stages, so several treatments are generally needed, but if you only use electrolysis and are very consistent with your treatments, you can be completely hairless before you know it.

There is new equipment out there which greatly reduces the pain of electrolysis. I use a Platinum machine (27 mHz) which is currently the best on the market, more powerful so treatment is quicker and virtually painless. Ask your electrologist what equipment they use, it will be either 13 mHz or 27 mHz. Also, make sure they do cataphoresis after treatment. It greatly reduces redness, swelling, and chance for infection, which is especially important on face treatments.

One way to save a little money on treatments is to try and find an electrology school near you. You can get work done for as little as $5 an hour by having students work on you.

• Update: I've lost 6 poundssssss people!!!!!!!!!

• woopsy. wrong thread lol....

but still...yay! haha

• dblvsgrgdblvsgrg Raw Newbie

Ok, I HAVE to comment on this one. I have struggled with dark, aggressive facial hair since I was 14 (I'm 49 now). I've never been far from the tweezers and magnifying mirror. Anyway, I'd noticed the hair seemed to be getting a little less and finer a couple months ago. Well, last month I had to be away from home for a week and (gasp!) forgot my mirror and tweezers and didn't have time to pick up new ones.

When I got home I pretty much ran to the front window with my mirror and tweezers...and found there was NO facial hair! Just a coupla thin, fine ones and they weren't even black!

I'm raw, almost 100% (I don't even have a stove or fridge). The only thing I've done differently in the past coupla months is I've added ALOT of raw goat milk. I'd never been able to find a farmer locally, and now that I have I drink a ton.

Now, I know this doesn't make any sense, and most of you are raw vegan (I guess I'm now a raw vegetarian) so I hope this doesn't offend. I also know that (along with heredity) excess facial hair is pretty much caused from a hormone imbalance. Maybe I'm just balanced out now.

I'm not saying raw goat milk will cure this (although it does cure alot of ills...I'm giving it to an aquaintance who has five different types of cancer and it is the only thing that makes him feel good), but I do know that for myself I'm free of facial hair for the first time in my life and I can't think what else may have contributed to it.

• Tumeric!!! I came across this by accident when I was finding about the health benifits of Tumeric, i was thrilled because i also suffer from facial hair, since going through menopause. ' AND IT WORKS' !! by slowing down the growth, but you must apply this mask regularly. I had one black hair on my chin which i would pluck and then it would grow back, now it seems to have disappeared. I have found if I use it twice a week my facial hair is gone for a longer and longer period.

Tumeric Face mask:- You will need -

1/4 teaspoon tumeric

1 tablespoon besan flour

milk (enough to make a paste)

1 tablespoon honey

Mix into a paste which will spread easily on your face, leave on for about 10 minutes. It will become hard but washes off easily in warm water.