Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

You NEED your grains!

RawsikiRawsiki Raw Newbie

How many of you are sick of hearing that we need grains with everything? The whole rule of=half a plate of veggies, 1/4 protein and 1/4 grains doesn’t always apply to us. Usually, veggies take up the whole plate! So, I was wondering, how many of you still eat grains with every meal (soaked rice, groats, buckwheat, etc.)? Do you think it is necessary?

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I think humans need to consume 50% of their diet in greens. The rest, a variety of veg/fruit. Before agricultural crops 10,000 years ago, humans probably never ate grains. I eat grains, but only 3-4 meals a week.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I don’t think they’re necessary. Even for kids. My mom won’t let me eat grains because we both know they aren’t digestible. They add no benefits in my opinion except the fact that children can’t get a complete protein from just nuts and other things without grains. To get around that, I drink a glass of Brewer’s yeast mixed with water 2-3 times a day, which is full of vitamins and nutrients and has a complete protein.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

Hm, yeah, I don’t think grains are necessary. That’s true about the protein thing, but there are ways around that and we get plenty without trying. i tried doing brewer’s yeast, but man, I just can’t stand the stuff! Even the smell makes me want to puke. Which sucks because i know how good it is for you.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

yep, sick to death of it! Even if I try to do raw alternatives, all I get is gas. Wheat should not be for consumption!

• Flax seeds kick grain butt! Flax has vitamin B, Omegas and fiber. Besides sprouted Quinua I eat no other grains.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I don’t eat grains. I eat sprouted buckwheat occasionally, technically a fruit.

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

i eat oat groats 5 times a year. other than that. nada

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

You can get almost all the vitamins and minerals you need from whole grains. I used to think I couldn’t eat/digest grains and was better off without them. Lately I have been eating sprouted grain tortillas (not raw) and feel better than when I was eating all raw with no grains. I want to learn to make raw versions of Manna Bread, because I used to LOVE the whole wheat one, then they stopped making that one, then I started eating raw so didn’t eat Manna Bread, but I have been missing something, and wheat kept coming to mind, so I started eating it again. The key for me is that it needs to be SPROUTED and no yeast (I have candida issues).

Oh, yeah – the reason for sprouting wheat/other grains is that the problem most people have with wheat/grains is the gluten, which is destroyed in the sprouting process.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i can understand some people’s like/need for them.

personally, i don’t find i need them. i was concerned about this when i first went raw last summer. i looked at the food pyramid (which is totally ridiculous by the way… why do processed sugars feature as a FOOD?) and noticed that all the things you were meant to get from your grains (complex carbs, fiber, minerals, vitamins) were found in greens.

but geez… harmful, poisonous? everything in moderation.

oh, greens are also a great source of protein according to “green for life”

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I’ve always been told grains are a great source of long-term energy, but I find all the fiber and minerals in the green smoothies do a pretty job, too. The hemp protein powder and chlorella I use as an add on help even more. :)

• I don’t eat any grains any more and don’t miss them at all…amazingly because I came from cooked vegan eating HUGE plates of brown rice, oats, millet etc

but my dietician at the hospital is trying to get me to eat them (cooked obviously). She has made it clear that she is humouring me for now, but will be working towards getting my diet more “flexible”!!!! Oh well, when she stops humouring me I will stop attending my appointments lol

pianissima – I did some research a while back on how the food pyramid was developed: they used the foods Americans were typically eating and then set up the pyramid with the amounts of each of these foods we would need to get the recommended amounts of certain nutrients and still not consume too many calories. The problem is that they don’t tell us that’s what they were doing; they just tell us to eat the things in the pyramid. The reason they don’t recommend more greens, nuts, etc. (even though they didn’t get enough vitamin E and some others) is that they say it wouldn’t be realistic – people don’t eat much of these foods! So, I wouldn’t worry too much about the food pyramid; it’s more important to make sure you’re getting what you really need, doing research and listening to your body/conscience to take what you need and apply it for yourself.

angie—thanks, that’s really interesting. i’ve also read that when the government researched fats they were going to release info suggesting animal fats were unnecessary and potentially harmful but the livestock lobbyists put a quick stop to it so they were forced to write something like “choose animal products low in saturated fat” rather than “avoid animal products.” (this is in “in defense of food” by pollan)

the politics of food have just overwhelming effects on how we think. now that i am writing “animal products” i shudder to consider eating them… but less than a year ago that would have seemed like totally normal “food”.

Yeah, I read something like that, too – crazy!

• Hmmm, here’s my opinion, greens, veggies and fruits are forms of carbohydrates. Grains are carbohydrates. Eat what you want, the rest of us will eat what we want and surprisingly, we will survive. I am with pianissima, all in moderation.

• yuck to all grains…well ok I like rice, but I don’t do wheat, oats, corn, etc. Even if I don’t have those things, there’s a possibility of other grain foods being contaminated by them because they’re processed in the same factory. I realized that was my issue once I went raw, because my digestion feels SO much better, and I ate super clean before too, avoiding all those things too. Not to mention I gain weight just thinking about food, and not having grains totally removed my insane cravings for tortilla chips and stuff (I coul finish off a 1lb bag of those things in 30 minutes no sweat…ew!)

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I made some sprouted rye raw manna bread a couple days ago. Next time I do it it’ll be without only rye, maybe mixed grains. Yes, it does cause gas! At least for me!

• I agree with angie, if sprouted grains are ok. The sprouting process makes them exteremely nutritious and much more digestable. I eat sprouted buckwheat and quinoa very often.