Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Potatoe? Raw?

If you soak a potatoe in olive oil and then dehydrate it…would it technically be a french frie or a chip.

Comments

• It would depend on how you cut it, right?

• Hey kool, welcome to this community. I think its great that at such a young age you are working on being healthier and eating as much raw food as possible.

As to soaking potatoes, I read somewhere that eating raw potatoes may not be a good idea as they are toxic, but sweet potatoes are edible. I would create a marinade….olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, maybe a flavor agent – garlic, onions and I would marinate the sweet potato wedges in the marinade for a while (4 hrs or 6 hrs or even overnight). After I would put them in the dehydrator or in my case oven at low temp and dehydrate them for 12 hrs or overnight. If you do try to make this let me know how it comes out. :) Peace, deasmiles :)

• There was a recipe on here for sweet potato chips in the dehydrator.I tried them..they are delicious if you slice them extremely thin. If you slice them too thick they do not get crunchy they get very chewy.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I did something similar. I sliced potatoes very thinly and put salt and olive oil on them and dehydrated them. They were OK. But I didn’t bother doing them again. I get my potato kick from eating avocado…in Detox delights by Shazzie the recipe for chips (fries) is an avocado, sliced into chips (fries) and covered with poppy seeds. This is reminisant of a real English style greasy chunky chip though, not a US style french fry.

• Terry, you’re probably referring to Kandace’s Spicy Yam Chips recipe. Yum!

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

one time i made sweet potato noodles and they really made me feel horrible. I would stick to daikon,radishes,turnips, and of course, fruit :)

• I tried the potatoe in the dehydrator…YUCK..stright to the trash! I wash thiking about jicama though and maybe if i soaked bites size chunks in water with lemon and salt…then tossed in olive oil and “fried potatoe seasoning…then dehydrate…maybe that would cure my potatoe cravings! Ill let you know if it works!

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

They have the potato cut up to make chips but it taste weird to me. I did try it. The sweet potato was better but I didn’t care too much for it. Most potatoes are toxic raw but not all of them and it is very few that are edible raw plus it taste horrible so why bother.

• koolieaidedkoolieaided Raw Newbie

thank you for the comments…I might try to make some spicy yam chips. If I come up with a good potatoe recipe, I’ll be sure to tell you about it. From what I hear(read) it’s good to marinade in some sort of pepper, garlic, olive oil thing. That sounds interesting. I think I might play the mad scientist and fool around a bit with the potatoe…see what I can come up with.

• I’ve heard many time that eating a large amount raw potatoes can kill you. They are part of the nightshade family and are poisonous unless they are denatured by cooking.

James

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

thats true, but sweet potatoes are part of the morning glory family and are not toxic. But white potatoes, red potatoes, etc are all very high in toxins. Also stay away from green tomatoes!

• What’s wrong with green tomatoes?

I knew that one should not eat potatoes or most beans. Is there a list somewhere of all the foods one should not eat raw?

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I just made some sea salt and vinegar potatoe chips. They turned out great. Recipe from Alissa Cohen’s “Living on Live Food: I made them really salty – the house smelled like English pub chips while they were dehydrating. I sliced mine in the spirlizer and than they get soaked in apple cider vinegar and than put on the dehydrator sheet and salted – really simple.

You definately need to add something to the potatoe before you dehydrated or it is super yuck.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

re-green tomatoes, I believe it is not a good idea because they aren’t ripe. Green peppers aren’t ripe either, only red, orange and yellow are, so it isn’t good to eat them.

• JoescJoesc Raw Master

Many green items are not ripe and is toxic raw. There are places you could research that information, you just research the fruits you like to eat. Many items that are not ripe are toxic and mostly because it is natures way of protecting itself.

As humananimal stated the potatoes in the nightshade family are toxic. Eggplant is in the nightshade family they contain solanine in it.

It was Alissa cohen’s recipe for the chips that I tried for the salt and vinegar chips and the sweet potato chips. The salt and vinegar potato still had a bitter taste and I didn’t like it. Mine was soaked in the salt and vinegar but my body doesn’t need all that starch.

• Hi all,

Zoe thank you for the idea of a potato chip sub with avocado covered in poppy seeds…I can’t stop thinking about it. They were out of avocados at the super market where I live but I will try this tomorrow, I am craving something salty, crunchy and creamy on the inside…and this will do the trick. Yummo!!!! thanks again :)

• koolieaidedkoolieaided Raw Newbie

I’m going to have to try that recipe. Are avocados in season?