Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Melons or just Watermelon?

I know that it is best to consume watermelons alone without combining it with any other foods, but does this also apply to other melons? I have a honeydew melon that I’ve been tempting to make a green smoothie out of, but if this food combining rule applies to all types of melons, I don’t want to end up with the bloated tummy aches!

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Comments

• juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

I have always believed, and felt, that watermelon is the only of the melons that this rule does not apply. It definitely applies to honey dew and cantaloupe, even more so in my opinion than watermelon. I am very strict about food combining and never give a second thought to combing fruit with watermelon, but never with cantaloupe or honeydew.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

o my gosh really?? I always that it was the opposite. I thought it was the watermelon that shouldn’t be mixed.

??

• I have to share… I’ve won over a few older relatives to raw foods due to…rockmelon! (cantaloupe) A few of them have had life-long issues with constipation/hard stools/slow digestion etc where the only thing the doctors say is ‘eat more all-bran’ and ‘take metamucil’ and ‘take these drugs’ none of which worked effectively.

I told my sceptical mum to eat a rockmelon for breakfast on an empty stomach (after an argument about how silly raw foodism is…). Fifteen minutes later I got the amazed phone call “wow! it really works!!”. Now all the ladies in her social group come up to me and “nudge nudge, wink wink” about their magical rockmelon breakfasts!!

I really believe that whatever enzyme etc is in these melons (that makes them race through your empty system like a freight train) is why they shouldn’t be combined. Other food just holds up the train, and makes you bloaty!

• I don’t pay the LEAST bit attention to food combining and I feel fine. Only worry about it if it makes you feel bad. If eating watermelon with something else makes you feel sick, by all means don’t do it, but don’t get caught up in other people’s dogma. It isn’t healthy for the mind!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I’m pretty sure it’s all melons! ...since all melons hold a lot of water.