Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

supplements and vitamins

Just curious what vitamins/supplments people take. Right now I am taking b12 only. What else is useful when you are 95% raw?

Comments

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

My question is, are they really neccessary in the raw foods diet?? I thought we get way more nutrition than non-raw eaters?

Despite this though, I take MSM but I ran out last week.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

I’m currently taking MSM, spirulina, and bee pollen for b-12. However, I wouldn’t think vitamin supplements to be necessary.

• I think superfoods are necessary, well not soo necessary but they make you feel way better. I take grapeseed flour, kelp and aloe juice now, but it always varies what I get in my hfs. Maybe bee pollen will be the next I include again. It’s such and energy buzz!

Vitamin tablets are NOT necessary. When I started to be vegetarian I had a lack of B12, I was soo nervous, tired and depressed. After being vegetarian for about 3 years and going raw I do not worry.

• blujett8blujett8 Raw Newbie

I really like Spirulina and Vitamineral Green, both from Healthforce Nutritionals. MSM with vit C is also working wonders for me.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I just take MSM. Btw, I was wondering the day other how much Vitamin C is needed to take with the MSM? I know MSM is supposed to work better with Vitamin C – anyone know if there is a certain max amount that you need to have or is any amount OK?

I want to make sure I am getting my optimal MSM absorption! :)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Oooo! Just found the answer to my own question on another website.

“It is recommended that you take at least 1/2 (one half) as much vitamin C as MSM. For example, if you are taking 2000mg of MSM you should take a minimum of 1000 mg of vitamin C.”

Awesome!

• thanks for that info queenfluff Ive been wondering that myself!

Anyway I take MSM, B Max Stress (for B12), and i just bought some aloe.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

If I had been eating 100% raw organic food from birth, I would expect that I whouldn’t need much (if any) in the way of supplements. Remember, though, that soils are becoming depleted – it is estimated that we now have to eat 5 times as much fruit, vegetables, grains, etc. to get the same nutrition as people got 100 years ago. That, combined with the refined (low-nutrient) diets most of us have eaten for years, lower levels of oxygen in the atmosphere, pesticides on our foods, etc. etc. etc. – I see no reason for a few supplements, at least for a while, and superfoods help fill some of those nutrient deficiencies, as well.

• raw chocoholicdoes bee pollen have B-12? I know that royal jelly does, never heard that the pollen did though.

Yes, bee pollen is a good source of B12. I love that pic, too! :D

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

bee pollen has b-complex, not b-12. that said, read the “protein” thread and the article humananimal posted. it’s REALLY interesting.

i don’t take any supplements (don’t believe in them) and i’m fine!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

oh, and spirulina is a food—or so i’ve heard—not a supplement. =)

Oh, pianissima, where did you hear that about bee pollen – I’ve just heard a lot that it has B12? Yeah, I read that article and found it fascinating, too. I have wondered about the B12 issue a lot :)