Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Almonds

Question Im in Argentina now and can buy almonds that are truly raw does anyone know how long i can safely store them in my fridge ? Also is the freezer a better option ? Thanks

Comments

• i dont know for how long but you can definitely put them in the freezer.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yes. You can freeze them. Besides, they have enzyme inhibitors to “survive the cold”; they will be fine.

How long? Well, at least a winters length long. hehe ...actually, I do not know. They could last longer in the freezer.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

spider7075: My information is that they will keep 6 months in the fridge, and 1 year in the freezer.

Keep nuts in the freezer is a good option for high oil content nuts like mac nuts, brazil nuts and pine nuts. You don’t need to keep almonds in the freezer, unless you’re sure you’re not going to use them for months.

Freezing nuts will cause a loss of food energy, perhaps about 25%? I’ve heard varying percentages of loss on this issue. But it’s worth it for the high oil content nuts, since they go rancid pretty quickly. :)

• Hi Spider, could you tellme where did you buy it? ( i'm from Argentina)

• According to whfoods.com, a great website about healthy food:

"Keeping them [almonds] cold will further protect them from rancidity and prolong their freshness. Refrigerated almonds will keep for several months, while if stored in the freezer, almonds can be kept for up to a year. Shelled almond pieces will become rancid more quickly than whole shelled almonds. Almonds still in the shell have the longest shelf life."