Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

paint strainer bags

I bought some paint strainer bags to use for nutmilk and juicing w/my vita-mix. today I made some green juice in my vita-mix & strained it with a paint strainer bag. I was wondering what is the proper way to clean nutmilk/paint strainer bags? Seems like no matter how much I rinsed and rinsed the bag I still seen some itty bitty particles?

I also wondered if anybody had any ideas on what to do with green juice pulp? Unfortunately, I don’t have a dehydrator yet.

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I boil my milk bags and soak them in a little hydrogen peroxide, then I put them out on the balcony for the sun to sterilize them. Good question about the pulp. I’ve seen uses for crackers by you don’t have a dehydrator. I don’t either, but I get along just fine with plates set on the radiator in wintertime, the oven on low (115

• do you boil and use hydrogen peroxide each use? thanks for that tip.

today I decided to take my pulp & mix it w/sunflower seeds, pepitas, braggs, olives, sundried tomatoes, pepper/salt & garlic and onion. I formed it into a pattie and ate it as a ‘burger’ .. it didnt need dehydrating.. it was really good!~

ohhh but i wish i at least had a radiator like you do carmentina!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

good thinking carmentina – i’ll try your sterilizing method.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I suppose you could mix the hydrogen peroxide into the boiling water, but I tend to do either or. Once I boil, once I soak – but everyday I put it out into the sunlight. Thanks for the burger idea. I guess it really depends what veggies you put into your juice. I usually put in an apple or pear, which it fear might make my burger too sweet. I really gotta try something, though, cuz it’s such a waste of good organic fiber!! That’s where the phytonutrients are (not that I know what that is!!! lol).

• bananaboybananaboy Raw Superstar

Why strain out all that great fibre at all? Such a waste. Green smoothies give you all the nutrients of the juice plus all the fibre broken down for easy digestion. Plus you don’t get the insulin rush from the quick absorption into the bloodstream of the sugars in the juice.

The whole food is always better than any fractionated food like juice.

• I make soup out of the pulp from my juicer. I just use some of the juice I made and put some Braggs into it and heat it to about 107 degrees. It is very filling and warms me up.

• suzeq; how do you heat it up? just on the stovetop? do you mix anything else besides braggs in with it? I’m wondering If chopping up some celery or red pepper or sprouted lentils would be good?

• FeeFee Raw Master

I use a piece of muslin fabric for straining my nut milks. When Ive finished I rinse it out and bung it in the washing machine with the next wash!

• michigan romanmichigan roman Raw Master

i just turn the bags inside out and wash / rinse in dish soap , then hang on clothes line to dry .

i use a big 3 gallon pot to fit the paint bag over so its real easy pouring the juice into .

and the pulp you could reblend in water to get more out of it , thusly to start off with use less greens . or maybe mix them into some type cashew or almond milk base to make like a spinach dip for vegis .

but unless im fasting i dont strain the juices .

• I saw a guy on youtube using a paint strainer bag (instead of a nut milk bag) and a blender to juice. Is there anything that's unsafe about using this vs the nut milk bag? Reebok Bags