Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

raw power!

Hi! I’m a 19 year old student from British Columbia. I’ve been on this site for half a year lurking, reading advice and finding sublime raw recipes. I thought I should introduce myself and maybe contribute some of the things I’ve learned in my raw journey so far.

I’ve been vegetarian all my life and for the past six months I’ve been eating about 80% raw. I had a 100% streak for a couple months there, which was nice, but I’m back to 80% now. I’d like to be 100%, but I’ve struggled with an eating disorder so I’m trying not to be too all-or-nothing in my thinking. An increase in fresh, raw, unprocessed plant food is a positive thing!

I think it’s a little taboo to talk about it, but I’ve read some raw foodists have dental problems. I feel like a bit of a traitor even when bringing it up, but I’ve noticed my gums have been receding lately. Also there is a mystery line going down one of my front teeth The only major change I’ve made is going raw. I had a very “anything goes, as long as it’s raw” attitude, which resulted in me eating way more dried or acidic fruits than I would have normally. I was so sad when I noticed how low my gums were because I felt like I had discovered my ideal diet in every other way. I suppose my gum trouble could be related to some other variable. Since I noticed I was showing more tooth than I’d like, I’ve gone back to eating some cooked food. I’ve also upped my intake of greens and sea vegetables. I don’t want to go back to eating cooked food but I was freaked. Anyone have advice on receding gums or keeping teeth healthy on a raw diet?

On the positive side, eating raw has practically cured my headaches. I’ve had very bad headaches since I was six, and I get them about twice a week. When I was eating 100% raw I had no headaches, barring the ones associated with PMS. That is completely amazing considering no drug I’ve ever taken as stopped my headaches.

Comments

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Welcome, pomegranate! I hadn’t heard about raw foods being linked with tooth problems. Where did you hear that? Either way, though, please do feel free to chat about the positives and negatives of your experience. That’s what Gone Raw is for!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

Make sure you are getting about 1 to 2 lbs of greens per day in smoothies, salads and especially juice. It might be a good idea for you to monitor your body’s pH (I have read acidity is linked to recession and other oral problems) by checking your first morning urine. I go acid very easy and really have to work to stay alkaline. I also tend to eat more raisins and dates than I should and when this batch of dates is gone, that’s it for a while! Norman Walker’s Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Juices has some very good recipes for specific ailments as do a few others. I have read a lot about this tooth issue and I am also concerned because I already have a good bit of recession. Matthew Monarch also addresses it in one of his books (Raw Success, I think)

• I too noticed my ‘monthly’ headache has vanished. Every month I’d get a headache the day before my period. Now they are gone! No med would work for me either. i love what raw food can do!

• kandace – Dental issues have been discussed in these articles: http://www.rawguru.com/dougteeth.html http://www.therawdivas.com/HHH/dental.html as well as on rawfoodtalk.com. I hadn’t heard about any dental problems either until I looked into it. I’m sure it’s not raw food causing it, but rather the types I’ve been eating… or not eating. I’m reckoning I need to be just as contentious about sugar and making sure I’m getting everything I need as I was while eating a vegetarian diet.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

It is my understanding that grinding and or gritting your teeth, esp. when sleeping causes gum recession… I’ve had recession almost all my life (61 yrs) and have only been raw since Oct.,07 I agree with deborahann to make sure you get the right foods into your body… Sleep easy!!!

• Oh jeez waterbaby, I’ve been a grinder all my life and now have tmd, have been trying stretching, pressure points and mouth guards and I am now on my way to helping it. Pomegranate, just remember being raw is similar to eating any other way, you still need to be sure you are getting enough nutrients to be healthy.

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

Too much acid and sugar will cause teeth problems. Too much acid = cooked foods, excess citrus fruits and excess fermented foods (sauerkraut, kombucha, etc). Too much sugar = excess high sugar fruits such as bananas, dates, raisins, dried figs, etc. Make sure to consume plenty of whole greens and fresh green juices!

V

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

cool that your headache vanished! great ideas on teeth everyone – i have nothing to contribute there. eating more greens and reading norman walker’s information seem like excellent suggestions, i second that.