Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Stinky buckwheat - what went wrong with sprouting?

WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

My buckwheat smells sour. I soaked for 30 min then sprouted it for three days in a strainer, rinsing every 6 hours. What went wrong?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Maybe just a bad batch. Sounds like what you did was fine… according to sproutpeople.com

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’m guessing I let it sprout too long. The sproutpeople reccommend only 28-40 hours of sprouting. Or I didn’t rinse it enough. Anyway, I’ll definately try it again!

• You must drain it really really well after rinsing. Shake it hard to get the water off as much as possible. Them fluff up the buckwheat with a clean fork to let the air circulate a bit, instead of having just one massive wet clump in the bottom of the colander. ** also, only soak the buckwheat initially for 30 minutes. It soaks up water super-fast. Happy sprouting!

• deborahanndeborahann Raw Newbie

HA! I almost made my hubby vomit once, mine got so bad. I only soak for 10 min and sprout 24 hr or just until they get little tails. We heat with a woodstove so it is usually very toasty in here and I always have trouble with buckwheat if I try to get them to green sprouts over a few days. So far I have been successful going 24 hrs and either drying or making breads or crackers. You def. rinsed enough. I even tried dousing mine in diluted peroxide rinses once every 24 hr and they still went bad.

• Gotta fluff ‘em up to let them breathe! I only let mine sprout for 24-36 hrs.

Great tips ya’ll! Thanks so much. I’ll give it another try, but only sprout for 24 hours to be safe.

• Buckwheat is simple once you know the key. We do it quite regularly at home. Soaking overnight is fine. So is sprouting beyond 2 days. The key is rinsing quite often after the initial soaking period. By often I mean every 30 minutes or so for about 4 hours. Let drain in between rinces. You need to rinse regularly till the rince water is clear and is no longer slimy. After that rinsing every 8 hours is good till desired shoot length. Never lost a batch using this method.

wow rawnutrition – i had no idea! Thank you SOO SO much for this information. i can’t wait to sprout – i’ll watch the buckwheat and wash it well for the first four hours. cool!