Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Question re: organic

jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Does organic automatically mean non-GMO? And if so, is that a hard & fast rule… I mean, does it have to be non-GMO to qualify as organic? I’m getting really paranoid about genetic f*ckery lately. Thanks!

Comments

• As far as I know, all GMO produce has a PLU (number on the sticker) that begins with an 8. Organic PLUs begin with a 9. I tried to find out on the USDA website if genetic modification precludes organic certification, but it was difficult for me to navigate.

I am fairly certain that GMO stuff has to be labeled as such, and I would assume that anything certified organic is necessarily not GMO. I’m sure someone here knows!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

While many markets use the PLU code system with 9 as the first digit to identify organic produce, it is my understanding that not all do so, The bigger issue is if something marked is organic can it also be GMO. While it isn’t suppose to be, you never know any more. It certainly all you can do to protect yourself by buying organic, but we are all starting to learn that the organic standard is being diluted. Furthermore, when companies violate those provisions, the US government doesn’t punish them accordingly. Many times Horizon milk has sold milk from conventional animals as organic and the fines levied against them doesn’t exceed the profit they made by defrauding the public.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Oh… that’s good to know about horizon milk. I rarely buy that brand as I have an organic source more locally, but I have bought it before. Grrrr… that makes me mad. If it says organic it SHOULD BE ORGANIC. Dammit.

• Organic food CANNOT be GMO (thank goodness!) The companies that sell GM produce/groceries do NOT have to label it as such. Yup, organic is the only way to go.

• Yes, by law organic can NOT be GMO!!! At least in Europe, but I think in the remaining part of the world it is the same too.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

Good to know, thanks!!

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

another thing i learned when i called whole foods. NOTHING in their store can be GMO. but they sell horizon milk… so… hm?

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

hey guys, i find this website helpful when double checking the rands i buy! http://www.organicconsumers.org/

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Thanks for the site, omshanti.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

Please be aware that in the United States companies are not required to identify GMO products as such on the label. Also be aware that organic farms CAN be contaminated by GMO farms. This is an incredibly complicated subject! Google it and be blown away by what we’re NOT hearing on the news.