Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw nuts

I am trying to go raw…but I’m getting really confused about which nuts are raw and which aren’t. Most of the raw websites which supply superfoods etc don’t supply nuts (except cashews). Can anybody recommend a place or brands I can buy that are definitely raw, that is, almonds, walnuts, pecans, macadamia, pine nuts. If I’m going to take the trouble to keep to raw and invest in the kitchen equipment, and the time and practice it takes to make raw food I do want to know I’m actually using raw ingredients! Can anyone help? I just want a website that sells raw nuts, or a brand name that I can buy in shops. I’m in the UK.

Comments

• Walnuts, pine nuts, hazelnuts are generally raw. So you don’t have to worry about them. For the others go to:

http://www.keimling.co.uk/.cms/Raw_nuts_macadam…

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Hi There, In addition to what flybaby says, We can get Spanish almonds that are raw at the Unicorn here in Manchester. Any shelled almonds nuts that aren’t American are fine, it’s just the American ones that have been pasteurised. If you buy in shell pecans, brazils and shell them yourself they are fine, it’s just the shelled ones. You can substitute any of the non raw items for raw ones, it can make a better recpie to make it all raw anyway. I use sunflower seeds and pine nuts instead of cashews, macadamias. Walnuts and hazelnuts instead of pecans. Everything tastes just fine. The secret is in the flavourings and the combinations of ingredients more that certain ingredients are essential. It is always very good to experiment in raw cooking anyway. The combinations of things that works are amazing, and such fun to discover by accident.

I think Shazzie sells really raw cashews at www.detoxyourworld.com

• What about pistachios??

• Some pistachios are baked… in venezuela people bake pistachios til the shell opens up and then they add salt…

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hmmm… i read that pistachios need to be baked because they have a fungus on them… i think you can buy raw pistachios online though…

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Most of the nuts mentioned in this thread are NOT raw, as the industry routinely heat-sterilizes the shells before shelling the nuts. Some nuts are also easier to shell after heating, so their is that, too. Pecans are almost always heated, as are hazelnuts and pistachios. Count in walnuts and definately Brazil nuts, too. I keep saying to people to please find the source and ask how they clean their nuts and not rely on the store as many many stores lie their socks off. A good place to trust, in my opinion, is the Living Tree Community, as they understand sterilization processes in nuts and clearly state which of their nuts are raw.

“Raw” in the nut industry mean ONLY that they are untoasted, NOT that they are unheated. Big difference.

• Hey Alix1962 and flybaby, thanks so much for those two websites, Living Tree Community and Keimling – very useful to have a place to order from where you know they are serious about sticking to raw principles. I’ll be ordering my stuff from there next time! Thanks Zoe for the ideas about substitutions. Not being a cook myself I don’t think I have the patience or the gift to be experimental like you though!