Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

maple syrup

is maple syrup technically “raw?” i read that it wasn’t

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

All products are not raw… If it is purchased in a jar, on a shelf, in a store….

Maple syrup begins as liquid sap from a maple tree, it is then poured from a bucket into a heating table where it is cooked and boiled down into a caramel colored hot liquid sugar. It is then drained into a Large vat until it is bottled extremely hot into the jar that is shipped to the store… Hope this help for future knowledge…

• SarahJSarahJ Raw Newbie

Sad but true. :)

• I’ve been thinking how great plain sap would be as a sweetener. I used to drink it out of the buckets when I was a kid.

• Check out this forum post on maple syrup http://www.goneraw.com/forums/2/topics/4530

• Thank you all for your replies. I was skeptical as to whether to use maple syrup in my recipes, and now I know not to. What do you think would be a good alternative?

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

if you’re not a vegan, then raw honey would work. Dates have a bit more flavor, but they’re a somewhat popular sweetener for desserts. It’s possible to purchase raw agave. There’s some debate as to how raw the raw agave is, but other folks can explain it better than i can.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

If you live in New England you could probably get it raw. I’d love to use raw maple syrup as well.

• Oh my yes, we used to go sugaring as a kid, you get the buckets and the sap is so yummy. If anyone knows where to get it, let us kjnow, I will look around. Date syrup is raw and can be made yourself by soaking dates overnight in enough liquid to cover them, then blending until extremely smooth. It’s excellent.