Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Newbie here, what basic things should I have?

Hi all! I’m Allie and completely new to the raw food lifestyle. That being said I’m not sure where to begin. So, I was wondering what basic items/foods/etc. should I have? What are some of your “go to” snacks that are easy to make? Any tips, suggestions, etc would be wonderful!

Oh! And if you have any book recs about the transition into raw that would be all kinds of awesome! I read The Raw Food Detox diet awhile ago, but I think I’m going to attempt it again…

Thank you guys :).

Comments

• Well I’m pretty new too, Getting close to a month but havent totally gotten the hang of it. I find obviously fresh fruit should always be kept on hand and big colorful salads. If your not to worried about calories nuts and almond butter are my favorite! I have just in the past few days found that I love frozen mango, its like a dessert and helps with a sweet tooth. So far I’ve used my blender like crazy, especially for green smoothies and soups and such. I actually don’t have a dehydrator… yet. but it seems that a lot of delicious looking recepies call for one. Hope this helps a little. I’m pretty new too but have been reading a TON of stuff.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

ants on a log, http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/1387-Dancing-Chi… (for the dancing chicken salad, don’t process the nuts until smooth – i enjoy them processed into small, still crunchy little pieces. enjoy it on apple slices. it’s heavenly!) http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/1064-falafel-bal… http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/66-Parsnip-Pine-...

• Raw ice cream. I am transitioning, too. For about half a year… and a big bowl of raw ice cream is great. I have all the equipment but find it easiest to make in a food processor. Frozen bananas with raw chocolate sauce or frozen strawberries with some coconut and agave…... delish! This helps me with the hunger thing… because I find myself freaking out if I get too hungry. I have had this the past couple days when I get home from work and then eat a big green salad later on… of course greens in any way you can get them down really help with cravings. Hmmm… and apple with cinnamon and sweetener and nuts… I wouldn’t worry too much about food combining in the beginning. Nuts and seeds hold hunger at bay. Otherwise snack on lots of finger food… carrot sticks, celery etc… Good luck!

• Welcome to Gone Raw ;) Im a newbie too. Is pretty easy to be raw in USA, Im from Venezuela and trying to be raw in here is quite a challenge, so I wish you luck there! ^^

• jsorensens2jsorensens2 Raw Jr. Superstar

I’m new too and I NEED to have crunch in my diet that’s not wet and cold, so for me I have to have Grawnola on hand! This is a great recipe … http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/688-Grawnola-

Also, I have to have premade almond milk, sweetened with dates on hand, to either pour on my grawnola, or to make into a yummy chocolate milk treat in the evening. (just add a 1/2 tsp carob powder to 12oz of milk).

Flax crackers are a must. Kandace’s Spicy Tortilla recipe is great to dehydrate all the way and make into chips. http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/11-Spicy-Tortilla

Then of course you have to have lots of fresh fruit. Frozen fruit for smoothies (from Costco) is handy, lots of salad fixins, and if you can grow your own sprouts. They’re easy, yummy and FULL of the max in nutrition. I put on my salads and even in my morning smoothies! www.sproutpeople.com. There’s a plug for you.

I’m still trying to figure out what I can’t do without, but that’s the basic for me to feel ready to go. Raw is not fast, so getting used to the amount of shopping and think ahead prepping is a tough one. It’s worth the effort though once you start feeling the health benefits!

• suzyqsuzyq Raw Newbie

Frozen fruit in general is a great trick, since it will preserve fruit a while longer. You can either buy “over-ripe” fruit at stores (they often discount it to move it off the shelves!) or, if you buy too much fruit and can’t eat it all, freeze the excess. My favorite is frozen grapes! They’re a really nice snack and the frozen texture is a lot more satisfying to me than grapes usually.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

oh how annoying. my entire post just got erased! =)

ok. what i said in a nutshell:

go to foods:

-fresh fruit (bananas, oranges, strawberries, whatever you like and is appealing… be adventurous!) -homemade salad dressing—have a good amount in the fridge so you can whip up a delicious salad in an instant. -LOTS of greens (for salads, sauces, green smoothies, and juices)

tools: (in order of importance to me) 1. shopping board & good knife 2. blender 3. julienne slicer (blackle it, it makes perfect noodles out of veggies… with no clean-up) 4. juicer (16 oz. juice every morning feeds the cells) 5. food processor 6. dehydrator

i didn’t have most of these when i first started, so use what you have and find out what YOU need. =)

p.s. best to freeze your own fruit. frozen fruit is usually blanched before freezing, so not raw.

• I love picking up some bags of frozen fruit throwing them into a blender and throwing in vanilla almond milk… my favorite random mid day snack.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

for dips/dressings: nuts, tahini, nut butters, sunflower seeds, HERBS (for salad dressing and salads), sesame seeds, veggies good for using in dips (cucumber, zucchini, etc)

crunchy veggies to go w/ dips – carrots, broccoli, celery, bell peppers

fresh fruits – whatever you’re in the mood for frozen fruits- bananas, and freeze your excess fresh fruits for smoothies

LOTS of greens for green smoothies, salads

• Smoothies = love