Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Question about cooked dinner

I’m wondering how many people out there eat a cooked vegan dinner? I find it easy to eat raw during the day, but dinner is tough, especially when I’m feeding my kids. I probably eat 2-3 cooked vegan meals a week, usually rice and veggies.

I guess what I’m wondering is, what has been your experience with that, both for practicality and digestion?

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I stress that everyone is different, and not everyone has extreme digestive problems like I do. In my particular case, I’m 99% raw (I use occasional raw spices and have a weekly beer). I never eat cooked food, because if i do, my digestion goes out of whack and i’m hitting the porcelain throne too often. Sorry, TMI - I just wanted to clarify that cooked food is extremely hard on my system. Even 1 cup of cooked food sends my body over the edge. This is my 5th week raw. Before going raw, cooked food did this to me every day for 7-10 years (and i’m only 25 – i’ve pretty much never been able to handle cooked food!!!). so it’s fabulous eating raw because now i feel cured (not to mention a host of other infections/afflictions that are gone in just 5 weeks raw!)

• i find that being high raw (80-90%) is what best fits my lifestyle. i do still drink beer, but other than that, only about 2 or 3 of my meals every week will have some sort of cooked aspect… for instance, the other night i had large salad for dinner – which was all raw, but i heated up a vegan chicken patty and sliced it on top of my salad. so even though it wasn’t a raw meal, it was for the most part. i do my best not to make excuses – if i can eat raw that night, even though cooked vegan might be easier, i take the time to eat raw. i’ve learned to stay about 85% raw and now i don’t beat myself up with occasional steamed veggie or such.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

Like you skinnoz I have about 2-3 cooked vegan meals a week.. usually brown rice pasta with some sort of vegetable marinara or a cheeseless veggie pizza. My digestigation is just fine, I use the smooth move tea if there’s an issue. I do it for practicality.. my husband is not raw but a vegetarian so during the week we sort of fend for ourselves but on weekends I like to share meals with him. He’ll eat some raw.. but likes to cook on the weekends and wouldn’t be into making a raw meal.

• i eat a cooked vegan dinner about 5 nights a week, depending on how i’m feeling. i usually go to yoga after work and find that i feel best when i get in some lentils or beans as protein afterwards. i don’t eat anything non-raw during the day other than that meal, and i find i can’t eat very much cooked food anymore anyways, so a cup of lentil chili or some veggie soup are usually all i need.

i’m sure that over time i will phase it out, but for now it seems to make my body happy and hasn’t derailed any of the raw benefits that i have been feeling.

• jenergyjenergy Raw Newbie

I usually eat a cooked dinner, too. Beans, or steamed veggies and a sweet potato, something simple like that.

• I too save my cooked food for the evening.As being newly raw (about 6 months), it seems that my body kicks into cooked mode about dinner time. I also save cooked for that time, because when I eat cooked food, my energy levels go down quite a bit, so I figure if I’m going to eat cooked, it might as well be in the evening when my body is trying to slow down anyway. I do try to make my last meal a few hours before bedtime, so I can have an empty tummy to sleep.When I do eat cooked, it is usually a cooked grain, a steamed veggie, or some beans. Sometimes I’ll get hungry for a slice of sprouted bread.I also noticed that My appetite has gone way down. Sometimes I can’t eat more that 1 cup of food at a sitting. Even when I was cooked, that was the case. Pretty frustrating, when you have such delicious food in front of you!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Usually I will have 1 cooked meal a week, but only if I feel like it, or I am stuck in a situation where i can’t do raw.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Winona – I am like you. Just can’t handle cooked food, physically or emotionally.

• Yup….many cooked dinners here, some not vegan or veg