Olives and Beets

Question: Are things that are pickled, or jarred, such as kalamata olives, or beets – considered raw? .. Because I’m obsessed with both, and I really hope they are :)

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

it’s not the fact that they are pickled or jarred that makes them raw/not raw. it is pasteurization, and cooking that makes them not raw.

olives bought in farmer’s markets in southern europe are totally raw. (i asked). they are picked, then steeped in brine… a lot of the jars of olives here in the states say “pasteurized” on them. those aren’t raw. ALSO, those steeped in vinegar are steeped in pasteurized vinegar. i get the oil cured ones.

the tip off to see if pickled beets are raw is whether they are soft. if so, they have been boiled considerably. beets are super hard veggies and don’t soften with soaking, as say, a raw cucumber pickle would. so, pickled things can be raw, but i doubt those beets are.

hope that helps.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I went to the Whole Foods in Austin, TX and happened to run into the olive guy when I was looking for someone to ask about olives. He gave me a list of those that were. So, they can be found. There were quite a few. He actually checked with the vendor. Pickling beets yourself wouldn’t be too difficult. I dress them and eat them right away, they taste the same. I use vinegar, agave and a little salt and pepper. YOu could marinate them for a day or two and get the same taste.

• tdgtdg Raw Newbie

Can you post the brands and types of olives that he said were raw? I am going to Whole Foods in Albq next week and would love to get some!! Thanks!