Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Store-bought refrigerated salsa

Is the salsa you can buy in the refrigerated area of the produce section of the grocery store pasteurized or not raw in any other way? I know to stay away from the “roasted” ones, obviously, but are the other ones raw? They generally come in little clear plastic containers.

Thanks – sorry if this is a stupid question!

Michele

Comments

• i’m pretty sure those are mostly raw, although you should check the ingredients… some will have added sugars and other yuckiness.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

no shame in asking the store. but yeah, if they make it in house, i doubt they have a pasteurizer (word?) in the back. good idea to read ingredients too though. anything marked as “salt” would probably not be raw salt.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I think it’s easier and tastier to make your own. BUT I do believe it is raw. If you buy the same type my roommate buys. :)

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

they’re probably raw, but they’ve probably lost a lot of their nutritional value by sitting in a jar exposed to light for long periods of time.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I make my own raw salsa. I was actually planning to post it with my No Corn Chips recipe in the next week.

• geniusrawmodel23geniusrawmodel23 Raw Newbie

oh, yes, please do!!!!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

definitely not raw…everything, and i mean EVERYTHING in a can or glass bottle in a grocery store (exception: raw apple cider vinegar, high ph) has been pasteurized to kill clostridium botulinum spores.

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I would think that it has a preservative added.

• Like Elizabethh said. I am fairly certain it’s not raw. Usually salsa in the store is made from tomatoes that came out of a can. You can usually tell by the taste. But I would also agree that if it wasn’t it is more than definitely pasteurized. It is really easy to make your own. Right now tomatoes aren’t in season so your salsa will taste better if you use cherry tomatoes then add some garlic and cilantro and some chipotle or jalapeno, whir in the food processor and throw some finely chopped onion, salt and pepper and you are ready to go.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

You’d probably have better luck buying salsa that is labeled pico, as that shouldn’t be cooked (but who knows unless you know the company). Luckily, there area a ton of quick raw salsa recipes here and it is easy to make your own (you could whip some up 15 minutes or so). Here are links to some:

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I would find out from the store/company. We have a couple of places locally that make good fresh pico and salsa, and I love it since I am busy being a mom and going to school – less time I have to spend in the kitchen and I can still eat great!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

rawkidchef—post, post!!!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Ok, glad you want me to post the recip!!! May take some time as I am a little busy lately. But some time you will get some amazing recipes out.

• I actually did some research to try and answer my own question and ran across something called “High Hydrostatic Pressure Processing” and read on another website that refrigerated salsas are preserved this way, along with a lot of different foods, both solid and liquid. Check out this fact sheet…

http://ohioline.osu.edu/fse-fact/0001.html

I had never heard of this until I started wondering about those refrigerated salsas, which Jennifer Cornbleet recommends for something easy to purchase if you are traveling. I do generally make my own fresh salsa, but being able to purchase some when I am away from home would be a time saver indeed and help keep me raw! I would imagine refrigerated pico de gallo would be preserved with HHP also.

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions!