Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Food Pyramid- 15% fruit or less?

WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

There’s been some talk about how much fruit to include in the raw foods diet. What do you think of this video?

Brian and Anna Maria Clement (Hippocrates Health Institute director) on fruits, sprouts and weeds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY9ipBOwRP8&feat…

In summary – -

Clements recommend a diet consisting of: 15% or less, fruit

The rest of the diet: sprouts, weeds, greens, and vegetables.

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I didn’t have any idea at to the percentage but have tried to always use less fruits… While trying to follow “Fit for Life” food combining, worry about my “all fruit” first meal of the day… I put one oranger or a cucumber in my very green smoothie for the second meal, in effort to keep the sugar intake down… Any advise would be greatly appreciated…

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Through experimentation with my body, I do feel like I feel better overall on low fruit.

I love greens.

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Personally, I like the raw pyramid Brendan Brazier made. It’s 45% fibrous vegetables, 20% fruit, 20% legumes/seeds/pseudograins, 10% fat, and 5% starch. It seems nice and balanced to me.

In reality though I eat too much fat, but this is what I’m aiming for. Of course, that considers cucumbers and tomatoes to be fruits aswell.

waterbaby, what are the Fit For Life food combining rules?

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

Sorry, i can’t listen to the video right now (so please if someone can tell me just the most important i’ll be very grateful).

I like fruit but not very very much, so I eat some everyday, but a prefer to eat salads, and I always add sprouts. I’m just new to raw… but at the very moment I feel very good when I eat sprouts (I have not too many seeds yet, so usually are: mung beans, lentils, garbanzos, alfalfa), they seem to have a lot of energy. I will like to grow more green sprouts and see what happen.

So, I have really no idea of what is better, I know some peple say that we are fruitarians, but I feel much better eating salads… (I eat tomatos and avocados too, which are supposed to be fruits, I don’t know if Brian and Anna Maria Clement will count them as fruits or vegs…).

• I think it’s an individual thing…I like both but I digest fruit way easier than veggies…so I tend to eat fruit during the day and then dinner is vegetables. I do make sure the fruit is usually one type at a time or in a smoothie with spinach and coconut oil so I don’t get blood sugar issues though.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i do the same as lizk- i like greens and fruit during the day. veggies, fats and starches at night.

but i LOVE fruit.

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

i agree as well, fruits primarily in the am- often times in green smoothies, pm is for more greens, vegies, nuts, seeds, fats.

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

In January my husband and I started exploring a raw food lifestyle. So I’ve been doing a lot of reading, so far Victoria Boutenko, Brian Clement, Carol Alt, and Dr. Douglas Graham. I have a lot more to work through and read still, but so far what seems to sit best for me is lots of fruits, in smoothies, and salads and I stick with seeds/nuts/fats in the p.m. I’ve never had blood sugar issues and I am not looking to lose weight so the biggests reasons to avoid fruit don’t apply to me. I know that getting enough calories into me without fruit would only be possible with high amounts of fat and I don’t think that is a good option.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Hi AKAAuburnEyes, It seems that all the folks you mentioned have somewhat different opinions on percentages in a raw food diet. I agree that it’s better to eat fruit, because without it, i would also need lots of fat to get enough calories – and I agree that high fat is not good.

Brian and Anna Clement come from the perspective of healing folks who have serious illnesses, folks who went to the Hippocrates institute to rid themselves of weight, cancer, diabetes, etc.

• I have to say I think fruit is one of the most perfect foods, its nutritional structure is very complex and works well with the complexity of the human body. I was cured on a banana and coconut diet and saw lots of other people with cancer, arthritis, and lots of other serious illnesses cured on this simple diet at a health farm in India which had been running for decades. If I could psychologically live on just fruit with some coconut, that’s what I’d do. I honestly think fruit is more ‘superfood’ than any of the superfoods promoted by raw food gurus.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Raw_Chocoholic- Sorry I missed your question 2 days ago about “Fit For Life” food combining… The part that I follow is- Eat only fruits between 4 am and noon, then veges and nut or seeds 12 pm thru 8 pm and nothing to eat between 8 pm and 4 am. I don’t always make it 8-4 without something, usually about 10 pm or so, it seems I have the “I wants”... LOL The book has more info about meats and digestive juices and sleep that go along with it… Other than the sleep aspect, I didn’t feel it was appropriate as we are all VEGANS right??? I know I am… Will be glad to share more if needed, just let me know…

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Yeah, all the people mentioned by AKAAuburneyes have different opinions, but the Clements are not the only ones whose methods work for curing serious illnesses – everyone is different. I believe that it is important to read different opinions and do what feels best to you.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Thanks Red Earth, waterbaby, and angie. It sounds like I should do what works best for me. It’s good to know what your personal experiences are. Thanks ya’ll!

• Red Earth, I’m very interested in what you have to say about being cured on a banana and coconut diet. The food that seems to appeal most to me these days is coconut (fresh young) and I eat bananas almost daily. (I also love cashews and kale and flax seeds)

what I’m trying to say is, how did you land on banana and coconut and what did they do for you? I find myself craving them daily – especially coconut. I cant get enough of it.

So I’m wondering what possible health issue this could map to.

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

red earth, i’d like to know more about the coconut and banana diet too. thank you!