Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Do you shave pits/legs?

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Just curious. I stopped doing it a few months ago because my skin is sensitive and gets all itchy after shaving. But I doubt I’ll ever go on a date again because just about everyone is grossed out by a girl having armpit and leg hair. /shrug.

Comments

• i dont shave that much in the winter..i have a friend i met while in HI who doesnt shave.. she doesnt skip a beat.. noone cares.. she is blond though.. so it isnt as noticeable. hey, my thought on it is.. find a someone who likes you for you and is ok about how you want to live your life.. if you are a natural kinda girl, then you need to find someone who can appreciate that.. you dont want to put on a front for some one and then “change” when you two get comfortable.. that isnt fair to either of you guys.. so be who you wanna be first and let the love of your life fit into that.. good luck…

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

I still shave my legs. My kids freak when they feel all prickly. Funny I could never stand prickly hair on my Mom when I was a kid either. ( maybe we are supposed to feel soft? ) but since going raw I don’t grow armpit hair anymore. No Lie. Weird right? I’m not complaining though. And all my hormones are normal btw. Just had a full panel done.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

waxing is the best for me. low maintenance.

• spiritedmamaspiritedmama Raw Newbie

I haven’t shaved my pits or legs in almost 2 years. You’d be surprised how many people DON’T notice. The biggest hurdle for me was getting over it MYSELF. Nobody else has ever commented on it, gave me weird looks, etc. I wear shorts and sleeveless shirts all summer long!

• TzefiraTzefira Raw Newbie

last summer i quit shaving pits/legs… it was a nice break.. but come august here in Fl it got real HOT so i started shaing again. Come to think of it i barely shaved this winter to… my hair grows slow since being Raw…........... My husband loved it… lol

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

The more you shave the more coarse your hairs will grow back. I remember before I shaved the first time my hairs on my legs were soft and not course but I was pale and they were relatively noticable and I was at that age were girls start shaving their legs so I started doing it (plus for some reason I wanted use that cool looking foamy stuff that was supposed to smell nice on my legs – I can’t remember what the brand was at the time – this was back in the 80s). But after I shaved the first time, the hairs grew back alot coarser and it gets itchy when I don’t shave after a while. Plus it is noticeable since my skin is light and the hair is darker.

I only shave if I think people are going to see it and I have to look nice. Otherwise, esp in the winter, I just let it grow.

• A few years back I started getting laser hair removal done. It has taken a while but is pretty effective. Pretty soon I will be completely hair free, although I try not to think about any potential consequences of zapping my skin and hair with a laser!

• I haven’t shaved in years. What freedom! I have very few leg hairs and what I do have is soft. I think it’s because I don’t shave. My husband doesn’t mind either way.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Wow, Marichiesa, you don’t grow armpit hair at ALL anymore?! That would be awesome.

Renoir, I’ve heard that electrolysis is more effective than laser hair removal, and the only permanent hair removal. I’ve been wanting to get it done on my underarms and legs so I never have to shave again! :D

• rachel – A friend of mine had electrolysis and hated it. It didn’t work at all for her. I guessd different things work for different people :)

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Renoir – wow, really? I’ve never actually met anyone who’s had electrolysis before… Maybe I should just stick to shaving, because I’ve also heard that electrolysis can be painful, time-consuming, and leave scars. :/

• i stopped shaving years ago… ya know how men’s legs are hairless where their socks rub? that same bit of magic works for women! knee socks work wonders, and my grandmother told me that. she never shaved and had no leg hair because she wore knee socks as much as possible. i’ve never really had much armpit hair, so i couldn’t say how being raw affects that.

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

waxing and lasering works for me!

• alpdesignsalpdesigns Raw Newbie

I don’t shave when no one sees it, winter, but if I were to wear a tank top or shorts, you bet I would shave! Vanity has returned since my health has improved! I want to look as good as I feel.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I stopped shaving years ago. I’ve never regretted it. I was raised being told that only “unclean” women didn’t shave their legs and pits, lol, too bad, they can kiss my hairy white butt:-)

• worleyhimself2worleyhimself2 Raw Newbie

nope

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

worley – :D

• I go on an off. Generally in the winter i don’t.. but this winter i had a.. uh.. “significant other” so i shaved for the most part. In the summer I have a hard time being as free as i let myself be in the winter. i’d love to not shave at all. i don’t think i will when i move away to japan for a year and know no one.

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

yeah I always shave. Everything. I just feel weird with body hair. It grosses me out or something.

• When I first started talking to my husband, I let him know I was a tree hugger, and his first question was whether or not I shaved. I let him know I was a tree hugger, not a trucker. I have to shave. I am dark italian and raw or sad, I grow thick, braidable, disgusting hair that is noticeable from 5 miles. I shave and im proud ;P

• roxiroxi Raw Newbie

lol…harmonylia that’s funny “I was a tree hugger, not a trucker” !! :D

• I was just thinking whether to shave or not, cuz I have very light( blond) hair on my legs and arms. However since last summer the ones on my leg got really long, so maybe I should do somethnig.

• flybaby don’t do it! I’m envious of anyone that doesn’t shave. I do feel better when I shave my legs. My pits are sad little excuses for a place that wants to grow hair, so if i don’t shave those i look EXCEPTIONALLY cool sportin’ about nine hairs in each pit- so awesome.

harmonylia, i have to say your comment also made me laugh. :]

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

......Not a Trucker!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. BTW I forgot to mention that at the same time that my pits became hair free a super pretty WHISKER started to grow sporadically from my chin. I pluck it. Never leave home without my tweezer. Hard to feel like a smokin biscuit with a beard.

• Well ladies, I for one am off to have the full leg wax today. I used to shave (so much cheaper), but got really tired of doing it every couple of days. Just another thing to do in the morning routine. I wish I didn’t care about leg and underarm hair, but sadly remain brainwashed.

• heehee, love this topic. well, i quit shaving my pits last summer when i began my dreadloc journey. the legs get shaved maybe every couple of months, more or less. dreadlocing my hair and not shaving my pits feels good. my armpits always looked so weird after shaving them and i love the tuft of hair that’s formed. my teen son thinks is effin disgusting tho…and my husband is excited it about it. no really, he’s excited. hairy armpits is very PJ Harvy’ish. LOL.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

This is interesting coz last night I saw a documentary where there was a woman with a full mustache and beard. She was so comfortable with herself and happily confident. It was amazing to see. There’s another woman who’s in a USA indy band – don’t know their name, she’s also got a little beard. It is so cool to see this, and liberating!!

Personally, after years of no shaving I now do. I have started to enjoy the ritual of shaving etc so I do it. It isn’t about what other people think, like others say, no-one notices either way really. It is more for me to feel like a gorgeous goddess, I like to fuss over myself a little nowadays…I even have a waxing machine thing that I am too scared to use !!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I have gone both ways. I sweat in the pits a lot so I have to shave in order to decrease the moisture. Legs I do once in a while if I feel like it. I guess it is also seasonal for me. My husband does not care either way.

I personally do not like the way freshly shaven legs feel. So naked.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

why do girls have to shave, and guys don’t? is it just a fashion thing – cause fashions change. In 50 years, maybe guys will shave and girls won’t. Just like 100 years ago, when men wore nylons and tight capri pants. Yum!

• I shave my legs about once a week and my pits whenever they need it. My legs have very fine blonde hair that grows quite slowly, so I don’t worry much about it. I have considered waxing however because it only took about 2 packages (4-6 uses) of at home waxing kits to provide a maintenance free permanent brazilian. Even after 1 waxing what grew back was blonder and finer.