How do you sun-dry?

Hi, it’s hot and sunny here already and I’d love to make sun-dried tomatoes and crackers/bread. Does anyone know a inexpensive way to dry outside but keep the buggers and most of the dust off? Thanks!

Comments

• i sundry lots of garden produce. i use cookie sheets covered w/ window screening on an old fold out table in the yard. it doesn’t take long. i slice & set out in the morning and by afternoon or early evening it’s done!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

You can also use cheesecloth over a frame if you don’t have the screen, or if you have little fruit flies that get through the holes in the screen.

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

You don’t want window screens. The metal could be toxic.

I think the best way to do this would be to build a box out of metal screening to keep out the insects, with notches for racks. Build cheesecloth or nylon mesh trays to put on the racks. Put the racks inside the box. In other words, imitate the Excalibur dehydrator, but just use screens on the outside instead of plastic.

Air will circulate through the screens but pests will not be able to get in. Some people put aluminum foil in the bottom of the box to reflect the sun/increase the heat.