Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Calorie calculator

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I need a reliable cal calculator, bad. Can someone recommend one??

Comments

• roxiroxi Raw Newbie

If you go to Resources & Tools and then to Food Database. You will probably only need the section with the nuts, seeds, fruits, and veggies. Funny how this is only one small section for these, but about 15 there sections of foods.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i’m curious cuz i always see this mentioned: why would one use a calorie counter?

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Pianissima – for me it’s because I’ve reached a point of feeling out of control with food, even raw foods, and I need a way to tell if I am getting enough calories or not. I have a disconnection between my mind and body right now and my mind is telling me one thing, and my body is telling me another and to sum it up, I don’t know who to trust, so I need some guidance.

I was actually about to make a thread regarding my food struggle since I am seeking advice.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I checked out the calorie counter from that link – kind of fun.

• roxiroxi Raw Newbie

lol, I know. When I found it I started checking out all kinds of foods I used to eat and also things like bananas, apples, etc. It’s really neat how they break it down by size and such. Very helpful if you want to make sure you are getting enough calories each day.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I use one about once a week – to make sure that I’m eating enough veg/fruit and not getting too many calories from nuts. i find that i have to keep adjusting my diet once i’m aware of the calorie intake. of course, i’m new to raw, so i’m not restricting myself too much – just little changes, here and there.

• fitday.com is good.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

I use thedailyplate.com. You can search for foods, add recipes, and keep a journal daily of calories, exercise, and how you feel in general. Another one I use to calculate my recipes is http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/ haha I did that too – figured up what I used to eat. No wonder I was what I was! I was getting like 6x sodium and over 3000 cals a day! Not to mention my cholesterol – holy cow… Anyway, I hope this helps.

• do you have to count calories? in the book raw detox diet she said that the point is you dont need to count them anymore, as long as raw..no?

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

heyitsmahsa – true for me!

• suzyqsuzyq Raw Newbie

There’s a free program you can download called CRON-O-Meter (CRON is for calorie restriction with optimal nutrition—those people who think you can live forever by restricting calories). But you don’t have to buy into the CRON approach to appreciate the software. It has a nice graphical presentation of nutrient balance, and it’s flexible and will let you adjust your nutrient goals. Plus, since it runs on your computer, it’s quicker than some of the sites online (and it uses the same databases they do, so it pretty much has the same foods). Oh, and did I mention it’s free? You can download it here http://spaz.ca/cronometer/

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Heyitsmahsa: “do you have to count calories? in the book raw detox diet she said that the point is you dont need to count them anymore, as long as raw..no?”

I actually would like to hear more about this mindset. I believe counting calories and being paranoid about what I’m eating is a throwback to my SAD days. I don’t want to be this way anymore; I definitely would like to feel that as long as its raw I don’t have to keep track.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

“I actually would like to hear more about this mindset. I believe counting calories and being paranoid about what I

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I count calories maybe once every month or two months, just to get a general idea of where I’m at, since my diet is ever-evolving. I don’t get religious about it, though. :)