Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

2 questions

1. How do I know if the wild rice I bought at the health food store is truly raw?

2. Alissa Cohen is selling what she claims to be truly raw rolled oats on her website. I was told by a guy at the health food store that this would be impossible because they would crumble while being rolled. Anyone know the truth?

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

1. i’m pretty sure it’s not and that no (wild) rice is. it’s steamed.

2. ???

• Humm well then this creates a new question check this site out they claim it is raw. http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/store2/produ…

• OH let me read it again I may have misread.

• Yes you are right. It is. I think maybe I just assumed it was cause it was a raw website.

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

I believe what Alyssa sells are oat flakes “they are freshly ground from whole oats in small batches.” I haven’t ordered them, but I would think they would indeed be quite small and crumbled.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

From what I’ve read, wild rice is never raw. If you try to sprout it, the grain will split, and some people think it’s sprouting, but it’s actually not sprouting at all.

As far as oats go, I’m not sure. I was a retreat at Tree of Life a couple years ago, and Gabriel Cousens said there’s no such thing as raw oats. So if this is true, and oat groats have been steamed, then it follows that rolled oats are not raw, either. :)

• Wild rice can be raw, but it will be green, not black. I bought some from Eden Organics online and it smells like green tea, it’s great!

• There is definitely such a thing as truly raw oat groats, I’ve sprouted them myself. I bought a whole bag at my local wholefoods store and they sprouted very well. Not sure if this is applicable in America though.

If in doubt, try and sprout!

If they do indeed steam the oats groats, but they sprout, then in my opinion they are still raw and live!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Maybe they do not crumble if they are rolled when they have been germinated/soaked.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I got some “really raw” oats from www.rawliving.eu and they were really raw…they went rancid after a month and normal oats never ever go off! They were flat and small, they were different from the oats I used to remember, they didn’t go as soft, but I just soaked them in warm water not boiling water or soya milk like I used to. I think the really raw oats are best used as a pastry ingredient not as porridge. In Naked Chocolate there’s a recipe for chocolate tarts, the pasrty is excellent – raw oats+ apricots, very nice ;)

Finely processed cauiflower is actually a pretty decent rice substitution, I use it in curries.

Wild rice isn’t even wild, it’s all farmed, how do they get away with that?!