Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Toddler Travel

My 18 month old and I are going to be traveling by air in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know of any toddler friendly snacks that I could prepare for us? The only equipment I have are a food processor and a blender. I don’t know how to make crackers or rolled fruit snacks any other way. The flight will be five hours, and she has become extremely demanding in the last month or so… (wooooo saaaaaaah…!) Also ANY tips for entertaining (suggested books or music) would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Hey leaflowers2! This is something I know about, although my daughter is 7, so I’m a bit fuzzy on that age, but we’ve traveled with her throughout and have been raw with her for 9 months. We’re about to travel by air too, and my plan is to take ingredients like pecans, walnuts, almonds, hemp seeds, dried coconut, dried fruits, spices, coconut oil, honey, etc. etc., lay them all out on the counter and start combining them in the food processor to make snack balls of every imaginable flavor. We have the advantage of having a fridge as soon as we arrive so I can store them when we get there, but you could always just make enough for the plane.

As far as entertainment goes, our savior has always been books on tape/cd. We started out with a cassette walkman when she was in the stroller and a box of tapes, but now you could download them to an iPod. They got us through every long line and she was happy to listen to them over and over. For music, our favorite is Stevesongs – he has at least 4 cd’s and they’re fabulous – you can order them online. We’ve seen him live, and he’s now on PBS in between shows. Good luck!!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Zoe’s “Cheese with Spring Onions” looks like a really good recipe that a toddler would like too. It calls for a dehydrator, but you can just put some of the mixture in a tupperware as a spread. It really looks delicious. As far as the entertainment, you could bring some raw food books with really cool pictures (Raw Food Real World has really good pictures of desserts) if that would amuse her. Or maybe some books that are age-appropriate for her. Hope this helps a little.

• Thank you both very much for your suggestions. Amysue, snack balls will be perfect! And thanx for recommending Stevesongs!

• DeborahBeeDeborahBee Raw Newbie

In the UK there are some raw fruit and nut readymade bars available. They are called Nakd bars.

Try hiding your a couple of your daughter’s favourite toys and pack them in your bag for the flight. If your daughter starts to play up, pull out one of the toys. Hopefully she’ll be so pleased to see one of her lost favourite toys that she’ll be distracted for a while.

• We’ve flown with DS several times. He’s 20mos old now.

Larabars are raw and my son LOVES them. If she’s nursing or still using a paci or bottle, give that to her at take off and landing to help with the ear pressure. Hylands Homeopathics makes some stuff called “Calms Forte” you can get at Wholefoods or the Healthfood store. I haven’t used it on the plane yet, but it seems to help my son calm down at night when he’s particularly wound up. I’d try some books or toys that are new to her. New usually will keep their interest longer. As a very last resort, I pack some Yummy Earth Organic lollypops. Not raw, but there is nothing more stressful for mom than a meltdown in flight. Since he never has candy it has proven to be a successful tantrum distractor/preventer.

• Cheerydeb: Nakd bars sound wonderful.

Mamk: THANK YOU. Great suggestions. I didn’t think of lollipops, but you have a great idea for a plane trip. Calms Forte… wish I had heard of that one sooner, lol. I think you may have saved me!